CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: gas tank sealer

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default gas tank sealer

I coated my gas tank with Red Kote tank sealer last spring. Now, its winter and I cant put stabilitizer in gas because it might break down Red Note. Do anybody have experience with Red Kote out there in ChopCult?

Get Adobe Flash player

this is why I have been telling everyone not to ''seal'' tanks,... no fucking need for it as it creates more problems than it solves,... there is no ''sealent'' that is alcohol proof and modern fuels and ''stabalisers'' WILL fuck them up, plus if you have a leak you cannot fix it properly by welding....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 963.jpg   964.JPG   962.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Drain the tank and carb, leave the cap off so the rest will evaporate out....... Problem solved....

Get Adobe Flash player

My tank had a decent amount of rust/old gas in it. It was sitting since 1984, I did the whole BB and nut shake to clean along with a product called safest rust remover. Then I used Red-Kote, unfortunately when I did this I really didn't do any research and wish I had waited until I was ready to run my tank to clean it and just fill it with gas. I used the Red-Kote because I didn't want my tank to rust again. That being said my liner has not failed, however it is always on my mind and after reading what others have to say about tank liners I fully regret it. My paint is from '75(my profile picture) and if it does fail it will be a pain in the dick to remove it without harming the paint. Might carefully try to go the M.E.K. route this winter just to get back to bare metal, also heard "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner will remove the liner but you need to fill your tank almost all the way with water and add a little bit since it has hydrochloric acid in it. I do regret lining my tank, which is 100% my fault since I did not do the research. Hope you figure out a solution, and if you do be sure to let us know!

Get Adobe Flash player

You don't need stabilizer if you drain the fuel tank and carb, so do that instead.

I also bring my batteries indoors and keep them on tenders.

Get Adobe Flash player

In case anyone was curious I reached out to Damon Industries(Red-Kote) with regards to the usual time frame to let the acetone/MEK sit and one of their chemists responded that it usually takes 2-3 days to dissolve the entire coating.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by kendall666 View Post
    In case anyone was curious I reached out to Damon Industries(Red-Kote) with regards to the usual time frame to let the acetone/MEK sit and one of their chemists responded that it usually takes 2-3 days to dissolve the entire coating.
    That's great to know... I'm glad something will break it down...

Get Adobe Flash player

On the west coast you need gas tank sealer otherwise the inside of the tank starts rusting very quickly.
    The problem is alcohol in the fuel attracts water. That is also why very small engine that run on gas won't start correctly.
    The idle jet is vey small and can get clogged with gooey gas or a drop of water.
    Big V twins have larger idle jets so it is not a problem. Many city and county and emergency generators also fail to start because they sit for more than 60 days and develop the same problems with not starting because of clogged idle jets.

SamHain

I’m on the west coast and will absolutely never run rank sealer.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Luky View Post
    On the west coast you need gas tank sealer otherwise the inside of the tank starts rusting very quickly.The problem is alcohol in the fuel attracts water. .
    Wrong,... oil based products like motor oil, gearbox oil & petrol/gasoline attract water,
    hence emulsified oil in the gearbox or motor when you don't run the motor long enough on a regular basis to boil out the water,
    if you run it everyday for 30-50 miles you never get the problem as it has been hot enough to keep the water at bay.
    water In the fuel sits at the bottom of the tank as oil floats on water being lighter per volume,
    water will not mix with oil, but it will mix with Alcohol, and in turn, when water is mixed with alcohol it will then mix with oil products like petrol/gasoline and in small enough quantities will go through the motor leaving your tank water free, It is why ''DRY GAS'' is sold.
    in small amounts it is harmless but the amounts of alcohol put in fuel for all the bullshit reasons greedy oil company's and lying government fucks use, is harmful to engine components, fuel lines, seals, ''O'' rings tank ''Sealants'' etc etc etc.....
    It has no place in fuel unless put in by the vehicle owner for whatever reason he wants to do it for.
    Last edited by tzienlee; 11-16-2018 at 5:07 AM.

