CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Need help with bike not running.

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I have a 1989 Kawasaki 454. I got it with plans of turning it into a bobber as I've done with other bikes. I took the engine out and cleaned/painted the engine and frame. Put everything back together and it wouldn't start. The starter button wouldn't work, but it would turn over from jumping it at the solenoid. It had spark, but still wouldn't start, even with a freshly rebuilt carb and starter fluid in the air box. I even put a little gas in the cylinder and got a little back fire. I started checking everything, even the fuses for the lights, etc. I found a blown fuse for one of the accessories and replaced it, then all of a sudden the start button worked and it started up. Thinking everything was fine, I went ahead and started grouping all the wires together around the battery to fit into my battery box, and one wire touched another and now I'm back to the same problem. Start button doesn't work, can jump from solenoid and have spark, but no start.

Things I've done:
    Checked all fuses - OK
    Checked battery - OK
    Checked primary and secondary coil resistances - One coil was out of spec - Replaced.
    Checked pick-up coil - OK
    Checked starter relay(not starter solenoid)- OK
    Neutral safety switch light is lit, so I assume that it is ok and working.

Any suggestions would be awesome!
    Last edited by Superman27e; 04-17-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've been boned by a shit ground wire before. Even if you think you got a good ground, double check.

Quote Originally Posted by Oranje View Post
    I've been boned by a shit ground wire before. Even if you think you got a good ground, double check.
    I'll check that now. Not sure how much you know about this specific bike, but I'm assuming the main ground is the ground from the battery to the starter, right?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Superman27e View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I have a 1989 Kawasaki 454. I got it with plans of turning it into a bobber as I've done with other bikes. I took the engine out and cleaned/painted the engine and frame. Put everything back together and it wouldn't start. The starter button wouldn't work, but it would turn over from jumping it at the solenoid. It had spark, but still wouldn't start, even with a freshly rebuilt carb and starter fluid in the air box. I even put a little gas in the cylinder and got a little back fire. I started checking everything, even the fuses for the lights, etc. I found a blown fuse for one of the accessories and replaced it, then all of a sudden the start button worked and it started up. Thinking everything was fine, I went ahead and started grouping all the wires together around the battery to fit into my battery box, and one wire touched another and now I'm back to the same problem. Start button doesn't work, can jump from solenoid and have spark, but no start.

Things I've done:
    Checked all fuses - OK
    Checked battery - OK
    Checked primary and secondary coil resistances - One coil was out of spec - Replaced.
    Checked pick-up coil - OK
    Checked starter relay(not starter solenoid)- OK
    Neutral safety switch light is lit, so I assume that it is ok and working.

Any suggestions would be awesome!
    So your saying that you were grouping the wires together with the battery hooked up? What wires did you touch together?? It sounds like a shorted fuse/breaker to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    So your saying that you were grouping the wires together with the battery hooked up? What wires did you touch together?? It sounds like a shorted fuse/breaker to me...
    Correct. I believe it was the wire that has the 30A in-line fuse on it. I can only assume it touched one of the battery posts since the other wires didn't have any exposed areas.

Ok, I have an old wiring harness that came off the bike before. I ordered a new one because the ignition wires were messed up. Anyways, I hooked up the old one and it started...minus some carb tweaking that I have to do. I'll update you guys when the new harness gets here.

It was a combination of dirty connectors and a bad start button. She starts and rides now. I still have a lot of stuff that I want to do, but here it is now.

Any recommendation for a sportster style tank that will fit the back bone? I've attached a picture below of the same bike that's been bobbed with the tank I want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bobber2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	83774

Name:	Bobber-Neil.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	83775

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Superman27e View Post
    ...here it is now.
    Any recommendation for a sportster style tank that will fit the back bone? I've attached a picture below of the same bike that's been bobbed with the tank I want.

Name:	bobber2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	83774

Name:	Bobber-Neil.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	83775
    I remember you asked this not long ago; Thread: Need help with sportster style tank on Kawasaki 454.
    "...the back bone where my tank sits is about 3" in width and the typical bobber tanks that I've found are for Harleys that are 2 1/4".
    Guess you didn't find a solution yet.
    Do you have a Sportster tank? Just get the tunnel cut out, get a wider one made and get it welded in - make sure you know where the fuel tap will need to be located to clear engine or carbs and the type of mounts that will work.

Here is an instructional thread (6 parts plus a video) for modifying a Sporty tank, which includes cutting out the existing tunnel, relocating the filler cap and mounts:
    Major Tank Renovations...
    http://www.choppersaustralia.com/for...forum.php?f=58

Renovations to this tank are fairly major and will be covered by a lot of photos over a number of threads so you can easily open them.

This is a good oportunity to show, in steps, what you can do with a tank... it's not all that difficult... but does need a lot of pre planning... Welding can be done with bronze, fusion, mig or tig...

Name:	CAFTexTank-01.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	83780

Name:	CAFTexTank-06.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	83779

Maybe you want to further modify the stance of your ride by extending the swingarm - seems pretty simple just by swapping one from a '90 - '95 Vulcan, along with the belt:

Thread: looking to extend the swingarm on my 454ltd

"You can use the swing arm and belt from a 90 -95 Vulcan 500 (which is belt drive)......extends the wheelbase about 3 to 3 1/2 inches."

http://ltd454.proboards.com/thread/4...ing-arm-extend

and lots more here to help you bob it out : Mods and Helpfull Info
    http://ltd454.proboards.com/board/7/mods-helpfull-info

Share This