CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread: New guy. 68 BSA

Gas tank arrived today. If you are doing a restoration, I don't recommend it. For my purpose, it's fine. Some of the chrome is chipping already. The rib down the tank isn't great. Lots of grind marks. It'll hold gas though, so I'm OK with it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0738805-2277-46CF-9A3C-ACD22FDD3002.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	86750

New tires this week. It's getting there. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3629956-4C43-43CC-8BF9-A035604EAA96.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	87138

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

New tires this week. It's getting there.
    Ya,ya, lookin' good, a great transformation from post #1. (I still like the high pipes though).

I know it's an old thread. Just ran on to it.

Need to clarify mis-information about the production numbers of 1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler.

Circulating around the internet for years is the mis-information that only 200 or 250 '68 Firebirds were produced. I don't know where all that started, but where ever I run on to it, I attempt to correct it.

Having been to the UK in 2010 and personally studied and researched the original factory production/dispatch books for two days, and having personally counted the production totals of several model machines, including the '68 Firebird (I own one), I can accurately say that the reported 200 or 250 is way low. 1,573 were produced and dispatched.

It would be great if BSA had only produced 200 or 250, as that would make mine that much more valuable, as a result of the small production quantity.

Also, the information quoted from a magaazine article in an earlier post on this thread has a lot of wrong information in it. The '68 Firebird came with hi-comp 10.5:1 pistons, NOT 9:1 as stated. The '68 Firebird was nicknamed "The Bonnie Eater" in reference to the Triumph.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey Gary! FYI,,, This forum had a major burp last month with a update, so much of 2020 is missing so big gaps in posts,. But secondly, Few people have as much knowledge as you on BSA Unit Twins as I have learned. Guys, this guy knows his stuff and been a huge help to me sorting out the trivia pursuit of 1963-73 unit twins.
    Welcome to the Cult,,,, some interesting characters here.

Thanks for the kudo's Doug. I don't mind helping out with information when I can.

Share This