Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rene53catalina
    • Sep 2013

no shovelfun at all , barely came home yesterday , think it might be the dynatek ignition getting to hot inside the cone , has anybody ever seen something like a vented conecover?

Comment

• SamHain
      • Apr 2024

I haven’t seen one. Get some water in there you’ll be sad. And if the heats coming off the exhaust it may just find it’s way in easier.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by rene53catalina
        no shovelfun at all , barely came home yesterday , think it might be the dynatek ignition getting to hot inside the cone , has anybody ever seen something like a vented conecover?
        How does it start and run when cold? Did you check for any wire insulation or connections melted on the ign unit? A simple test could be to go for a run without the cone cover on for an air cooled effect to see if ign overheating is the cause. Which ign unit ya runnin'? Did you check the coil?

DYNA S: Why does Dynatek recommend 5 ohm coils for street use and 3 ohm coils for racing?
        The resistance of the coil determines how much current flows through the ignition system. The 3 ohm coils, because of their lower resistance, pass more current and therefore run warmer than the 5 ohm coils. This is most likely to occur under worst case conditions, such as creeping along in traffic on a hot day in Arizona (this isn¹t so great for an air cooled engine either!). Rather than get into the specifics of every application we make the general recommendation - 5 ohm for street, 3 ohm for race.
        NOTE: DO NOT use the DC6-5 coil with the DS6-2. Damage to the coil and ignition will result and will NOT be warranted.

Dyna 2000I:
        What type of coils do I need to use?
        Most coils with 2.5-3.5 ohms resistance can be used. For coil application, see the installation guide. If you are unable to determine the coil(s) you need, please call or email us at the number above

Dyna 2000- Harley-Davidson:
        What coil should I use with the Dyna 2000?
        For all dual fire and single fire applications, you must use coils that have a primary resistance of 2.5 to 3.5 ohms.
        Have a question? We recommend you first download the appropriate installation guide and review the contents. Still need assistance, contact us!

Technical Support Staff at 800-928-3962 EXT 1
        Download Product Manuals: http://www.dynaonline.com/support/downloads.aspx

Here is an example of a 'vented' cover:

Technical Forums > Shovel Head
        "...HEAT destroys electronic ignitions more than any other factor. It gets very hot inside that nose cone."

"Running a Dyna 2ki for better than 21,000 miles. Single fire and two ugly green coils hanging out there at the stock location but heck I've grown to like em. It's been great except it's not a kicker ignition. I put a small washer behind each side of the "points" cover to vent it. Not sure it helps put pretty sure it doesn't hurt..."
        Harley Tech Talk is the premier website for technical information and help with Harley Davidson motorcycles
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• rene53catalina
          • Sep 2013

i have dyna s in the bike , the coil is 5 ohm , found out that my wires were copper ones and changed them now for the right ones ,
          just came back from a test ride a lot longer then yesterday and no problems , bike runs like a dream , the weather is a lot colder than yesterday .
          i think i will put a few washers behind the pointscover , see what that does whetn the weather warms up again .
          the guy from dynatek said these units were made to function under hot conditions and most of the time the problem was a wrong coil , could be but i came across the heat issue a couple of times now on the web so i am sketchy about that
          also replaced the autofuse where the coil is hooked up on , because yesterday it was lik spark ....no spark ...spark ... no spark , like the fuse went on and off , thought changing that thing will not hurt

Comment

• rene53catalina
            • Sep 2013

going to remove that big chunk of chrome and alu , that thing is way to big :-)

more slaughter will follow :-)
            Last edited by rene53catalina; 07-18-2021, 3:00 AM.

Comment

• rene53catalina
              • Sep 2013

shit camera shit computer ,

Comment

• rene53catalina
                • Sep 2013

Last edited by rene53catalina; 07-18-2021, 3:04 AM.

Comment

• rene53catalina
                  • Sep 2013

Last edited by rene53catalina; 07-18-2021, 3:09 AM.

Comment

• rene53catalina
                    • Sep 2013

this looked ugly so i had to do something :-)

bit of the same on the swingarm , the little things do make a difference

Last edited by rene53catalina; 07-18-2021, 3:14 AM.

Comment

• HarmBMW
                      • Jan 2016

Looks great without the primary cover, interesting to follow. Got a 73 shovelhead and want to remove the primary cover too.
                      Any other plans for in the future?
                      Greetings from Emmen

Comment

• TimB1640
                        • Nov 2009

can you show some better pictures of what you've done with your primary? I would like to do an open primary on mine. Thanks

Comment

• rene53catalina
                          • Sep 2013

what would you like to see , i cut up the reat part , cut off the front part and used only the piece that holds the bearing and the starter , did the same with the outer case , pluged off the starter axle hole .
                          the pulley covers i made myself in my lathe

Comment

• rene53catalina
                            • Sep 2013

hey harm , yeah , plenty of plans :-) i hate stock stuff :-) , nie man , a shovel in emmen , a friend of mine from klazinaveen also has a shovel build , he does a bikes and coffee meeting every month during the summer , you should go there sometimes :-)

Comment

• rene53catalina
                              • Sep 2013

also finished painting my boring ass black helmet , not so boring anymore :-)

Last edited by rene53catalina; 07-18-2021, 3:16 AM.

Comment

• TimB1640
                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by rene53catalina
                                what would you like to see , i cut up the reat part , cut off the front part and used only the piece that holds the bearing and the starter , did the same with the outer case , pluged off the starter axle hole .
                                the pulley covers i made myself in my lathe
                                I'm with you on ugly stock crap! what I would really like to see is how you set up the starter and solenoid. I would like to run an open primary on my shovel too. Thanks

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;