CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Banana Wassel Tank Pics?

Anybody running a Banana Wassell tank? It would go on my rigid shovel. Im looking at a couple options on EBay but everyone wants $300+ . Anyhow, anybody got pics of theirs on their chop?

Get Adobe Flash player

Genghis from Iron Horses 71' .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6879.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	81865

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	tins.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	314.5 KB 
ID:	81866
    Paint on my 60's Wassell just got finished last week.
    Not a "banana" but is an original that I scored from a neighbor whose husband raced Triumphs at Lions drag strip back in the day.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's one on a "before" pic of my '55 Triumph T110. This is the way I got it (with a title, for $200) (in 1990)

Name:	55T110a.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	81877

tzienlee

Quote Originally Posted by 47str8leg View Post
    Genghis from Iron Horses 71' .

Name:	IMG_6879.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	81865
    That's just a standard Super Glide Tank,..... Not a wassel.......................

Get Adobe Flash player

Well in the same vein or style then.
    Here's an offset cap Hap Jones Wassel on my knuckle. About 2.2 gallon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1665.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	81891

Name:	IMG_6628.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	81892

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	308.2 KB 
ID:	81893

Get Adobe Flash player

2 peanuts and a superglide tank. Does no one know what the banana tank looks like? Here's one, not mine.

Name:	!!!!delinquent.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	81896

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, although similar the superglide doesn't look as nice as a Banana Wassel in my opinion.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MOTher View Post
    Here's one on a "before" pic of my '55 Triumph T110. This is the way I got it (with a title, for $200) (in 1990)

Name:	55T110a.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	81877
    Still got that T110? Any 'after' pics?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    Still got that T110? Any 'after' pics?
    For a long time I would buy project bikes and parts, stash them away, and think of it as my retirement fund. That way I'd have something to do and some extra income from working on and/or selling this stuff. As luck would have it, most of increased in value over the years. I'm retired now, I still have the T110, it's apart and on a couple shelves, waiting it's turn.

Get Adobe Flash player

There is some confusion over what IS a Wassel tank?? Assuming I have electrical power tonight I will post up some original Wassell catalog scans or pix, I have one of their original shop/dealer catalogs from the early 1960s. A lot of different vendors carried these tanks and some variations. I have some original Nicholson Brothers, AMEN, DENVERS, AEE, JAMMER, and other period catalogs, But even BSA -US Importer and TRICOR the US distributors put out accy catalogs. Not all these were the same tank,,
    For example Wassell offered them in fiberglass and metal. So did AMEN, I do have some old chopper magazines from late 60s and early 1970s,, One of the early Triumph bobbers that made a LOT of waves was "Grapevine" a early 50s Triumph stripped down and polished up and had a little tank like the Wassell.
    Ill post up my buddy Jims new build as well, already winning awards up in Alaska where he is at.
    52 Triumph "Bad Brass" (Or as I like to say,, "Put your ass on some class!"

Name:	TriumphBadBrass20170411_140630bb.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	318.1 KB 
ID:	81973

Get Adobe Flash player

Okay, Bio-tches! Its snowing again, I have power and internet (Barely) and I cant find my charger for my camera so you will have to wait for more pix, but here is some to start..
    This is out of my original dealer catalog from Wassell circa early 1960s (I think 63-64) and its over 500 pages of leg wettin' accy and custom service parts from one of the UKs original suppliers. (long before Taiwan Ted, J&P cycles and Drag specialities, etc)

This is pages 442-443 and more tanks next page but they are race and cafe style tanks.
    Top left is #F.G.T.2 and is a "Trials and scrambler fiberglass fuel tank (2.5 gal) Top right is "universal steel petrol tank" and approx 2 gallons # U.S.G.1 Middle right is U.S.G.2 "Slimline universal steel petrol tank" Approx 2 and 1/2 gallons

Ill post up more of the AMEN and other catalogs assuming comms stay up sooner or later. ** Edit. Found my charger and back in operation,

So, the other pix is one of the AMEN tanks, (They had several types and styles including this ribbed (For her pleasure) with flush cap as well as a fiberglass one in similar style, They also had a 2 gallon steel tank that was similar to the Wassell, and some prism, coffin and sporty-peanut tanks.

AEE was huge in the early 1970s and I have their first 3 catalogs,, same deal,, all kinds of tanks.

Other pix are some of the other typical period catalogs. (TRICOR Was the US East Coast distributor for Triumph & JOMO was Johnson Motors West coast -yoh!) Believe it or not,, JC Whitney at one time carried similar style "Wassell" tanks. DOMI Racer/Accy Mart in Ohio was at one time the LARGEST distributor for English and European motorcycles and I got all their old catalogs and price sheets.

Interesting was the prices in the AMEN catalog was $57 for the ribbed tank and $21 for the universal steel tank $55 for the coffins. Cant find a date on that one but its got a John F Kennedy postage stamp and $0.13 cents so maybe you can date it by that?? It was mailed to "Chop Shop" 3rd class mail

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	81997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	81998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-003F.JPG 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	81999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-004F.JPG 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	82000

Share This