Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdsbassist
    • Jun 2014

Older front end, newer bike

Trying to put a shovelhead narrowglide single disc fork setup on this Paughco evo frame. Seems like the stem is too small.

Chopper boys, tell me how I can make this possible....Click image for larger version

Name:	00Y0Y_fsGcPJizpWn_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1343841
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Looks like a Sportster front end. It has a 15/16 fork stem. You can use the '79 (?) XL tapered fork bearing (Timken). They go on the 15/16 stem, and fit the big twin races. That is, IF the fork stem is long enough. If not, swap the lower tree for one from an FXE and you are home free.

Jim

P.S. Looking more closely, it looks like you have the Timkens, so what's the problem?
    Last edited by JBinNC; 01-01-2019, 6:50 PM.

Comment

• sdsbassist
      • Jun 2014

Like this beast?

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

That's another XL tree, but a later one with one inch stem. Is the stem you have too short?

Jim

Comment

• sdsbassist
          • Jun 2014

Yes. Too short.

Can someone show me an example? I'd like to do the narrowglide style if possible.

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

That later XL tree may have a stem that is long enough, because it went with a redesigned frame, and a lot of those dimensions got commonized. But, I cannot tell you for sure if it is long enough.
            The FXE lower tree has the XL fork stops as part of the casting, like the one you have now, with the FXE fork stop welded on, and a one inch stem.

Jim

Comment

• sdsbassist
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by JBinNC
              That's another XL tree, but a later one with one inch stem. Is the stem you have too short?

Jim
              Yes I would like the narrowglide style with a longer stem.

Comment

• sdsbassist
                • Jun 2014

Current stem is 7 inches long

Comment

• Sky
                  • Aug 2009

Three (four?) different Harley front ends referred to as "narrow glide"
                  Are your tubes 35mm?

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                    • Oct 2016

I have the '73 Kayaba 35mm FX narrow glide on my panhead. The FX trees work like a champ on the old panhead frame.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                      I have the '73 Kayaba 35mm FX narrow glide on my panhead. The FX trees work like a champ on the old panhead frame.
                      Yes sir they will work just fine...... And should work on his frame...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                        • Dec 2017

Got nothin' for stem length, but some great info posted by M.O.Ther in 2012 in this thread:

Need a lesson on narrow glide forks
                        Q: "Want to put narrow glide forks on my hardtail fx frame build. Is it the sportys that got 35mm tubes and the fx got 39mm tubes?? Do the sporty forks/trees fit in the fx/flh neck?"
                        Best A:
                        "There are 3 basic types of Harley narrowglide forks. The first ones are 1 5/16" (or about 33.4 mm) and were used on K models, Sportsters, and the first Superglides through about 1972. Only those two years of Superglides had 1" stems and will fit directly in your FX frame. Forks are kinda light, too and are set up for drum brakes. Sliders are steel...you need to know whether you have Showa or Kayaba sliders. Easy way to tell, the Showa have bolt on axle caps on both lowers, the Kayaba only on one side. As for the length, the FXS (Lowrider) and FXB (Sturgis) came with fork tubes that were 2" longer than the FX and FXE.

35 mm forks, made first by Kayaba and then Showa, in Japan, showed up with the disc brakes in the early '70's. The FX trees will have a 1" stem, as will the XL ones after '82. Earlier XL trees will be either 7/8" or 15/16" ('78-'81) These are available set up for the pie slice caliper and cloverleaf rotor, dual disc calipers with 10" rotors, or a later single (or sometimes optional dual) disc caliper with 11.5" rotor(s.) These forks are small enough to look light and minimal, but strong enough to work well and hold up.

The best ones (my opinion,) and probably the easiest to find, are the '87 and later 39mm Showa built forks. The lowers are set up for the pre 2000 single piston caliper, the 2000 and later 4 piston caliper, or the XL Nissan caliper, all in single or dual disc. Sometime in the early part of last decade, HD changed over to 1" and then 25 mm axles. All the trees will have 1" stems. I think the '87 FX had a steel lower tree, but the rest are all aluminum. Fork stops are little nubs on the lower tree that bump up against a stop on the front of the steering tube. Watch for nubs that have been sheared off, an indicator of accident damage. Also, for a Sportster tree on your FX frame, you may have to cut off the lock tab.

There are also aftermarket steel trees for most of those forks as well as the 41 mm And, you can bore a set of 39mm trees to take the 41 mm tubes, if that suits you. Lots of options."
                        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

Did you get a top nut for that front end? Look at the parts breakdown and you can see how that nut is a sleeve which fits into the top triple clamp.

Without the nut the stem may appear too short. Loosely assemble what you have on the frame to see because the stems don't protrude past the top triple clamp casting. Pic shows correct nut.

The best ones (my opinion,) and probably the easiest to find, are the '87 and later 39mm Showa built forks.
                          Megadittos here, but OP may just want to use up a leftover front end. Bearings as mentioned above will get that done. Check factory parts book etc for the dust cover etc part numbers.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• sdsbassist
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by farmall
                            Did you get a top nut for that front end? Look at the parts breakdown and you can see how that nut is a sleeve which fits into the top triple clamp.

Without the nut the stem may appear too short. Loosely assemble what you have on the frame to see because the stems don't protrude past the top triple clamp casting. Pic shows correct nut.

Megadittos here, but OP may just want to use up a leftover front end. Bearings as mentioned above will get that done. Check factory parts book etc for the dust cover etc part numbers.
                            Thanks farmall. Over the years I've appreciated your input. I don't have a stem nut. I'll go check and post a pic.

Comment

• sdsbassist
                              • Jun 2014

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190103_225849.jpg
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	1307308

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190103_225849.jpg
Size:	296.5 KB