CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

once the glitter is gone all that's left are the original chopper riders or a few new guy's that want to learn
    so there is not allot to say. still building them.time for break in runs on the latest one.
    and i also just read and post during down time at work.at home i am too busy or sleeping
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0311171540a_resized.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Bbqbiker View Post
    I saw some fuzzy pics somewhere..I kinda forget.
    LOL I don't have fuzzy pics your mind is fuzzy..........

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by beat View Post
    ugh, i wish.
    i thought that 20 years ago before the new explosion of choppers w/ the new crop of shows on discovery channel..the jesse james shows were ok. and the biker build off shows were decent, but the tutles were intolerable. but that's what sold i guess.
    than about 10 years ago w/ the housing bubble and the great ressesion nobody had any money and guys w/ big/bad/dog/balloon tire choppers couldnt sell their shit for half what they paid. and i dont blame 'em, but no one wants that gay shit.

are choppers dead? doughtful. hopefully its just taking a nap for now.
    i'm not a economist but i do understand supply & demand.
    just like orig parts from the pre 70s there is only a limited supply, but to restorers there is a big demand. there are always restorers.
    as to orig aftermarket chopper parts? yes there is still a limited supply, but the demand(group of potential buyers) may wax or wane.
    i wish choppers were dead, so the american pickers factor wasnt an issue and prices would go back to about 2004.
    oh, well. that aint happenin'

fuck it. i've drank to much tonight, so i'll bitch about choppers more.
    i love and will only ride choppers, but......
    i biuld and ride what i like 'cause thats what i do, but i hate the attention from dorks or strangers. a thumbs up is cool, but wanting to talk to me about my bike is usually gay.
    i forgot who said it(i think it was snow) "dont bro me if you know me"
    i'm not a dick. i just wanna do my own thing and be left alone
    Oh I know they aren't dead and hell I still love them, but it seems some of the guys just doing it for the look at me factor have moved on to wheelies and Dynas. As for me there is something to be found in being the only dude at the bar, or bike night, riding a rocker clutch on a leaky ass generator motor'd rigid. something about it is just hard to describe, maybe its the thinking of how many times its made this trip or just the challenge of running old machinery but it isnt leaving my blood anytime soon. I wish those 2004 prices were back as well!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by usmc50lx View Post
    I wish those 2004 prices were back as well!
    People keep forgetting the recession is over..... But there is another one on the horizon so keep your money put up....

Get Adobe Flash player

Old bikes are largely an old man's hobby. How many people in this thread are under fifty? I ain't saying I'm old, but the last time I rubbed one out I shot dust. Choppers are a subset of the old motorcycle hobby and while the hobby isn't dying it depends greatly on old folks who don't care about handling or performance in anything but a straight line. That limits the audience.

The nice thing about choppers and vintage machines generally is you need to be a mechanic to keep them on the road. That filter can be a good thing.

Expecting more traffic on a subject where everything ya can do to a Harley has been done many times over across many generations is a bit silly. Best to open multiple forums in tabs. You'll get a lot more info between chop, antique and other forums than expecting one to have heavy content. Add welding and machinist forums for more brain food.

As for Born Free, unless you are in range to attend it's just another event. It has plenty of coverage. People born fairly recently use other social media besides forums such as Instagram.

Get Adobe Flash player

I like helping out new guys, and the young folk, I am in a lot of vintage vehicle clubs and go to a lot of events and I just flat out say BULLSHIT when some half assed know it fires up the old worn chestnut that "our hobby is dying, young people dont care, we are the last of the breed blah blah blah..."

So its funny to see events like locally the ONE Moto show in Portland has grown explosively over the years. Started in a abandoned warehouse for gearheads and freaks. Now, theres a line around the block just to get in and people travel from all over the world to attend. Some of the local fussbudgets from a local vintage MC club attended a few years ago and clumped up like 6th grade girls holding hands they walked around dazed and befuddled. Me being an Asshole made sure to laugh and rub it in. "Who are all these kids and where did they come from? Why dont they support our club?".... ha ha! But while I love Thor and his crew who make it an awesome event, its gone very corporate and now every trending brand wants onboard. One of the sponsors is a hipster run company who will fire any employee who goes past 30 because you are no longer brand relevant.
    one year that same company spray painted a delivery van rattle can black, filled it full of tattoo artists and while it broke down on the way to the gig
    (Towed in by a wrecker and pushed in front of the door) they were offering $20 tattoos all weekend which was wildly popular. (Get tatted up so you can fit in).

