CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I finally finished the new exhaust, and I rode it to work for the first time since the tearddown. No good pics yet, but I'll go ahead and post some cell snaps fresh from the commute.

That exhaust endcap, obviously meant to echo the oil filter cover, was made from Ř4”x3” long Al slug. A “reverse cone” is machined into the front. Took hours on the lathe. I also had to lathe the spigot that goes into the head. I had the clamping flange waterjet cut by a company I found on the internet. I highly recommend this, it worked out great. Note the wraparound exhaust bracket (I'm told it's called a "superbike strap"). This would have been tough except I had an identical cone, having bought a pair from an XS650 guy on ebay.

The tubing is Ř1.75 sch16 304SS and I used Hooker tube inserts, which are mild steel. I used a handy bend cutting template sold by Cone Engineering. Everything was MIG tacked together and then I took it in for TIGing. It's technically TIG brazed using silicon bronze rod. I chose that because of the dissimilar metals, it's a bit lower temperature so less warpage, and it kinda looks cool. It has a light bronze color that's a nice contrast to the SS when everything is polished up, but unfortunately disappears when it gets hot.

This exhaust stuff was tough for me, BTW. At one point I tacked the whole thing together, went to bed and woke up hating the look of it. Had to cut out a whole section and do it over. Getting the cone tucked in enough was also tough, but at this point it should touch the ground about the same time as the footpeg mounting lug, NOT the footpeg end.

Yes, the purple hue tells me I may need to richen it up a bit more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-11-29 16 20 55.jpg   2011-11-29 16 21 16.jpg   2011-11-29 16 20 38sm.jpg   2011-11-29 16 20 46sm.jpg  
    Last edited by squarefour; 11-30-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: oops forgot to smudge those plates

Get Adobe Flash player

this bike is fucking neat man! good work! im glad you chose the burgundy color. thats what i was gunning for haha. just didnt get my vote in in time

Get Adobe Flash player

i bet that bike is a blast to ride.

Get Adobe Flash player

It really is fun. I don't know if it handles better than the Duc I had, but it's certainly more enjoyable. The new exhaust helps this. While quieter at idle, it blats really sharp when you get on it. It sounds more like a racing Gold Star, and less like an angry air compressor.

Yeah I like the maroon also. Like the pinstripes, it's way low-key, but I'm good with that.

Get Adobe Flash player

Pic just to prove I'm riding it. Newcomb's on the Crest. Too chilly for the usual crowd. i was comfy in my snowmobile suit. No gas station anywhere on this route, so I had to use the liter-soda-pop-bottle-full-of-gas-in-the-backpack trick to get home. This may explain why I never see choppers here.

The Dunlop front tire on the rear works great, but is already to the wear bars, so I may rethink that idea...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-12-10 09 26 47.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Took bike to Psycledelic Tendencies thing Saturday. Shinya was there as I rolled up. He said my bike was cool.

http://shinyakimura.blogspot.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fyea.JPG  
    Last edited by squarefour; 01-18-2012 at 4:44 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

So I got these 18" magnesium flattrack wheels on eBay for pretty cheap. They will require new bearing/disc/sprocket carriers to use on the DR. This will be a ton of work, but I figure it's a nice way to learn to use my new mill. I'm having some parts waterjet cut to save some time. I'm even having the sprocket waterjet cut, so we'll see how that works out.
    The rear has a lot going on, so I jumped on the CAD to check some things out, and it got a little out of hand (yes, I'm bored at work).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mags.JPG   mags-rr-discside.JPG   mags-rr-sproside.JPG  

Get Adobe Flash player

Awesome bike! I love seeing people build stuff that blends different styles.

Get Adobe Flash player

I love seeing people build stuff that blends different styles.
    Thanks, man. I'm slightly worried that going to 18" wheels will take me all the way into the cafe side of things, but I guess the rigid tail will still keep me part-chopper.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by squarefour View Post
    Thanks, man. I'm slightly worried that going to 18" wheels will take me all the way into the cafe side of things, but I guess the rigid tail will still keep me part-chopper.
    Just keep doing what you are doing. It looks great now, and with those mags will look bonkers! DO IT!

Get Adobe Flash player

that awesome man, i really like it!

how does it ride with the shock on the seat?

cant wait to see those wheels on it!

Get Adobe Flash player

It actually rides pretty nice. I've been experimenting with the damping in the seat shock, and went on a ride yesterday with it set up really stiff. The resulting backache proves that the shock is (normally) doing some good!

I'm psyched about the wheels as well, but I'm a total newb with lathe and mill work, so things might take a while.

Get Adobe Flash player

Reading all the chopper blogs has inspired me to post more pictures, even if they are not at all interesting
    Started machining the bearing carriers. The shape and holes were waterjetted.
    Took the bike to work today; checked in with the welder dudes. Apparently it is bike day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-01-26 08.06.55.jpg   2012-01-26 08.07.17.jpg   2012-01-26 09.06.05.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

that looks great! cant wait to see em on the bike...

Get Adobe Flash player

Boring update, crappy pix:

Basically just getting the wheel and disc centered where they need to be. Assemble, eyeball and measure, dissassemble, take off a little metal, reassemble, eyeball, repeat ad nauseum.
    I should probably throw real bearings in there at some point, aluminum on steel may not last forever...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-01-28 15.56.05.jpg   2012-01-28 15.56.32.jpg   2012-01-28 17.42.07.jpg   2012-01-29 08.37.55.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by squarefour View Post
    Boring update, crappy pix:

Basically just getting the wheel and disc centered where they need to be. Assemble, eyeball and measure, dissassemble, take off a little metal, reassemble, eyeball, repeat ad nauseum.
    I should probably throw real bearings in there at some point, aluminum on steel may not last forever...
    I think it is safe to say the new wheels will look bonkers on this bike. Any chance of a profile shot?

Get Adobe Flash player

Any chance of a profile shot?
    There wasn't enough room in the garage to get a side shot, sorry It's all dissassembled now to machine in the bearing pockets, so no more pics for a while.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just about done with the front bearing carriers. Here I'm masking (in the comfort of the living room) to paint the slots black.

Machining the bearing pockets wasn't too bad. I just kept the parts heated with a torch to "spit sizzle" temp, while chucked in the lathe, and took off a thou at a time until the bearing slipped in. When the part cooled, the bearing stayed in and didn't feel grinchy or anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-02-21 19.03.35.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Front wheel is done! A better-looking tire is on the way. I may run it with the mismatched wheels for a while, since I like that rear 17" K112 that I paid a whole $60 for. It's kind of period-correct anyway: From what I seem to remember, most flattrackers in the 80s ran mags front-only.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2-26-12-1.jpg   2-26-12-2.jpg   2-26-12-3.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Here I am converting a sprocket from 530 to 525, by endmilling down the rim to .275" thk. This is for the mag rear wheel. I could get the tooth count, bore size and BCD I wanted, but only in 530. It seemed easier to do this on the mill/rotary table than the lathe due to holding issues. i later put in a small chamfer on the teeth tips by tilting the mill head.
    I want to get a sprocket squared away before I design the bearing carrier around it.
    As usual, sorry for crappy (and getting worse) pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sprocket-mod.jpg  

Share This