Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCKSTR
    • Mar 2017

Help identifying EVO style motor

When I bought the motor, I was told it is an 80". I just want to confirm, but I'm having a hard time finding the info. Did S&S use the stock harley evo stroke?

Bottom end is S&S super stock

Top end is screamin eagle.

Without pulling a head, its hard to tell the displacement. If I pull a plug I should be able to measure the stroke to give me a ball park of what I've got here.

Any tips on how to go about determining the size of her?
    Attached Files
  • WillSCB
    • Dec 2014

If the cylinders are Screamin' Eagle, it's stock bore. If it's s&s cylinders, could be stock or big bore. May be a part # that will tell you what size with a little research on it. As far as stroke, one way to get a ballpark measurement for stroke is take the plug out, put a piece of wire into the cylinder, rotate engine till you get to TDC in that cylinder (when wire goes all the way up.) Make a mark on the wire where it comes out of the cylinder. Rotate to BDC (when wire goes all the way down.) Make a second mark on the wire and measure the distance between the two marks and you have a general idea of the stroke. Just make sure you are making your marks at the same point on the head. Not real scientific or perfectly accurate, but will give you a general idea if you are at a stock stroke or not.

Comment

• RCKSTR
      • Mar 2017

"If the cylinders are Screamin' Eagle, it's stock bore"

I didnt know if screamin eagle made larger displacement jugs.

Thats what I was wondering. Looks like I've got an 80

Thanks!

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

The S&S Super-Stock cases was available in Oem bore of 3-1/2" also the 3-5/8" and 3-13/16" bores..

You could pull the timing plug and read the numbers if the wheels are indeed S&S...

Those numbers will tell you the stroke and year code that the flywheels will fit..

A lot of motors are out there with having 4-5/8" stroke and the stock bore.... Comes up to 89"
        Last edited by Dragstews; 03-30-2017, 2:44 PM.
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• RCKSTR
          • Mar 2017

Will do, I'll let you know what I find

Thanks!

Comment

• RCKSTR
            • Mar 2017

The other thing with this motor is that it didn't accept a HD cam cover. I don't like the one on it so I bought a chrome evo one to put on, and it wont fit. Does S&S use a proprietary design or did I buy the wrong generation cover (bottom breather vs top) How much of the cases are based on an evo, what will swap on and what wont?
            Last edited by RCKSTR; 03-30-2017, 3:29 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

You could have 3-5/8" bore jugs on it ...
              Heads are SE which will bolt down on the Big Bore jugs....

If you could snap a photo of the jugs at the base in the middle, might be able to say for sure about being stock or Big Bore...

Comment

• RCKSTR
                • Mar 2017

Will do tomorrow!

Comment

• RCKSTR
                  • Mar 2017

Had a look at it yesterday, my hunch is that its a stock evo crank in S&S cases. Checked the flywheel for markings through the timing hole, nothing. I looked at S&S's site, all their flywheels have numbers stamped in them. The jugs do seem really close together at that base though, maybe stock flywheel with big bore kit and SE heads? Pic attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170331_1250124.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	1295901

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Does look like the jugs are big bore jugs ...

Wonder who made them ..???
                    S&S are proud of their products... They have their name on all parts that they make (Mostly all)

Wonder about the flywheels being T&O ... ???
                    They also stamp the wheels but is hard to see through the timing hole ...
                    The wheels from them look close to stock Oem wheels ... Not shinny like the S&S wheels made from cast steel ...
                    Last edited by Dragstews; 04-01-2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• RCKSTR
                      • Mar 2017

I will check for markings again tomorrow. All I can see is a single line, followed by a single dot, followed by 2 dots (timing marks)

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

You could stick a clean metal rod down the bore and turn the crankshaft by hand. Mark rod at BDC with a Sharpie then at TDC and measure to guesstimate stroke. I wouldn't bother.

It's not critical to know how large it is unless you are tearing it down and then you can take a digital caliper and micrometer to whatever you desire.

I'd tune it and ride it. Follow yer carb makers tuning instructions and have some new plugs handy to read insulator color.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;