But, to an old fart like me, It gets really old and locally a constant source of ridicule of the Hitler youth hair cuts, facial hair, flannel, designer vests and designer boots skinny jeans latte sipping Hipster scene much of this has become. I sent youtube videos to friends and the comments were about the surprising amount of cute chicks but everyone was asking what was up with the flannel and hipster beards.

Look up "LUMBERSEXUALS" The gay logger look is big in Portlandia. Hair gell and beard treatments are huge and there was even hipster sylists on hand at this years show with an admittedly very cool steam punk-old school barber chair.

Dont get me started on Crackberries, Dumbfones, IFruits and that whole scene. Up until last July I still had a flip phone and people thought I was joking when I said not to F**King text me. People on many forums complain because of their ADD/ADHD interferes with my long winded rants and they have to scroll thru many pages. (Sore thumbs)

Ah well, now that I offended most of the chopper cult demographics and most of the advertisers Ill shut up now,,, but I may be old and fat, but I still like to laugh at some of this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	titanicd.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	76945

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by dougtheinternetannoyance123 View Post
    tl:dr version:
    fixed

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    There is a place just for you Q it's called the Cantina..... That's where all the cool unicorn/ewok guys started to get away from the dull CC...... You will fit right in over there....
    Thanks tattoo I checked out that site and it's even deader than this dump I only saw two Ewoks and they were jerking each other off and jammin beer cans up Sadriverhomo's ass

I spend time here (recently made a log-in), hdforms, looking at...you guessed right...the sportie section and various other form sites. Don't have instagram as it just another app on the iPhone.

Btw wayyy younger than 50.

Quote Originally Posted by vonhelmet View Post
    Yeah, maybe the chopper craze is dying out. They say "stock" bikes are the new choppers. Maybe someone should start a cool web place called "Stock Cult".
    Heck yah, eBay sissy bar, rack for luggage and a metal flake helmet and start putting the miles on the bike.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3978.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	300.8 KB 
ID:	76960

Name:	IMG_3990.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	76961

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by hmnavy72 View Post
    I spend time here (recently made a log-in), hdforms, looking at...you guessed right...the sportie section and various other form sites. Don't have instagram as it just another app on the iPhone.

Btw wayyy younger than 50.
    Nuthing wrong with being under 50, even though I am older than 5-0 I have the maturity level of a teenager. Nuttin wrong with a sporty either.
    Dont let these pillow biters shame that scene. I have had Big twins and do anything for me. I have a Lazy boy recliner in my living room and dont need one in the garage as well with tassels and chrome bling. Ive got a couple sporties and a bunch of Buells too (tuber & XBs) and nothing like lighting the fire on those. Ive got some old British bikes and always a special fondness for them. Used to be a lot of fun to show up at the RUBBIE dealership and park right up by the front door with an old Limey bike leaking oil on their fancy concrete on weekends when they do the free BBq and Blues bands. Eat their food and everyone likes checking out the old iron. But not as fun anymore as the local dealer now sells Triumphs as well so not the same.
    I think its funny when the lifestyle bikers make fun of my girls bikes. If you do your research, a lot of the old club guys including many of the Hells Angels rode Sportsters. Some rode British too. I met Sonny Barger 2x and at a book signing I got a chance to talk for a few and he stopped the whole show to talk British bikes. He said he really liked Triumphs a lot and used to have some. Its funny because in one of his books he talks about the whole HD thing and says that he never thought that HDs were very good bikes. He said he thought if you were serious about riding you shouldnt have to mess with a scoot that falls apart all the time and he said in his opinion the HA should be riding BMWs as they can go cross country without any issues. He said that idea got shot down. I find that endlessly funny and like to show that to the snobby BMW guys and ask how different would it be today if greasy outlaws all rode BMWs and clean cut squares rode HD?

