CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Frame info

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Frame info

Any wizards on here know what this is for?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00D0D_d4bsOB1wHsX_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	86410

SamHain

early shovelhead with a wonky hardtail....or maybe even a drop seat frame.
    Last edited by SamHain; 08-12-2018 at 9:36 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Any casting numbers visible? on the axleplate? Top motor mount?

No wizard, but I saw this which may help:

"A straight leg frame with a key lock in the neck is a late '54-'57."...
    http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...-Frame-ID-help

"58 to 64 frames all have production dates on the top motor mount.
    64 was also last of 5/16s seat T bolt.all later used 3/8s bolt.
    68 was last of steering head lock.
    64 was last of step down frame at oil tank area.
    69 and later had gusset repairs near tranny on l/h side of frame near swing arm attach area yet available for earlier frames.
    58 to 64 parts will fit into later 65 frames yet not all 65 later parts will fit into earlier ones,like oil tank and battery box..."
    https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shove...ide-frame.html

Get Adobe Flash player

Yep it looks like a hardtailed Shovel frame to me...

Get Adobe Flash player

The neck is dead giveaway on a Shovel powerplant

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperDani View Post
    The neck is dead giveaway on a Shovel powerplant
    Yes sir you got that right...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by metalheart28 View Post

hardtailed shovelhead with one of those funky supports that welds all the way across the rear transmission mount, i had a frame with same style hardtail, a while ago.

Get Adobe Flash player

ok Thanks ya'll. Wasnt sure if it was something older that may have had some value.

Get Adobe Flash player

On the right side of the top motor mount there was at one time a date stamp. Yours may still be there. It consists of a number and a letter. The number will be the last digit of the year it was produced, and the letter will be the month. For example, I just looked at a frame that had 8H stamped in it. This means it was made in August of either 1958 or 1968. The one I looked at had 5/16" coil mount holes, so that makes it a frame made in 1958, and probably was for a '59 model. (I also knew it was a drop link frame before it was hardtailed, so I didn't really have to go by the coil mount holes.)

The frame you have could be a nice foundation for a Knucklehead, Big Twin Flathead, Panhead, or Generator Shovelhead bike, where the title goes with the engine. A Cone Shovel will also fit, but there will be titling hassles. An Evo engine will not fit in that frame without extensive modification.

As for value, and this is the opinion of a cheapskate, it's worth a minimum $500-$600, and I have seen people asking more that 3 times that for similar frames. Value will also be affected by whether or not the frame is straight.
    Last edited by MOTher; 08-13-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MOTher View Post
    As for value, and this is the opinion of a cheapskate, it's worth a minimum $500-$600, and I have seen people asking more that 3 times that for similar frames. Value will also be affected by whether or not the frame is straight.
    I think you are right on the price... If it was cleaned up and painted it might bring a grand on a good day if you found the right person......

Default Info on the #'s please

On the right side of the top motor mount there was at one time a date stamp. Yours may still be there. It consists of a number and a letter. The number will be the last digit of the year it was produced, and the letter will be the month. For example, I just looked at a frame that had 8H stamped in it. This means it was made in August of either 1958 or 1968. The one I looked at had 5/16" coil mount holes, so that makes it a frame made in 1958, and probably was for a '59 model. (I also knew it was a drop link frame before it was hardtailed, so I didn't really have to go by the coil mount holes.)

The frame you have could be a nice foundation for a Knucklehead, Big Twin Flathead, Panhead, or Generator Shovelhead bike, where the title goes with the engine. A Cone Shovel will also fit, but there will be titling hassles. An Evo engine will not fit in that frame without extensive modification.

I'm new here n wanting to figure out the casting & what ever other stamped #'s I can on old frame I picked up while back intending to build at some point n be able to get back out and ride be able to function without fighting with since my accident recently. U mentioned stamping yr n month I have a 7I stamped in mine n serious on as well as 48E-621 (something) and either a 8 or 3 under front cross member/mount on the frame. And a C on top left side of frame where seat would be. Any help would be appreciated. Apology for steppjng in on ur thread.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by metalheart28 View Post

shovelhead and these style hardtails must have been cheap or popular at some point in time, ive bought two seperate swap meet frames with that same hardtail, the axle plates and that plate brace behind the rear transimisson mount are the exact same. If its anything like the other two i encountered it'll be out of square and short on one side by 1/4" , dont pay too much for it

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
    I'm new here n wanting to figure out the casting & what ever other stamped #'s I can on old frame I picked up while back intending to build at some point n be able to get back out and ride be able to function without fighting with since my accident recently. U mentioned stamping yr n month I have a 7I stamped in mine n serious on as well as 48E-621 (something) and either a 8 or 3 under front cross member/mount on the frame. And a C on top left side of frame where seat would be. Any help would be appreciated. Apology for steppjng in on ur thread.
    pre 1970 no vin numbers were in the frame, if you have a 71 frame youll need a title for that frame number or submit paperwork to your state for a builders title

Get Adobe Flash player

we must be the biggest cheap-o's out here(midwest) that frame would bring 300-400 at best , at one of our meets. good buyers market though lol

Get Adobe Flash player

My guess is a 58-64 front section because it has both floorboard mounts. A 65-up frame doesn't have the left floor board mount... it mounts to the primary. I have a 68 frame sitting around and that's how it is. Of course someone could have added that as well.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey metal, I love the paint on ya profile pic, nice little bobber there.........
    real nice paint work....

Share This