Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

maybe practice a little while I'm at it.
    I hope that was a joke. If you don't seriously practice and verify by destructive testing (you've got your cutoff rear frame section for scrap) then have someone else weld it. No "maybe"! You have access to a proper MIG, but that MIG is a doorstop without a proficient operator. You already did it your way once and fucked up. Save "your way" for less dangerous/expensive choices until you develop more skill. All it takes is determination and taking your time!

Post pics of your practice joints before welding your frame.

Do it right and ride easy!

Comment

• shovel625
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by ScubaSheen
      Update: when this hardtail was welded on, it had reinforcement sleeves inside each tube at the weld location, well as 3 plug hole welds for each frame rail + 3 for the backbone. Would it still be too sketchy to just weld a bead over the cracks and primer them?
      The problem with MIG is that its pretty easy to lay down a nice looking weld bead, that may not have great penetration. Dont lay a bead straight over the crack. It needs to be grooved out in a v shape. If it were my frame and cracked, i would v out the crack (find where it begins and ends, how deep it is). Id then lay a base TIG weld with 1/16'' filler and then a cap with 3/32" rod

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;