CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default H-D rear dual flange hub question

i bought a rear wheel this weekend at a swap meet for what i thought was a good deal.
    i thought it was a late 70s shovel or sporty.
    i spent about 2 hours reading my manuals & catalogs and another 2 hours looking around the internet before i decided to ask here.

here's what i got.
    16" spoked wheel complete assy w/ sprocket & rotor.
    10" disk. 51t sprocket
    steel dual flange hub w/the C clip retainers to hold the bearings/seals('79-'83)
    it also had the axle adjusters for a square swingarm. of course those are for both sporty & shovel.
    i havent miced it yet but i did check it w/ a straight edge. the rim is centered on the hub(no offset)
    and the sprocket & rotor flanges are the same distance.
    i hope this is enough description.

my question is are these wheels interchangeable between a sportster and a shovel of the same era?
    more directly are the hubs the same?
    as in should one side more offset on one side(the sprocket side).

Get Adobe Flash player

I can't answer your questions directly, but I can say that although the Big Twin and XL rear disk brake hubs will not interchange directly, they'll interchange with the correct combination of spacers, and/or flat or dished sprockets. There are 2 or 3 different types of XL Ironhead/Evo rear hubs and the flange offset depends on whether they were used with a dished or flat sprocket. Hopefully, someone will have a definitive answer.

Bob

rokytnji

Yeah. What Bob said. I mix and match Mag rear wheels like that . But my stuff is oldy and not fuel injected or computerized. They sell dished or flat sprockets depending on what application you wanna use it on. Same for disc sizes. Need to know if you bought 1 inch or 3/4 inch axle holes and hubs accept timken instead of sealed bearings though.

Get Adobe Flash player

i havent yanked it apart yet, but the axle is 3/4

rokytnji

Quote Originally Posted by beat View Post
    Sealed bearings. Evo wheel. Timken . Irohead wheel. Just a general description . Refer to your manual on what fits yours.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by beat View Post
    I'm assuming it's a steel hub? They're all 3/4" Timken style tapered roller bearings. Aluminum hubs are all sealed ball bearing and can be 3/4", 1" and 25mm bore sizes.

Bob

Get Adobe Flash player

Old thread, but here's some info that isn't in it. The 1979-1981 Sportster has more offset than the standard double flange hub to the brake side. This is because the caliper bracket uses the swingarm for an anchor, I guess. Here's a pic of the hub for a laced wheel. The 18" 9 spoke cast wheels used on '78 XLCR and some early '79 Sporties has the same offset. I'm not sure on the 16" cast wheel, whether the offset is cast into the wheel or a spacer is used.

One more tidbit. If you come upon a double flanged hub that has 5/16" holes in the flanges and was probably chromed at one time, that's a front from an FXWG. The rears and FLH fronts have 7/16 holes in both flanges, even though the rotor bolts are 5/16" and 3/8".

Share This