CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Acquired 86 Yamaha Venture Royal 1300...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myventure2.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	92539

bigger first project than i hoped for, but seems to be great value

hoping to bobber this one, need to safety first i think.

what are your recommendations/ideas for this bike?

Name:	myventure1.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	92543

If anyone can point me in the right direction for navigating the Ontario moto registration that would be great as i have never bought a motorcycle before.

Currently have a suspended licence so i don't intend on riding it much for at least a year, but the point is to mod it, so i want to know how i need to register and safety it.

list of things i would like to see post stock legal legitimization

-removal and sale of useless plastics, fenders, luggage, electronics

-fix motor as its missing timing and idles rough (full rebuild?)

-maintain carbs

-fork oil seal

-check all gaskets and seals

-lower seating position

-fab or source stems to fit 7/8 bars

-fab bars

-lower suspension

-sissy bar?

-is it possible to convert to chain drive?

anyhow will learn as i go and hopefully get this massive beast running well, safetied, transferred.

here is a cool example i saw online for inspiration

and always thank you for all your help

Name:	rat_trap1.jpg 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	92540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rat_trap3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	92541
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails myventure1.JPG  
    Last edited by GhostLemone; 03-31-2019 at 9:29 PM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by GhostLemone View Post

Name:	myventure2.JPG 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	92539

bigger first project than i hoped for, but seems to be great value

hoping to bobber this one, need to safety first i think.

what are your recommendations/ideas for this bike?

Name:	myventure1.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	92543

If anyone can point me in the right direction for navigating the Ontario moto registration that would be great as i have never bought a motorcycle before.

Currently have a suspended licence so i don't intend on riding it much for at least a year, but the point is to mod it, so i want to know how i need to register and safety it.

list of things i would like to see post stock legal legitimization

-removal and sale of useless plastics, fenders, luggage, electronics

-fix motor as its missing timing and idles rough (full rebuild?)

-maintain carbs

-fork oil seal

-check all gaskets and seals

-lower seating position

-fab or source stems to fit 7/8 bars

-fab bars

-lower suspension

-sissy bar?

anyhow will learn as i go and hopefully get this massive beast running well, safetied, transferred.

here is a cool example i saw online for inspiration

and always thank you for all your help

Name:	rat_trap1.jpg 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	92540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rat_trap3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	92541
    Making that look good wont be easy�� best of luck to you!
    And if you have zero engine experience (sounds like you dont) dont go tearing a massive, complicated V4 engine apart. It will only take up space for years, lying in boxes because you gave up, or ruined some part that cant be bought. Its probably just running rough due to lack of use/carb maintenance.
    Last edited by datadavid; 04-01-2019 at 12:45 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Its probably just running rough due to lack of use/carb maintenance.
    That's standard for garage sitters. Carbs will need stripping and dipping, not spray cleaning. Buy a JIS screwdriver set because Jap bikes don't use Phillips screws. Vessel make good ones. See Amazon. Fuel system will need cleaning. Do not omit that step. You can, and I do, use a test tank for convenience instead of stock fuel tanks when troubleshooting. Do NOT try to figure out taking apart carbs without study. Do NOT totally disassemble those carbs! Know why you shouldn't want to do that. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. Take many pics of cable routing, carb linkage, etc before and during removal. Inspect the rubber carb boots for cracking. If they leak it will never run correctly and 1986 was a very long time ago.

Obtain a manual. Find Venture forums. Study the fuck out out of both before turning a wrench. Then study more and never stop. You'll thank me later.

its missing timing
    That statement has no meaning. Learn correct terms so you THINK in correct terms.

The first thing to do is blow any leaves etc from around the spark plugs and remove them for visual inspection. The second is to perform a compression check on all four cylinders before you do anything else. If they're reasonably good per the manual, install fresh spark plugs.

Then you can infer your top end is in OK condition. (Were it not, it wouldn't be worth rebuilding. If you want to tear down engines for experience begin with junkers that aren't going back together, and follow the service manual.)
    It's been done on it's VMAX relative but it's also rather stupid since shaft is far more reliable, doesn't cost extra, and you already own one. If you want a classic chain drive machine, fix the Venture, sell the Venture, use the money for something you do want. Or ride the Venture stock-ish and buy a different project because he who makes his project his daily is often a pedestrian. You could contact these folks to see if they can convert yours, but you could buy another motorcycle for what that'll end up costing:

http://www.madmax.com/hot_products1.htm

Change all fluids including coolant. Fork oil can of course wait until you get to the seal.
    Last edited by farmall; 05-16-2022 at 1:31 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Why would you want to? Shaft drives work well in choppers and you already got one.

Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    That's standard for garage sitters. Carbs will need stripping and dipping, not spray cleaning. Buy a JIS screwdriver set because Jap bikes don't use Phillips screws. Vessel make good ones. See Amazon. Fuel system will need cleaning. Do not omit that step. You can, and I do, use a test tank for convenience instead of stock fuel tanks when troubleshooting. Do NOT try to figure out taking apart carbs without study. Do NOT totally disassemble those carbs! Know why you shouldn't want to do that. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. Take many pics of cable routing, carb linkage, etc before and during removal. Inspect the rubber carb boots for cracking. If they leak it will never run correctly and 1986 was a very long time ago.

Obtain a manual. Find Venture forums. Study the fuck out of those before turning a wrench. Then study more and never stop. You'll thank me later.

That statement has no meaning. Learn correct terms so you THINK in correct terms.

The first thing to do is blow any leaves etc from around the spark plugs and remove them for visual inspection. The second is to perform a compression check on all four cylinders before you do anything else. If they're reasonably good per the manual, install fresh spark plugs.

Then you can infer your top end is in OK condition. (Were it not, it wouldn't be worth rebuilding. If you want to tear down engines for experience begin with junkers that aren't going back together, and follow the service manual.)

It's been done on it's VMAX relative but it's also rather stupid since shaft is far more reliable, doesn't cost extra, and you already own one. If you want a classic chain drive machine, fix the Venture, sell the Venture, use the money for something you do want. Or ride the Venture stock-ish and buy a different project because he who makes his project his daily is often a pedestrian. You could contact these folks to see if they can convert yours, but you could buy another motorcycle for what that'll end up costing:

http://www.madmax.com/hot_products1.htm

Change all fluids including coolant. Fork oil can of course wait until you get to the seal.
    Thanks. Will try to find carb rebuild parts also.

Get Adobe Flash player

I will save you a lot of money. I have many years of experience in motorcycle shops.
    Do not buy a carb rebuild kit. That is car thinking. That would really set you back. If you have no motorcycle experience its even worse.
    All you need to do is remove the float bowls ,remove the idle jets and make sure you can see daylight through them.
    That is 99.9% of the problem from a bike that has been sitting. With 4 carbs the idle jets are small and get clogged from old gas just sitting.
    Don't take the carbs all apart. Not necessary!
    New fuel filter and check inside the tank for rust. Just drain some gas (if any) out of the petcock into a glass jar. See what up.
    This V4 had hydraulic lifters! No adjustment needed!

Remove all of the Grandpa gear,I mean cruising gear. LOL
    Last edited by Luky; 04-04-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Gaskets and o-rings if needed should be obtainable without buying a full kit if you need any. If you end up needing kits they aren't too expensive. Example K&L kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Kits-Yama...9/192312061034

If it ain't flooding then it doesn't need new needles, but inspect needle and seat using a bright light.

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Librar...=001010&id=366 may be useful.

Use hollow ground multibit style/gunsmith style screwdrivers on carb jets because the sides of the tip are parallel where they engage the screw. Wedge-shaped common screwdrivers are for carpentry and pry bars. I mod my jet screwdriver tips a bit further and make them look like

)_( instead of I_I

viewed from the side so they slightly hook the bottom of the slot in the jet instead of smearing the top. My mentorbro came up with that in the 1950s and it works superbly. Do a neat job.

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...nd-Screwdriver

Quote Originally Posted by Luky View Post
    I will save you a lot of money. I have many years of experience in motorcycle shops.
    Do not buy a carb rebuild kit. That is car thinking. That would really set you back. If you have no motorcycle experience its even worse.
    All you need to do is remove the float bowls ,remove the idle jets and make sure you can see daylight through them.
    That is 99.9% of the problem from a bike that has been sitting. With 4 carbs the idle jets are small and get clogged from old gas just sitting.
    Don't take the carbs all apart. Not necessary!
    New fuel filter and check inside the tank for rust. Just drain some gas (if any) out of the petcock into a glass jar. See what up.
    This V4 had hydraulic lifters! No adjustment needed!

Remove all of the Grandpa gear,I mean cruising gear. LOL
    Ok. So clean carb parts, and filters, gas tank rust. Anything else that should be cleaned restored?

Any advice on removing all the electronic stuff and computer stuff? Won't need all the speakers and trouble sensors n stuff.

