CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Lifter Options

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Lifter Options

So I've got a '75 shovelhead. Spent a bunch of money getting the lower end balanced, new bearings, etc. New pistons, valves, guides, etc. I'm guessing I may as well get new lifters, tappets and all that too right?

Thing is, the set that came out are fine as far as I know. They are hydraulic lifters, adjustable pushrods.
    Didn't really run the bike but a few times before overhauling it. What do y'all think?

If I do get a new setup should I do solid or hydraulic lifters?

I'm thinking the Cam follower bearings are really the important part here that I don't want to fail. Is that common?

Looks like a decent new setup for everything will be around $500.

No hot doggin, pretty stock, just a mild J grind Cam.

Replace the tappets with a quality set, S+S, whatever you like, soilds or hyd. is a personal choice as well, I like solids in a Shovel but they will be noiser than Hyd. especially with a J grind.

Get Adobe Flash player

mic tappets and block, refit new rollers, I never trust lifters anymore and replace them on a fresh build and unknown motor

Get Adobe Flash player

Are the Sifton brand any good? They have some decently priced sets I have found that include the tappets,lifters, pushrods and even new blocks.

The problem I'm seeing with the Jim's ones is that I haven't seen a full set yet that include the tappets and lifters.

Get Adobe Flash player

If your going to buy the complete tappet assembly which comes with the rollers already installed, might be a good idea to mic the old tappets to make sure they are still at the std size of 0.731"

Dealing with these old motors ya never known what's been done in the past until ya throw down an eye-ball...

Jims makes this set ...

VT No: 11-2428
    Jims powerglide hydraulic tappet and pushrods. Tappets are standard size and comes with 4 pushrods.
    Fits:
    FL 1966-1984
    FX 1971-1984
    FLT 1979-1983
    FXR 1982-1983

Kinda a high dollar .... A few bucks more and you could have a set of Velvet Touch which come with blocks tappets and pushrods ...

http://shop.velvatouchlifters.com/pr...2&categoryId=1

The Sifton brand are V-Twins imports ....
    Last edited by Dragstews; 07-30-2018 at 5:12 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll definitely mic the bore in the tappet blocks to make sure I don't need an oversized set. The old ones feel real good in there, but will definitely measure.

I want good quality but I'm just curious what would be the difference in a set of Jim's compared to a set of Sifton's. Would it be the quality of the bearings, or perhaps the quality control on the precision sizing, etc?

I really don't want to pay $600+ for lifters/tappets.

Is there a good option for just replacing the weakest link? What is the weakest link in the hydraulic lifter system? My thought would be the bearing right? that's what would cause all the damage. If everything checks out as far is O.D. and I.D of block and tappet are all good would it be ok to just get new bearings? Or new lifter units? I'm just wondering if I really need a new setup or not?

Get Adobe Flash player

Very easy to just replace the rollers....

If your tappet body's are good in the block's bore, that would be the route to go...

As far as the hyd. units ... again if they was working fine before, reinstall em... Get the miles out of em as long as you can...

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool. Thanks. Again, I'm not trying to be super cheap. I understand you get what you pay for and I've spent the money on the motor up to this point. I don't want to cheap out on something and destroy the motor and make all that money wasted. I just want to make sure I spend wisely on the things I need.

Get Adobe Flash player

Search out Johnson HyLift. They make lifters for other name brands as well as their own line of lifters. Ive used them a few times, never had a problem, very reasonably priced and USA made. They dont sell direct, Ive bought them from "Parts 4 Power Toys" and from "AMS Moto Machine". They make a stock style lifter and a high performance style.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloudSalvage View Post
    Cool. Thanks. Again, I'm not trying to be super cheap. I understand you get what you pay for and I've spent the money on the motor up to this point. I don't want to cheap out on something and destroy the motor and make all that money wasted. I just want to make sure I spend wisely on the things I need.
    Smart man speaks words of wisdom right there.

Get Adobe Flash player

I am a fan of the Jims powerglide tappets, They are similar to the velva touch,
    as they act like a solid tappet at high RPM. Their Push rods are another story,
    I had one of Jims anodized aluminum (adjustable) push rods fail on my 93" pan
    engine, with about 1,000 miles of use. It was a bitch trying to get all of the
    aluminum splinters out of the crank case, apparently I missed one of them and
    it wedged between the pump gears and sheared off a woodruff key on the pump shaft.
    I ended up replacing the push rods with a set of comp cams chromolly p rods.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
    It was a bitch trying to get all of the
    aluminum splinters out of the crank case, apparently I missed one of them and
    it wedged between the pump gears and sheared off a woodruff key on the pump shaft.
    That's why I do and I suggest, anytime you get metal of any kind in the bottom end the cases need to be split and completely cleaned...

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0080.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	283.1 KB 
ID:	86457

That's a photo of that Jims P rod that shattered, I was told that Their treater
    screwed up on the heat treating or anodizing, making the aluminum brittle.

Tattoo, yes, as much of a pain it is to split the motor open, I agree with
    You, No guarantee that all the bits will come out by flushing alone.

Share This