+4 tubes on a stock sporty with hard struts... Just do it?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomiles
    • Jun 2017

+4 tubes on a stock sporty with hard struts... Just do it?

Hey guys, appreciate all the help i get here with projects. Wanting to add +4 39mm tubes onto a stock sporty with biltwell hard struts for rear suspension. Will this require any special cups or mess with the trail in a bad way? Just looking to give it that popped up look without getting a gangster lean on the kickstand that i see with +6 tubes with no mods. Appreciate the advice.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by tomiles
    Will this require any special cups or mess with the trail in a bad way? Just looking to give it that popped up look without getting a gangster lean on the kickstand that i see with +6 tubes with no mods.

No special cups needed but it will change the trail..... And you will know that you changed something when you ride it..... But you will lean quick...........

Comment

• SOB
      • Aug 2017

Ran +6 with homemade 9 3/4 inch struts with no issues, like Tattooo mention it doesn't take long to learn the new handling.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
        • Apr 2012

really bad idea. build it with a real rigid frame or hard tail section, and run proper rake and trail for the front end that you want
        see:

chopperhandbook.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, chopperhandbook.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Never could understand why people put struts on a swing arm bike, nor have I ever seen or rode a bike with stock rake with
        extended forks that rode worth a damn. I know some people think thats a cool style, but in my experience experienced
        chopper jockeys just laugh and shake their heads.
        You asked for opinions, so there you go.

Remember that any advice you get on a free internet forum is generall worth half of what you paid for it.

Comment

• SamHain
          • Apr 2024

Chopper handbook suggests what 2-9" trail? Can get a bit of extension within those specs, and trail of a telescopic front end changes rather dramatically through stroke.

There's a sweet spot, a bad spot, and quite a bit of range in between. Won't know Til you slap it together and measure and/or ride. Cups and or trees can do a bit to correct the trail after you have a reference.

That said I about the only thing I like less than struts is modern sporty frames, or big twin....

So just do it. If It don't work, fix it some more.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2017, 1:24 AM.

Comment

• Apr 2012

Sportsters were never a OUTSTANDING handling bike but they can be improved dramatically. This poster is making a bad handling bike even worse to get a look that screams really BAD handling. Kind of like a DONK Car of motorcycles. I suppose there is many people that think DONK cars are cool, (Same as ridiculously lifted trucks that never go off road)
            But some say Choppers in general are stupid and this is a chopper forum. So, run whatever makes you happy.

But I suspect the poster is looking for validation for the direction he intends to pursue anyway so, In the end I dont think it matters.
            But many years back I had a friend who used to do a lot of flattrack/TT racing and dabbled in MX and road racing. He decided to buy a modern bike and (Push button as he called it) and bought an evo sporty around 1995-96. He complained to me about how shitty it handled. I had a subscription at the time for about 2-3 years to Hotrod Harleys or HOTBIKE or something along those lines. After a while I got tired of it and dropped the subscription. But It DID have a decent article on improving Sporty handling and a few more on some of the big twins.
            I have long since lost the article, but Jim said it made a huge improvement in his bike and he enjoyed riding it after that. Most people actually RAISE the back end with taller shocks on a sporty, as well as Progressive springs and improved dampers and fine tune with different weight oils, or add Buell forks.
            Thats the plan with my 1998 Sporty is being built as a street tracker. Plus,, I like Orange and black so going for the XR750 style look.
            This site has some good stuff.. (So does STORZ)
            See: http://phillittleracing.com/motorcyc...cker#rt-bottom

But I got tube frame buells and 2 XB Buells so those go to pretty extreme opposites of what is being discussed in this guys post.
            (No struts -EVER on my scoots!)

Comment

• Blackbetty
              • Apr 2011

Dude, put on the struts and the +4s for the norcal look and RIP IT

Comment

• ChopperDani
                • Apr 2016

ummmm.............yea

i have a 95 sporty 6 over springer/ no rake- and hard bars/strut bars. 10''
                ** Also I use my stock length kickstand. with the rear end lowered...the bike leans perfect. just like stock. no Gangsta lean

it might of changed in handling...... i didnt notice except for trying to turn around lol

the hard bars are termpary....going with a weld on

Always make your bike look cool before function- form>function

some guys have the perfect setup and cant ride their bikes worth a fuck.

DO IT- dont like it? its not permanent- just bolt back on your stock shit.

