Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hillcat
    • Mar 2015

Doug, you probably know better than anybody that rare does not necessarily mean valuable.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by hillcat
      Doug, you probably know better than anybody that rare does not necessarily mean valuable.
      That is very true. Especially in some of the brands like AJS & Matchless, I have some rare Triumphs and in competition models the TT or T120C race bikes are very desirable and command big money, but the single carb versions, mostly sold to west coast desert racers was the TR6SC Not just TR6C, which was a factory enduro, but the SC TR6 was a factory race bike like the TT/T120C and even MORE rare. But, the single carb race bikes while MORE rare are consistently valued lower and tend to sell at 30%-50% less.
      I tell many people that some of these bikes financially dont make sense but people work on them or restore them anyway.
      Recent debate with the Nortons is one of the aftermarket guys making new & improved repop cyl heads just closed up shop, $2500 for a bare cyl head. Some of the other parts are way crazy as well.
      WTF?? I can buy a NICE Buell for that money. Buells are rare (Relatively) and awesome all the way around and tons of fun, But they sell artificially cheap.
      Lot of bikes like that, Like XS650s were popular custom donor materials but now very rare to run into a cheap XS650

Comment

• Trey
        • Jul 2018

What do you guys think?

Hillcat, I'll email you later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3987A8E0-E768-4962-BA59-B095E8310A19.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1304593

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

Looks like you're ready to go fast now! That frontend is a huge upgrade -got a brake to mount on it? Good to see those coils are gone from under the seat. What will you be doin' for gas tank, oil tank and rear fender?

Here's another custom BSA for inspiration:

Name:	cyrilhuze-bsa1.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1304594

Name:	cyrilhuze-bsa2.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1304595
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Apr 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
            Looks like you're ready to go fast now! That frontend is a huge upgrade -got a brake to mount on it? Good to see those coils are gone from under the seat. What will you be doin' for gas tank, oil tank and rear fender?

Here's another custom BSA for inspiration:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]86545[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]86546[/ATTACH]
            http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/02/14/...bsa-lightning/
            That there is a purty trailer queen! Or hipster ornament. While it IS a very attractive bike, its about useless to ride except short distances. No heat shields from the pipes. (Leg burners-Although if he did an internal ceramic coating it might help), No chain guard (hope he has a well trained ol lady to clean it a lot) No room for an air cleaner, so that velocity stack is gonna be spitting fuel droplets all over that pretty paint. (Anyone who has run open carbs will tell you the same) Thats most likely a replica Indian or chinese made BSA or Enfield Girder and while they look cool, I would be super nervous to ride one for any distance over 15mph (No guts no glory for me), Plus no front fender so I live in Oregon so that rules out about 9-10 months out of the year. (Ever ride in the rain without a front fender?? It gets old leaning to the side to avoid the waterfall in your face and down your shirt)

So, it sure looks nice, but not a great real world example of a cool BSA Custom that is gonna be on the road.

One thing about Unit BSA A65s. MOST look like the frames bent in the middle so the OP and the example above WERE well done in that they dont look cobbled together in the hardtail dept. few people get that right.

Comment

• hillcat
              • Mar 2015

Stance is most important and looks way better.
              A great start... (Doug!)
              Keep us updated w/pics.

Comment

• Trey
                • Jul 2018

Thanks guys! I ordered one of those eBay India tanks. It will be good enough for what I need. Also have a pill style oil tank. Going to order some bias ply tires and a ribbed fender soon. Click image for larger version

Name:	F8AC8AB2-F9FE-4CD1-9BF4-8D8752628C3C.jpg
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	1304602

Comment

• Apr 2012

The Indian made stuff can be an excellent value for the money< I am very pleased many are making really obscure parts for bikes I long ago had thought I could never find sheet metal for (I Have some 1940s and early 50s stuff body work was un-ob-tain-ium which is a very rare alloy). However quaility is at times all over the map from junk to awesome, So PLEASE do report on your experience and who the seller was, (Very helpful!) I Have a few friends IN India and they tell me MOST of the sellers are middle men merchants and the guys making the stuff in most cases WOULD correct the issues if the actually knew about them, however most times the middle man doesnt pass it on, or never meets the actual maker. (FEEDBACK IS IMPORTANT)

