Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lza555
    • Feb 2016

What is the skinniest a frame can be?

I'm building a frame for the first time for a divorced ironhead I've been working on and it just looks way too wide at 8" in between the bottom rails. I'm probably just gonna use a 16" sportster wheel and I was concerned about the chain scrubbing but it just looks fat. How skinny can I get it down to without that being an issue?
  • BurnoutNova
    • Oct 2013

Not trying to be a dick but if you are asking this question maybe you shouldn't be building frames?

Comment

• shovel625
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Lza555
      I'm building a frame for the first time for a divorced ironhead I've been working on and it just looks way too wide at 8" in between the bottom rails. I'm probably just gonna use a 16" sportster wheel and I was concerned about the chain scrubbing but it just looks fat. How skinny can I get it down to without that being an issue?
      as skinny as you want, as long as you make the engine fit

Comment

• bobberadam
        • Jan 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6545.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1303685

My frame is 1 5/8" wide.... does that help?

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by bobberadam
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]85360[/ATTACH]

My frame is 1 5/8" wide.... does that help?
          And it looks DAMN good to boot.....

Comment

• kmanator
            • Nov 2017

8 inch's Maybe too narrow for the chain and the mechanical brake rod? My Divorced Ironhead is 8- 3/8ths and would have liked another .250 in the span.I built a hybrid Sporty/Bigtwin frame with a fabbed hardtail section after stretching the lower bottom tubes 7 inches after cutting at the sporty casting/uptube motor mount section off to make real estate for the softail 5 speed.What year Sporty motor are you using?

Last edited by kmanator; 07-05-2018, 2:16 PM.

Comment

• Lza555
              • Feb 2016

Fuck off dude. I'm trying to learn about offsets and shit

Comment

• Lza555
                • Feb 2016

Yup lol I'm really worried about the rear end and the chain scrubbing. Not really the front half. Looks good though

Comment

• Lza555
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by kmanator
                  8 inch's Maybe too narrow for the chain and the mechanical brake rod? My Divorced Ironhead is 8- 3/8ths and would have liked another .250 in the span.I built a hybrid Sporty/Bigtwin frame with a fabbed hardtail section after stretching the lower bottom tubes 7 inches after cutting at the sporty casting/uptube motor mount section off to make real estate for the softail 5 speed.What year Sporty motor are you using?

Its a 74. I'm using a disk brake in the rear and after measuring everything it looks like it'll fit with about a quarter inch on each side but I've been looking at some choppers that look like they're 6" all the way back. It may just look that way though. Mind if I ask what you used for the primary?

Comment

• kmanator
                    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Lza555
                    Its a 74. I'm using a disk brake in the rear and after measuring everything it looks like it'll fit with about a quarter inch on each side but I've been looking at some choppers that look like they're 6" all the way back. It may just look that way though. Mind if I ask what you used for the primary?
                    I had the sportster motor sprocket milled into a hub then .006 interference press fit into a double row shovelhead compensator ring gear then welded after the offset was established then used an 82 link bigtwin primary chain.The final sprocket has a .500 offset to get the sweet spot between the primary chain/trans. and final drive chain alignment.
                    This is the ring gear I used:

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Interesting thread! More details always welcome.

Comment

• Lza555
                        • Feb 2016

Originally posted by kmanator
                        I had the sportster motor sprocket milled into a hub then .006 interference press fit into a double row shovelhead compensator ring gear then welded after the offset was established then used an 82 link bigtwin primary chain.The final sprocket has a .500 offset to get the sweet spot between the primary chain/trans. and final drive chain alignment.
                        This is the ring gear I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HARLEY-...EAAOSw4shYAREL
                        Awesome.that's the last thing I gotta do with the drivetrains I think. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

• Steelsmith
                          • Apr 2018

I love that single-loop frame, soo clean!
                          While an unconventional approach, this is a very valid question. When considered without preconcieved notions of what a frame is, the answer is only limited by your imagination and safety constraints.
                          Dream-on, dude!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;