X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QWERTYMage
    • Feb 2013

Rattle Can Paint Job questions.

Hey hey.

So here's my plan: I am gonna finally paint my tank and am looking to put down high-quality color with rattle can (because I can't afford a good compressor). I'm looking at http://www.automotivetouchup.com for primer and base coats. I want to clear coat matte and Eastwood has a 2k matte. (I had great luck with Eastwood 2K gloss clear - it laid nicely and was super wet looking. It also did a great job resisting gas spillage.)

My question is this: Would the Eastwood 2k adhere to the other brand OK, or is that a mistake waiting to happen?
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by QWERTYMage

My question is this: Would the Eastwood 2k adhere to the other brand OK, or is that a mistake waiting to happen?
    I don't think I would try it, But if it messes up and wrinkles or something like that at least it's just a small thing like a tank.....

It's never good to mix and match brands....

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

If you have the budget for decent paint, but not the compressor you might consider Preval. For just a tank and fender they would be budget friendly.

I have used them in the past on guitars or other small projects where I didn't want to break out the "big guns". You will do a bit more sanding before you buff, but you can get a glass like finish with even a decent paint.

-DB

Comment

• QWERTYMage
        • Feb 2013

Good to know. Damn... I was really wanting to spray matte.

I guess gloss it is.

Comment

• OakBehringer
          • May 2011

Why not get some Dupli-Color rattle cans? That shit works great. And you can get it at your local store. They also have high build, sandable primers in grey and white.

I know a lot of you guys have used SprayMax clearcoat on your paint jobs. I plan to rattle can my sporty's tank and fender but, I need to know can I use the S/M of a laquer base color coat.

Then.... SprayMax 2k Clear (two part, like eastwood), goes right over it. They make a Matte. Get it on Amazon.

Comment

• BuxBitza
            • Mar 2015

Tfl

Comment

• 7and7is
              • Dec 2012

I painted mine (tank) with Duplicolor, then cleared it with minwax polyurethane (from my searching the web a lot of folks have had no problem with gas spillage on the poly), and I had it professionally clear coated with 0 issues, I had a fender I painted with duplicolor engine paint and cleared with 2K with 0 issues, I think the trick is to let the paint really cure before you clear, flat or gloss.

2k over galvanized and duplicolor

tank with duplicolor with pro clear coat

Comment

• OakBehringer
                • May 2011

Dupli Color is a lacquer. If you are going to cover it in some 2k, you just have to let the lacquer "gas out" long enough (let the solvent in the lacquer evaporate). To achieve this, THIN coats of lacquer, allow to gas out after every 2-3 coats, and let it gas out for a couple weeks before you seal it all in with the 2k.

7and7is - GREAT JOB on that tank!

Comment

• 7and7is
                  • Dec 2012

Thanks, I plan on mounting that bitch this winter, or selling it.

Comment

• QWERTYMage
                    • Feb 2013

update... here it is. Imperfect, but I learned a lot and I'm fine with repainting in due time... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	1306599

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by QWERTYMage
                      update... here it is. Imperfect, but I learned a lot and I'm fine with repainting in due time... [ATTACH=CONFIG]89044[/ATTACH]
                      As long as you learned something, That's all that matters....

Comment

• 7and7is
                        • Dec 2012

That is damn fine work

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                          • Oct 2016

nice job, symmetry is so hard to do and it looks like you nailed it.

Comment

• 10scDust
                            • Jan 2018

My experience with a rattle can, is limited to my rat bike, and flat black paint! LOL

Comment

• Tricky13
                              • Mar 2017

Did mine with rattle cans...could have been a lot better with a gun and air brush but i couldn't get the colours i wanted easily.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;