As to tires,, your choice, your bike, but many people opt for the old school look of the bias plys, but when I had my shop I tried really hard to get people onto modern tires, NONE ever regretted that decision and neither did their butts. Most said "I cant believe I rode so long on that old junk, Man she rides so nice now! I fell in love with riding again!"

Depends also on the style of tires you want, but cant go wrong with Dunlop K70s, they were originally fitted and some purists are upset they no longer say "Made in England" so they take a grinder and shave the Made in japan off... But they still have the original block style tread. I use them a lot, and ride is decent, so is grip. And they LOOK period correct. Just my $0.02
                  Last edited by Dougtheinternetannoyance123; 08-18-2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Trey
                    • Jul 2018

The Dunlop will work for the rear. Any opinion for a 21" front?

Comment

• Apr 2012

am not sure the K70s come in a skinny 21 or not, But I can tell you that in my opinion stay away from the Avon Speedmasters. they are noticable and were a popular period tire but they had a weird tread of parallel lines but no shipping or break in the tread, Just look like someone pinstriped it with no breaks in the tread, In my experience they hydroplane the easiest of any tire I have ever seen so dont ride in the rain, plus they dont corner well or grip, plus the ride quality is poor.

What STYLE do you want? Enduro-off road style? Blocky period tread? Or a modern radial pattern? Around town or much freeway use? Daily rider or weekend putts? Typical speeds traveled? Any weight besides you and the bike? I am not a current tire expert but I know some and can ask. (I have a friend who holds 8 patents for tire design)

Comment

• Trey
                        • Jul 2018

Gas tank arrived today. If you are doing a restoration, I don't recommend it. For my purpose, it's fine. Some of the chrome is chipping already. The rib down the tank isn't great. Lots of grind marks. It'll hold gas though, so I'm OK with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	E0738805-2277-46CF-9A3C-ACD22FDD3002.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1304751

Comment

• Trey
                          • Jul 2018

New tires this week. It's getting there. Click image for larger version

Name:	A3629956-4C43-43CC-8BF9-A035604EAA96.jpg
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1305070

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                            • Dec 2017

New tires this week. It's getting there.
                            Ya,ya, lookin' good, a great transformation from post #1. (I still like the high pipes though).
                            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• GaryE
                              • Aug 2021

I know it's an old thread. Just ran on to it.

Need to clarify mis-information about the production numbers of 1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler.

Circulating around the internet for years is the mis-information that only 200 or 250 '68 Firebirds were produced. I don't know where all that started, but where ever I run on to it, I attempt to correct it.

Having been to the UK in 2010 and personally studied and researched the original factory production/dispatch books for two days, and having personally counted the production totals of several model machines, including the '68 Firebird (I own one), I can accurately say that the reported 200 or 250 is way low. 1,573 were produced and dispatched.

It would be great if BSA had only produced 200 or 250, as that would make mine that much more valuable, as a result of the small production quantity.

Also, the information quoted from a magaazine article in an earlier post on this thread has a lot of wrong information in it. The '68 Firebird came with hi-comp 10.5:1 pistons, NOT 9:1 as stated. The '68 Firebird was nicknamed "The Bonnie Eater" in reference to the Triumph.

Comment

• Apr 2012

Hey Gary! FYI,,, This forum had a major burp last month with a update, so much of 2020 is missing so big gaps in posts,. But secondly, Few people have as much knowledge as you on BSA Unit Twins as I have learned. Guys, this guy knows his stuff and been a huge help to me sorting out the trivia pursuit of 1963-73 unit twins.
                                Welcome to the Cult,,,, some interesting characters here.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;