I'm planning on stripping it down and selling off the touring gear. I heard that a Vmax rear end will increase the top speed but also heard that moding the bike will actually hinder its performance so probably going to keep it as stock as possible. Probably chop the rear frame section lower to the tire and bob the rear fender.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0705.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	92662
    Last edited by GhostLemone; 04-05-2019 at 9:49 AM.

Gaskets and o-rings if needed should be obtainable without buying a full kit if you need any. If you end up needing kits they aren't too expensive. Example K&L kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Kits-Yama...9/192312061034

If it ain't flooding then it doesn't need new needles, but inspect needle and seat using a bright light.

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Librar...=001010&id=366 may be useful.

Use hollow ground multibit style/gunsmith style screwdrivers on carb jets because the sides of the tip are parallel where they engage the screw. Wedge-shaped common screwdrivers are for carpentry and pry bars. I mod my jet screwdriver tips a bit further and make them look like

)_( instead of I_I

viewed from the side so they slightly hook the bottom of the slot in the jet instead of smearing the top. My mentorbro came up with that in the 1950s and it works superbly. Do a neat job.

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...nd-Screwdriver
    Oh ok I have a way to grind a perfect rake angle on to a flat head screw driver. And thanks for the resources.

Get Adobe Flash player

Review the wiring schematics, then delete what you don't need. Assume nothing, know what each component does before you act. There is no "stuff", there are components which perform specific tasks you either need or don't. Now and forever think in specifics.

Printing copies of your wiring schematic gives you copies to write on and highlight. I don't fuck up my service manuals that way.

Know, don't guess, how to wire properly. Study relentlessly. Know theory of operation. Study wiring threads here and build a good wiring kit with proper crimpers, heat gun etc. If you've not done a lot of wiring practice on scrap first. Use as little electrical tape as possible. Heat shrink is cheap in bulk via Ebay along with wire, lugs and other supplies.

https://yamahaventure.nl/xvz-1300.html

You can have your local print shop make oversize prints if that helps or zoom the .pdfs on a large monitor.

https://yamahaventure.nl/pdf/86-89xv...uitdiagram.pdf
    Last edited by farmall; 04-05-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Review the wiring schematics, then delete what you don't need. Assume nothing, know what each component does before you act. There is no "stuff", there are components which perform specific tasks you either need or don't. Now and forever think in specifics.

Printing copies of your wiring schematic gives you copies to write on and highlight. I don't fuck up my service manuals that way.

Know, don't guess, how to wire properly. Study relentlessly. Know theory of operation. Study wiring threads here and build a good wiring kit with proper crimpers, heat gun etc. If you've not done a lot of wiring practice on scrap first. Use as little electrical tape as possible. Heat shrink is cheap in bulk via Ebay along with wire, lugs and other supplies.

https://yamahaventure.nl/xvz-1300.html

You can have your local print shop make oversize prints if that helps or zoom the .pdfs on a large monitor.

https://yamahaventure.nl/pdf/86-89xv...uitdiagram.pdf
    How come Farmall gets all the cool ads? LOL..

These are Great Bike's... Unless you intend on Modifying it. The Gas tank is under the Seat for a Couple reason's, 1 it keeps the center of gravity low making it feel like a much lighter Bike than it is. But 2, in it's place is a massive Downdraft Intake that sits very high and is hard to hide. It also works very well, and unless your a Carburetor Wizard I wouldn't suggest Removing it. To be honest Man, unless you have significant Fabrication Skill's your probably gonna wanna leave it as is. Cause if you think it's ugly now, you ain't seen nothin..

On the Plus side these really are great Bike's. After a Clutch Upgrade my 84 does 0-60 in 3.9 Second's. This is the Motor they based the Vmax on, and though it's not the best sounding it makes good Power. Mine also has 77k on it, and after replacing the YICS Plumbing it Runs like OJ Simpson. My suggestion would be, if you wanna Build a Bike Sell this thing. Take the Money and Buy an old CB-750 or something for a Project and Start there. And the end of the Day this isn't the Bike you want.. Good Luck.

Get Adobe Flash player

Below is the coolest Venture I've ever seen. Very "Road warrior". I used to be on a forum with the guy who owned it and did the work (hey Zag, are you reading this?).

But I would have blacked it out completely. Those damn blue hoses .

Both pics are the same bike. It's one of the very few bikes that I have ever coveted. I even considered buying a Venture to produce a similar bike.

Share This