Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tyrantleader
    • Apr 2018

Some help on wiring LED tail light.

Sup guys first time on here, got a vt600 I’ve been working on forever now and I just got the confidence to dive into the wiring, I was able to wire the turn signals, push start, on off switch(replacing key) and now I’m gettin into the tail light, the only LED on the bike. Once I got it wired I pushed on the brake and it blew my fuse, so I’m guessing I gotta add a resistor(kinda figure I would but I did it without one anyway) now the serious question, can I swap the stock one for a bigger amp one or how would this work? Wiring a mess right now, but one I get it sorted out and learn a bit Ima tuck it in. Thanks guys anything helps.
    Attached Files
  • sandmanred
    • Oct 2015

You typically only need to add a resistor to get the turn signal switch to see enough current to toggle. If you blew a fuse you likely mixed up the wires and when you push the button created a short. Check that you got the wires matched up right. Start by figuring out which one is the ground, more than likely the brake is wired to the ground rather than the brake lamp.

Comment

• Gabriel9102
      • May 2018

Hey man, im putting some tail with leds too, if im not wrong you need to change the turn signal relay and put some equalizer on then.

Comment

• 53Bash
        • Jan 2013

As @Sandmanred said... any LED replacing a stock filament bulb almost certainly uses much less current (just look at its dinky LED wires) so should not blow a fuse. That's one reason people love LED's (especially for headlights). You have a short somewhere. The one thing you should NOT do is just drop in a bigger fuse, because the whole point of a fuse is it should be the "weak link" that fails safely; if you beef up the fuse when you have a short, your wires / connectors become the "weak link" and fail by getting hot and melting / catching fire!

The problem with LEDs and turn signals (if you have such a problem - some newer solid state circuits don't care) comes from the fact that the LEDs use so much less current that the timing circuit in the flasher doesn't trigger properly. You either need a flasher relay that expects less current (LED flasher) or a resister that runs "next to" the LED and allows through some additional current.

I run a LED tail on my bike and wired it up just like the normal tail / brake / plate illumination units, no problems. I don't run any turn signals (not required for bikes in my state) so had no concerns with that.

Comment

• Tyrantleader
          • Apr 2018

That exactly what it was, my front break switches ar deleted so I deleted that break wire and I had 2 wires positive wires remaining, I I tied those together and everything worked fine! It was tricky to convert a 4,3 wire to 2 wires.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;