Name:	buellcrybabymeme.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	76962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buell-Graveyard.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	76964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buelldifferent.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	76963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buellmeme2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	76965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BuellS2-NSFW (1).jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	76966

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Old bikes are largely an old man's hobby. How many people in this thread are under fifty? I ain't saying I'm old, but the last time I rubbed one out I shot dust. Choppers are a subset of the old motorcycle hobby and while the hobby isn't dying it depends greatly on old folks who don't care about handling or performance in anything but a straight line. That limits the audience.

The nice thing about choppers and vintage machines generally is you need to be a mechanic to keep them on the road. That filter can be a good thing.

Expecting more traffic on a subject where everything ya can do to a Harley has been done many times over across many generations is a bit silly. Best to open multiple forums in tabs. You'll get a lot more info between chop, antique and other forums than expecting one to have heavy content. Add welding and machinist forums for more brain food.

As for Born Free, unless you are in range to attend it's just another event. It has plenty of coverage. People born fairly recently use other social media besides forums such as Instagram.
    i often agree w/ farmall and do this time. not that it matters, but i'll be 50 in 2 years.
    ive loved choppers and motorcycles and old hot rods and custom and race cars all my life. i grew up in a car/bike family, so i guess it was in my blood.
    i've bought plenty of decent drivable 50s and 60s chevys and fords for less than a grand in the last 30 years.
    i've also got some awesome deals on bikes.
    i remember in the 90s you could still buy a decent running 60s triumph for $800.
    i also remember my dad telling when there was a time you couldnt give away a panhead cause everyone wanted a shovel.

and the hot lick way back was to convert your pan bottom to a shovel top end.. it was cool way back and i dought guys do that now, but guess what? i did it.

when i said potential buyers of choppers/chopper parts may wax & wain i meant that buying pool is constantly changing.

i'm not a statitcian and don't want to be morbid, but it seems to me that in the past(80s) the the amount of old guys dieing was appox the same amount of young guys picking up the hobby(cars & bikes). than i think it was around 1997 that it became super cool to own old shit(cars & bikes) thats around the time prices get stupid.
    another factor in the buyer pool that i know 1st hand is some guys that like bikes but decide to go full on into hot rods. and the other way 'round.

to the fast bike part. i've rode plenty of sport bikes when i was young and been over 100 MPH and i dont care about that anymore.
    on a chop i aint in a rush to be anywhere....well maybe to work.
    but the ride home on a summer day and i catch a whiff of someone grilling burgers. oh, yeah. you dont get that in a cage.

as farmall suggests. i also hang around other tool/machinist forums.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm starting a new trend. I'm chopping a Vespa.I'm also growing out my ass hair and am going to dreadlock it.it'll be the shit.literally
    Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 05-17-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

hello my name is Billy and I ride a sportster. and I ride on top

Get Adobe Flash player

Gee doc your gonna smell dreadfull with that arrangement. Bikes and riders are like the car and driver sceen, different types of people and personalitys and age determin their tastes to some degree I think, not always, depends what you grew up around too, Porches bmw's and rice rockets and goldwings wern't cool when I was inpressionable so I have no desire to own or hang out with people that thrive in that world and with the clothing requirments that come with those clicks...I'm out.

Get Adobe Flash player

Farmall I guess I'm the only young turd here...(just turned 32) but you are right, nobody my age wants a bike that only runs at 60mph for great distances, makes odd noises, nor do they want to work on them and have patience. Guess I owe that to the old man even though he wasn't and still isn't into bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post

Truer words never been spoken . Well said sir. Im in the catagory you describe.

Get Adobe Flash player

I guess I'm the only young turd here...(just turned 32)
    not the only...

i think you hit it on the head with the word patience.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by image1 View Post
    not the only...

i think you hit it on the head with the word patience.
    I would agree, a lot of people are impatient, but most sub 40-somethings are beyond impatient, with a strong aversion to discomfort and inconvenience.

Also worth mention, a lot of people probably just read and learn like I do. I don't post much, cause I don't have shit for value to add, without any kind of clandestine chopper knowledge like these older guys.

Get Adobe Flash player

I guess I joined this forum after it's heyday, fuggit, it's still a good resource. So a big thanks to Lisa and all the members who contribute.

Share This