Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luky
    • May 2018

Originally posted by Adammoto
    Ok sorry had a hell of a morning! But to answer y’alls questions I’d say it just dies! All the lights stay on ect ect so it’s still getting power which kinda tells me that it’s not the ignition but then again I could very well be wrong about that! And I also do not know what brand the ignition is the bike got past down to me from my grandpa so I really don’t know. Everything on it is top notch not cheap stuff I know that though. Thanks for all the help btw.
    Go ask grandpa and tell him what is going on with it. You never know. Old guys know a lot of stuff.

I am 68 and i answer questions for young guys all the time but if they saw me they would not talk to me, I answer welding questions. I was a certified welder and a welding inspector through the American Welding Society. On the internet they do not know my age.
    Last edited by Luky; 06-28-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Luky
      I am 68 and i answer questions for young guys all the time but if they saw me they would not talk to me,
      Why not I would think they would trust you even more because of your age... Hell I always have..... But now I'm one of those guys I looked up to... LOL Damn I don't believe I said that but we are...

Comment

• ghbloom
        • Sep 2017

This same issue I had on my 88 sportster. It ended up being the coil of I recall. If there is a crack in the copper windings, it will expand as the metal heats up causing a gap to large to send a spark therefore killing your engine. After it cools (and the copper shrinks) it will start back up until it gets warm again.

Replacing the ignition timing mod would also be a good idea as well. I had similar issues except the bike simply would not start up.

Good luck!

Comment

• Luky
          • May 2018

Originally posted by ghbloom
          This same issue I had on my 88 sportster. It ended up being the coil of I recall. If there is a crack in the copper windings, it will expand as the metal heats up causing a gap to large to send a spark therefore killing your engine. After it cools (and the copper shrinks) it will start back up until it gets warm again.

Replacing the ignition timing mod would also be a good idea as well. I had similar issues except the bike simply would not start up.

Good luck!
          Interesting story. Once I was working on a car and could not find the problem. Same symptoms.
          SO I went back to the beginning and checked the fuses but I used a magnifying glass. I found that a fuse was cracked but it would work until it got hot then the fuse blade would separate and kill the engine.

Comment

• Davestune
            • May 2014

Originally posted by rockman96
            Basing this on experiences with bad/going bad coils, I’m betting this is not your coil.

It could be the ignition, but there again, in my experience, they usually are dead or not. Obviously other folks have had different experiences. Know anyone with an old stock ign laying around that you could try?

Also make real sure there are no wires able to touch ground anywhere throughout the ign circuit. I’ve seen that too.
            not really as temperature rises it can fail, the stock evos use to do this before they shit the bed, and a coil can do the same thing

Comment

• WillSCB
              • Dec 2014

Again, instead of guessing or replacing parts willy-nilly, take it for a ride (with the gas cap first, then if it still does it, without) until it dies. Take a plug wrench or a spare plug with you. When it dies, remove the plug wire, attach it to the removed plug and ground it before it cools down. Crank the engine and see if you have spark. If you don't, you have an ignition issue. If you do, try removing the gas cap and see if that does it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;