CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    238

    Default jockey shift question

    anyone ever run a right hand jockey shift. and, leave the clutch on the handle bars?

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    How do you expect to coordinate throttle and clutch?

    Jockey shifts exist because they got rid of the extra weight, complexity and backlash of tank shifts. They otherwise have no advantage and do have the notable disadvantage of not being a foot shift.

    What motorcycle were you proposing to inflict this bizarre setup on?

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4evrshovel View Post
    anyone ever run a right hand jockey shift. and, leave the clutch on the handle bars?

    Why?????????? If you can't ride it with a foot clutch........ Learn.......

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    238

    Default

    [IMG][/IMG]this bike, old shovel.i will only have to let go of the throttle for a second. I like to do stuff no one else does. just not sure how it will work. that's why I am asking you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    How do you expect to coordinate throttle and clutch?

    Jockey shifts exist because they got rid of the extra weight, complexity and backlash of tank shifts. They otherwise have no advantage and do have the notable disadvantage of not being a foot shift.

    What motorcycle were you proposing to inflict this bizarre setup on?
    Last edited by 4evrshovel; 03-24-2017 at 7:29 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12,267

    Default

    And to think the whole reason for the first foot shift was to keep both hands on the handlebars....



    ^^ Pre-dates Harley's 1952 foot shift ^^
    Last edited by Dragstews; 03-24-2017 at 7:47 PM.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    238

    Default

    that's why they call it a suicide shift. I can foot shift on my daily rider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    And to think the whole reason for the first foot shift was to keep both hands on the handlebars....



    ^^ Pre-dates Harley's 1952 foot shift ^^

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4evrshovel View Post
    i will only have to let go of the throttle for a second.
    Wanna bet????? Why do you have a front brake????? Everyone has those???????????

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12,267

    Default

    Dang .... I thought it was called a suicide clutch ...???

    Yo Tattoo ... I think we're loosing the battle here Buddy ....
    Last edited by Dragstews; 03-24-2017 at 8:02 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    115

    Default

    I've been thinking about converting my Softail Springer to jockey shift. But I'm probably going to switch my forwards to floorboards first.

    I did find this link, though. Can't comment on the quality.

    https://washingtonchoppers.com/jockeyshifter.htm

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DIABOLUS View Post
    I've been thinking about converting my Softail Springer to jockey shift. But I'm probably going to switch my forwards to floorboards first.

    I did find this link, though. Can't comment on the quality.

    https://washingtonchoppers.com/jockeyshifter.htm
    Another site to eye-ball is ...

    .../// http://www.lajockeyshifter.com/ \\\...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 03-25-2017 at 2:32 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    fab kevin can sure beat those prices and a better product i'm sure.

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nuklhd View Post
    fab kevin can sure beat those prices and a better product i'm sure.
    Does he make a right side shift???? I bet not...

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post

    Yo Tattoo ... I think we're loosing the battle here Buddy ....
    LOL Hell I know we are..... LOL He doesn't even know what a suicide clutch bike even is.....

    I was wondering if he has even tried doing what he is wanting to do???????? Not just once or twice but everytime he shifts for a day no exceptions... Take your hand off the throttle touch the oil tank count one, shift with his foot go back to the throttle while your letting out the clutch, That will be about the same thing... I bet he hasn't even tried it before asking the question????

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,048

    Default

    Oh yea by the way you will need to do what I suggested above up and down shift..... No cheating...........

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Do like Indian did and go righty shift and lefty throttle.I saw and have pics of an old flathead HD with right side shift but I don't think it shows the linkage.Story goes that PD dept. that had Indians and changed to HD, upset some of those that liked the right side shift so they had some modified.

  16. #16

    Default

    LaBriola makes top quality components---know people running them and they work fine.

  17. #17
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmaineron View Post
    Do like Indian did and go righty shift and lefty throttle.I saw and have pics of an old flathead HD with right side shift but I don't think it shows the linkage.Story goes that PD dept. that had Indians and changed to HD, upset some of those that liked the right side shift so they had some modified.


    That's all well and good but they had foot clutches!!!!!So where are you going to put the hand clutch????? On the same side??? Good luck with that......

  18. #18
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nofendertom View Post
    LaBriola makes top quality components---know people running them and they work fine.
    Would you have a pic of a bike with it on them?????

  19. #19
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    I have no opinion about this half assed jockey shift plan but welcome back tattoo!



    I see you have crawled out of the woods and are done building the cabin. I spent last week in Tennessee at a hillbilly wedding I did skeet shooting drank moonshine and tore up all those nice hills with the Dodge hemi Challenger that I rented can't wait to go back
    Last edited by Bbqbiker; 03-26-2017 at 4:25 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbqbiker View Post
    I have no opinion about this half assed jockey shift plan but welcome back tattoo! I see you have crawled out of the woods and are done building the cabin. I spent last week in Tennessee at a hillbilly wedding I did skeet shooting drank moonshine and tore up all those nice hills with the Dodge hemi Challenger that I rented can't wait to go back


    Damn glad you had a great time... It's really nice there depending where you were?????

    I'll be back on CC from time to time for questions like this... But not like I was before it's a long story... I'm just to damn busy.....

    Glad you enjoyed Gods country.....

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in