CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Hybrid View

Default 2000 Sportster Treatment

I've been meaning to start this thread for months now so I'll begin with back tracking to catch up to where I'm at right now.

Thanksgiving 09 I picked up this 02 1200 Sporty with 1500 miles on the clock. $3500.
    It sat in the garage until the end of march when I finally had some time to get into it.
    Style wise I'm not completely sure where it's headed all I really want out of it is a fun ride that looks decent. Hell I might even put some turn signals on it?

Last edited by billdozer; 11-17-2010 at 10:54 AM.

The first thing I did was shave and polish the legs & clamps. I'm keeping the front brakes.

Then I went to work cutting down the ridiculously large brake pedal, pulley & cam covers.
    I decided I liked the size of the passenger pegs instead of the ham fisted awkward size and shape of the stockers, so they'll be the riders pegs. Proportions?
    Also a little mock up feel with bars & tank, none of which is set in stone.

I couldn't handle the logos, casting lines and black crinkle paint on the calipers so I cleaned them up a bit.

Since I don't live in "Frisco" Whatever tank I end up with I'd like it to sit a little low so I cut down the motor mount. Also in attempt to clean things up a bit I relocated the coil and choke.

Next week fresh wheels/tires and get the fender worked out.

billdozer

Take notes fellas, this will be one nice "modder".

I just picked up exactly the same bike for my daughter last week, so I'll be watching this thread closely for inspiration.

Very nice job cleaning up everything. Fork legs and trees look killer, as do the calipers.
    What did you use to strip the wrinkle finish on the calipers? Stripper or did you painstakingly grind em down and polish them? They look especially good!

Good start man.

lookin good man

Ok a quick update.
    With all the events lately, Bench*Mark duties & I got sick as hell, I really haven't had much time to get any real work done on this thing but I did get the wheels squared away with powder coated rims, stainless spokes & nipples and some new skins. The fender is cut somewhat close to what it will be. I did some horse trading with 70Moto Chris and came out of it with the SlimFab modded sporty tank I'll be using. Hide moto Japan got me set up with some nice hand controls (the clutchy is magura & the front master cyclinder is grimeca, both milled out for 1"bars)
    Next we'll get the rear wheel spaced, tank & fender mounted, then the seat pan cut, shaped & mounted.
    I'm not at all sold on that headlight but it's been kicking around the shop and may get used just to get out of here.

Check PM thanks

I'm waiting on some parts before I get the rear fender mounted. I have a couple ideas and I'll take & post some detailed photos of what it all ends up like.
    In the mean time I made up the brake line guide and plate mount out of Stainless. Pat cut out the plate while I made a couple of weld on brackets the whole thing bolts to the primary case. The brake line guide is from the left over bits I cut off the SS Front Street bars. I ovalized the bar chunk in the vice, carved and drilled the bracket out of stainless plate then welded it all together and cleaned it up.
    The Air cleaner bracket is a tip from Rouser Rob, it's from a stock 99 Buell Cyclone available at your HD dealer $15-$20.

Is the License plate mount going to be available through Bench*Mark soon? If not... Can you make me one??? Thanks!

I started messing around with pipes yesterday.
    I bought a couple of these unfinished megaphones at the El Camino swap meet two years ago for $8.00. I was thinking that they might make an easy ,fun pipe/pipes. I was mistaken, it took most of the afternoon and evening welding the seam and making it round again. I'm not even sure if I'm going to use it?
    I guess I'm kind of feeling it? We'll see how it plays out? Maybe squish it oval?

Behind Bars: No plans on a plate mount. Did you need one for an EVO sporty? Email or PM me.

[IMG]pipe_1[/IMG]

I spent a good portion of today ovalizing the last foot or so of the megaphone & making the weld seam between the straight pipe and megaphone look presentable. I used two slip joints from a Biltwell pipe kit, cut them down and welded them together to make the ring/doughnut looking bit. Then I slipped the megaphone in one side and the straight pipe in the other, welded it up and got out the files.
    Since everything is on the short side I'm going to use a baffle out of one one of my old Pro Circuit race pipes and come up with some sort of end cap. I suppose then I'll start on the rear cylinder pipe. After that a much needed heat shield.

I'm going to try and make it all on piece but I'm pretty sure that'll make removal impossible but we'll see.

[IMG]sportypipe_1[/IMG]

[IMG]sportypipe_3[/IMG]

[IMG]sportypipe_2[/IMG]

Share This