CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Just Another Budget Evo Sporty Chop Build Thread

What's up guys, I'm gonna start posting my build progress on my Sportster here so I don't flood Instagram with it. I've been riding for the past 7 years but mainly messed with 70s Hondas. I've had a couple of Harleys, but I'm finally at a point where I have the patience to actually see something go from the ground up and stick with it.

The bike started as a 1986 Sportster 1100 with the 4-speed transmission. Here's a pic of the day I picked her up from a guy here in Phoenix. It was around September 2017.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dayigotit.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	304.6 KB 
ID:	92167

It had awful chrome skeleton hand mirrors, a 98 XL1200 tank, solo seat, different front wheel, custom pipes, but ran great. I putted around on it for a few months making minor upgrades here and there.

I swapped the seat for a Prism Supply king & queen, and my friend welded me up a ridiculously tall (for a swingarm bike anyway) sissy bar.

Name:	swingarm1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	92168

Name:	swingarm2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	92169

I bought a house in April of 2018 and finally had a place to take it all apart and not get in trouble with my landlord. I started tearing it apart in January 2019. Here's a pic of the bare frame.

Name:	bareframe.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	92170

I decided to go with the Haifley Bros hard tail, and since I'm conveniently in Phoenix where they are based, I dropped the frame off at their shop and had them weld it on. I don't know how to weld and don't have a garage. I work on this bike on my back porch and spare bedroom.

Name:	hardtail.jpg 
Size:	299.8 KB 
ID:	92171

I sprayed it with a couple cans of gloss black Krylon. Doesn't look the best, but this is a budget build and I'm not building a show bike. I'm maxed out on pics for this post so I'll continue below.

Rattle canned frame:

Name:	rattlecanframe.jpg 
Size:	302.1 KB 
ID:	92179

My whole goal with this bike is to not half-ass it, even though I'm on a budget. I've half-assed way too many projects and I want to do this bike right. I knew if I kept the 1100 and 4 speed that I would end up regretting it, so I sold the engine and transmission to a shop in New River who disassembled it and made the parts into trophies for a Toys for Tots ride. I thought that was pretty cool.

Name:	toysfortots.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	295.3 KB 
ID:	92180

I rolled down to Marana, AZ to meet this guy who posted about having Sportster parts on Craigslist. He was this wild old chopper dude who told me his name was Mugshot. I traded some stock shit from my bike that I wasn't gonna use anymore and handed him some cash and got a 21" wheel, 16" wheel, sprocket, and brake rotor.

Name:	rearwheel.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	302.1 KB 
ID:	92181

Name:	frontwheel.jpg 
Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	92182

I'm still in the process of cleaning up the rust from the spokes on the rear wheel. The front wheel was a really nice 80-spoke, but the hub was for a wide glide. I took it because for a second I was thinking about running a wide glide front end, but I decided I really don't like the look of wide glides on Sportsters, so I traded the wheel for a stock 39mm front end.

Name:	stockfront.jpg 
Size:	302.3 KB 
ID:	92177
    Last edited by dlabmarc; 03-19-2019 at 8:30 PM.

I hit a swap meet in Phoenix and picked up a nice peanut tank for a good price.

Name:	peanut.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	92178

That's about it for now. I dropped the tank off for paint today to a guy who paints out of his house. I ordered 39mm 6+ forks so the front end should be together in the next couple of weeks. I'm still on the hunt for a ton of different parts and an engine and transmission.

If you're in the Phoenix area and think you might have some stuff I could use, feel free to hit me up.

Been forever with no updates. Got the tank painted, front end together with 6+ forks, tracked down a 21" front wheel, and got her to be a roller. More recently I got the seat, sissy bar, and fender dialed in and mounted with the help of a friend who welds. Still need to figure out my kickstand situation.

Name:	sportychop.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	100268

Name:	sportychop2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	100269

No idea why they're sideways, I can't figure this site out lol

Keep going man. You’re soo close. As far kickstand goes. Here you are:

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/black-...SABEgJT1vD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Cam87sporty View Post
    Keep going man. You’re soo close. As far kickstand goes. Here you are:

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/black-...SABEgJT1vD_BwE
    Unfortunately that's the one I bought, well the chrome one but same product otherwise. It's too short with my +6 front end, the bike had way too much lean to the point it was sketchy. Plus I'm in AZ and during the summer the asphalt gets so hot your kickstand will dig into it and that one is too pointed lol. I think I'm gonna try to find a stock one off a Dyna and have my friend fab up a mount, unless anyone else has any ideas

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

http://www.bungking.com/kickstand-lift-block/

They make them in +1" and +2".

Share This