Bought a sealed tank once. Dont know which sealer it looked grey. Till it started coming apart then it looked like something else ? Never sealed one. Had a few rusted over the years. I always put in 16 oz or so of naval jelly, rotated it around several times over 24 hr, poured out, checked, redid if necessary, then rinsed out, sprayed in a generous dose of penetrant like deep creep, rotated all around, let sit 24 more, then poured out and used it. Never had to do a tank the second time.

Get Adobe Flash player

kerosine with a few small washers, inside the tank, slosh it around, dump and repeat as much as neccesary. thats all i do before i run a tank

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by shovel625 View Post
    kerosine with a few small washers, inside the tank, slosh it around, dump and repeat as much as neccesary. thats all i do before i run a tank
    Do you rinse the kerosene out with gas before you run it?

Get Adobe Flash player

Just let it drain out for an hour or so,.. there is so little of it after draining it won't hurt the running at all, it won't even be noticed,....

Get Adobe Flash player

I bought a pair of fatbobs, the guy threw in some of that redcoat, never used it in them, heck the tanks aren't even mounted to anything yet, (you cannot rush into these things, lol)!
    I think now of the advice here, just add kerosene or WD40 to them if necessary, drain out, and go from there.
    Thought I read somewhere about apple vinegar as a rust neutralizer, not sure.
    Last edited by 10scDust; 11-28-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't think that tank liners are inherently a problem. Harley has been lining tanks at the factory for a long time. This does not lead to problems down the road. The problems arise from using outdated products (Kream) and - perhaps most importantly - fucking up the prep work.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by OakBehringer View Post
    I don't think that tank liners are inherently a problem. Harley has been lining tanks at the factory for a long time. This does not lead to problems down the road. The problems arise from using outdated products (Kream) and - perhaps most importantly - fucking up the prep work.
    just look at the pictures I posted above,.... they were factory sealed tanks,... Fucked by alcohol gas !!…. WELD IT PROPERLY DONT BODGE IT !!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    just look at the pictures I posted above,.... they were factory sealed tanks,... Fucked by alcohol gas !!…. WELD IT PROPERLY DONT BODGE IT !!!
    Are you the original owner of that tank? What era is it from?

I'd bet my life something other than simply running standard pump fuel lead to that tank's demise. It just doesn't add up... there's millions of Harley's in the USA not having that problem. Like, every factory sealed Harley is not having that problem. My 2006 has had pump gas in it for - you guessed it - 12 years. Nothing is wrong with it. Just like every other modern Harley.

Get Adobe Flash player

I bought from a friend who had them new on his bike he bought in 2003, 100th anniversary glide,... he bought from new and used alcohol gas and this happened,
    I cut them open, cleaned them out and TIG welded them up after,....he bought new tanks without sealer and used them happily …………….here in England we have different mix's of alcohol & Petrol depending where you go,.. you can find alcohol free petrol but it's not advertised as the green hippies are anti it,....
    Last edited by tzienlee; 11-28-2018 at 3:22 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I just did some Googling because I don't doubt your assertions, and I find this to be interesting (maybe because I just lined a tank with Caswell epoxy sealer, and haven't filled it with gas yet).

This post:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...re-help-2.html

Describes a similar scenario that you are. And he says that HD tanks stopped getting lined in 04. I just went out to check my '06 sporty to confirm that it's lined... I have too much gas in the tank to easily tell if it's lined.

*shrugs*

I still lean toward this logic: I have been all over MC forums for 15 years. I have never heard of this happening (specifically, factory tank liners in modern bikes dissolving in ethanol). Just because I haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's not true - but I suspect I would have heard of it by now. And that other people would be jumping in here to say it happens. Same on the hdforums thread - no one confirms that it's thing that happens. And we all know that the guys on the guys on hdforums are a bunch of ding dongs that love to drink kool-aid and spread rumors and snake oil wisdom. They'd jump at any chance to chime in.

I kinda think there are some special circumstances leading to the issue you had with that tank.

BUT - regardless - it happened!

The question that interests me, that we will never be able to answer, is: how would the same tank have held up without liner?

Share This