How to route cables? How to measure them correctly?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbswear
    • Jul 2013

How to route cables? How to measure them correctly?

I need help routing and measuring for new throttle, clutch, and speedo cables. My build is a heavily raked (54*) chopper. Speedo is off the 4-speed. Clutch is hand, not foot. I'm nervous because I don't want to measure, order, and then find out I fucked up. I've never done this before.

I'm running 12" apes with 6" risers. My carb sticks off the right side of the engine on a 90* elbow manifold (gives my short fucking legs clearance so I can reach the pegs without hitting the carb).

The clutch cable doesn't worry me *too* much. I think I have it figured out, and it isn't as much of a challenge--there's no spinning cable inside and I can route it straight through. I think.

The speedo cable worries me because I don't want to kink it. How much curve do I need in it (when changing directions, and where)?

Because the carb is not tucked in near the frame, I don't think hugging the frame will work cleanly. I'm wondering about hugging the apes with them (dual cable setup) and then letting it hang in a gentle loop from the bottom of the bars to the carb.

Any thoughts, gents?

And then, once I route them, how do I measure them? End to end? Connection (at throttle/clutch post) to connection (carb/clutch arm)?

Bike is in the video link.

This weekend was the first in 36 years that the engine ran well. It's idling low here, but I've since hooked up the tach and set the idle to about 1200rpm.S...
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Use a piece of wire so it will stay the shape you need that's routed the way you described above..........

Comment

• jbswear
      • Jul 2013

Right, I got that. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear on my needs. I know how to get the length but I'm worried about taking the right path.

Does that make sense?

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jbswear
        Right, I got that. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear on my needs. I know how to get the length but I'm worried about taking the right path.

Does that make sense?
        Yes sir that makes sense.... Nice looking bike by the way.... Your regulator might get a little hot between the belt but I'd just wait and see... If it goes out find another place for it....

Back to the routing problem.... Man you have all kinds of room... Just run it where it isn't hanging out in your way don't make sharp turns and you will be just fine..... Good luck....

Comment

• jbswear
          • Jul 2013

Cool.

I'll give it a go.

Yeah, if the reg gets too hot there I'll move it. I've seen other builders put it there and ride their projects a lot more than I ever see myself riding this one with no issues. When the bike's running, I put my hand in that area (carefully!) and could feel a lot of wind moving due to the rotating belt.

Comment

• beano
            • Dec 2011

Nice chop 'jb', where did you get that 'plastic tank/bottle' you're using to fill the carb ? Been looking for one like that for ages. Thanks...b.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by beano
              Nice chop 'jb', where did you get that 'plastic tank/bottle' you're using to fill the carb ? Been looking for one like that for ages. Thanks...b.
              I got the one I have like it off of ebay....

Comment

• jbswear
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by beano
                As Tattooo said, I bought mine from a seller on eBay.

Get the best deals for auxiliary gas tank at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

• Motocrash
                  • Sep 2010

I use RG6 cable to get my lengths. It's about the same thickness/flexibility as control cables so I get a good idea of routing and length before I make one. Route the RG6, zip-tie it in place, turn your bars etc. If it don't work, re route it until you're happy.

Comment

• nuklhd
                    • Sep 2013

theres a measuring guide on the site. not sure if it helps.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;