SIMPLE
                Last edited by ChopperDani; 08-24-2017, 1:58 PM. Reason: spelling-ah her der

Comment

• ChopperDani
                  • Apr 2016

honestly---

If you own a Harley, you need to get outta here with Handling lmfao
                  Also this is Chop Cult- youre on this site for chopped up bikes.....Not some high performance and handling machine...Go to some Crotch Rocket site lol

lmao- Harley and Handling- those words will never go together

Comment

• Blackbetty
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ChopperDani
                    honestly---

Also this is Chop Cult- youre on this site for chopped up bikes.....Not some high performance and handling machine...Go to some Crotch Rocket site lol

testify

Comment

• ICareyNoCash
                      • Jul 2017

I'm going to do a weld on hard tail this winter and i"m thinking about going +8 tubes on the stock rake. Go big or go home right??

Comment

• Apr 2012

Im noting the youngsters just dont know the history... Ha!, Hey, you guys wanna run that silly stuff go right ahead. I never said not too.
                        "Horses for courses" & whatever floats your boat.
                        But when you guys post for advice or feedback dont be surprised it might not align with your misconceptions and misinformation.

(Whatever advice your receive on a free internet forum is probably worth about half what you paid $$$$)

But got a little bit of tech history for you...........What do you think the term "CHOP" or "Chopper" came from?? Some might debate the origins but its generally agreed by most that "Choppin" referred to chopping off any part that didnt make you go FASTER or HANDLE better. Thats what its all about. (And why Sportster kick ass over big twins) Now all that silly poser stuff about making your bike look allegedly cooler but handle or perform worse,, thats fine, again, ride what you want. Free country and all that.

But, While I own a cross section of bikes (Choppers are just one part) I AM pretty stoked about the Hooligan racing. Best damn thing to happen in a long time. I am especially proud of our local guy Thor Drake who has a big hand in it. Hot rod Sportys running against Indian Scouts! Whats NOT to love about that? Come and check out DIRTQUAKE USA sometime here in the Pacific NW, these guys know how to put on a race-show-party and ,,,,,,,,,for you guys especially they even run a chopper class on the track. (its a hoot)

See: http://www.cycleworld.com/super-hool...-series#page-3

plus, apparently you guys have never heard of Sideways Skip Van Leeween or Cal Rayborn?? I have met many of these guys at some events and was a great honor to meet and hang out with them.

*I weep for the youth of today,,, forgive them for they know not what they do" or, more simply put yer ass on some class

Click image for larger version

Name:	HDCalraybornCRXR750TT2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1297682Click image for larger version

Name:	sportster-cafe-racer.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1297683Click image for larger version

Name:	Hooliganimages.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1297684Click image for larger version

Name:	HOOLIGAN-STURGIS-BUFFALO-CHIP-MOTO-STAMPEDE-INDIAN-SCOUT-SIXTY.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	1297685

Comment

• Apr 2012

Whenever I hear about extended front ends on stock rake frames as well as struts this is the image i keep picturing....

Name:	DQ USA 2016 Chopper dirt track_YVE1317.jpg
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	1297686

But It doesnt mean you guys cant enjoy your rides no matter what you like to do to them. I am a big supporter of ride whatever makes you happy. Not everything I like is appreciated so,, just dont kill yourself doing something dumb.

But again, people can have a blast riding whatever,, Dirtquake USA 2017 is proof of that.

Name:	Dirt-Quake-USA-2015-parade-.jpg
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	1297687Click image for larger version

Name:	dQuake-main.jpg
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1297688Click image for larger version

Name:	DQ USA 2016 Chopper dirt track_YVE0889.jpg
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	1297689

Comment

• SamHain
                            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by ChopperDani
                            honestly---

Having trail in the safe range is still important. Havin a front end that wants to flop even at high speeds isn't good for anyone around.

Comment

• Blackbetty
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ICareyNoCash
                              I'm going to do a weld on hard tail this winter and i"m thinking about going +8 tubes on the stock rake. Go big or go home right??
                              I ran a 12 over on my rigid shovel with stock rake and a 21" front wheel for a couple years with 4" of trail, it rode awesome. My only gripe was I didn't like the sheer weight of the springer so I sold out and swapped in a 39mm set up. I'll use it again in the future though.

Have fun

Last edited by Blackbetty; 08-29-2017, 1:48 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;