CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default KZ440 idling high

Working on an 83 440LTD, its got UNI pod filters, stock jets. After its warmed up, idling just wants to shoot up to 4rpms and stay there. Air/Fuel mix screws all the way down doesn't seem to affect it. Idle adjust screw is maybe a half turn in. I'm new with this stuff, any pointers? Thanks.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

It sounds like a real bad intake leak........Also have you taken the carbs apart and cleaned them???

Yea I took carbs apart and cleaned real well. As far as an intake leak, i've sprayed carb cleaner around the boots and the rpms don't jump up or anything. Is there a better way to check?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Jpope85 View Post
    Yea I took carbs apart and cleaned real well. As far as an intake leak, i've sprayed carb cleaner around the boots and the rpms don't jump up or anything. Is there a better way to check?

When it is running at 4000 rpm I doubt it will go any higher.... Take the carbs back off and check for cracks or hard rubbers oh yea be sure and check your clamps...

Get Adobe Flash player

Another question....... What was it doing before you took the carbs off???? You know why did you take them off in the first place...

It was stock before, this is the first time firing it up since switching it to pods.

Get Adobe Flash player

It was stock before, this is the first time firing it up since switching it to pods.
    That isn't what I was asking...... Was it running ok before you did any changes???? Why did you rebuild the carbs??? More info needed..........

Yes it was running well before i did anything. I cleaned out the carbs cause its an old bike, and they were pretty gunked up so good thing.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes it was running well before i did anything. I cleaned out the carbs cause its an old bike, and they were pretty gunked up so good thing.

Ok if it was running fine before you did anything, you put something together wrong..Or... Did you have the pods on there before or did you have the stock air box??????
    If you had the stock air box before your bike is running lean..............

Sounds like the Unis are letting in a good bit of air. What some have done is cut up a soda can to fit inside the Uni to act as sort of a velocity stack. You'll have to cut the top and end off, slit it down the side and then trim the top down so about 3/4 of the filter is covered along the sides. It'll still pull air from the end of the filter.

Yea it was running fine before. Its put together correctly, and it was the stock air box before.

Quote Originally Posted by vwrabbit View Post
    Sounds like the Unis are letting in a good bit of air. What some have done is cut up a soda can to fit inside the Uni to act as sort of a velocity stack. You'll have to cut the top and end off, slit it down the side and then trim the top down so about 3/4 of the filter is covered along the sides. It'll still pull air from the end of the filter.
    I'll give this a try.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yea it was running fine before. Its put together correctly, and it was the stock air box before.

Thank you, It's the pods that's your problem, it's getting to much air and not enough fuel....... Try the can trick it should help......

Get Adobe Flash player

Just put the air box back on or buy a set of mikuni 32 smoothbores then it will run fine with pods. You're just defeating the purpose of pods if you choke them down with cans or tape

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhorse View Post
    Just put the air box back on or buy a set of mikuni 32 smoothbores then it will run fine with pods. You're just defeating the purpose of pods if you choke them down with cans or tape
    i half agree its a total waste to choke it down but why the fuck has no one said bigger PILOT JET or hell ream that bitch out a bit You must rejet your carb after every major change to intake or exhausts and that can trick is the dumbest way to avoid that ive ever heard of unless you like a guttless topend
    i truly despise mikuni carbs the first thing i do to every yamaha 2 stroke i buy is ditch em

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bcredneck View Post
    i half agree its a total waste to choke it down but why the fuck has no one said bigger PILOT JET
    I said it sounded like it was running lean, I believe that's the same thing as needing a bigger jet....

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    If you had the stock air box before your bike is running lean..............

Get Adobe Flash player

I said it sounded like it was running lean, I believe that's the same thing as needing a bigger jet....
    Ya but the guy said hes new to bikes and likely doesnt know that yet

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bcredneck View Post
    Ya but the guy said hes new to bikes and likely doesnt know that yet
    LOL yea you might be right.. But it's time he did some reading instead of changing parts first...

Get Adobe Flash player

LOL yea you might be right.. But it's time he did some reading instead of changing parts first...
    I know people who call themselves mechanics that send out carbs to be rebuilt. Drives me mental I charge 20 a pop 40 if shits been changed and i have to fuck with jetting. half the time i dont even need new parts

I dont understand why people who will rebuild a bike are worried about screwing around with em.

Its dead simple
    think of your rpm/throttle range as 3 separate stages
    1 Idle this is controlled by the pilot jet (little off center jet in floatbowl) and set screw on outside of carb (the little one not the one with spring) You set this first
    2 Your mid range this is set by a combination of main jet size and needle height so it MUST be set last
    3 Topend set with the main jet size but the pilot is still blowing fuel so you need idle set before you swap out jets

AND ABOVE ALL you can not tune a fucking engine on a stand you have to ride the damb thing and see how it reacts under load Your fat ass may require more fuel to move than others
    Last edited by bcredneck; 11-03-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^^^^^^^^ Yes sir it's that easy....^^^^^^ And I'm with you I don't understand why many people are afraid of working on carbs... It's really not that hard...

Share This