CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Default sportster hate...

All I hear is how badass sporty's are, but the same people say no thanks to one. Even people who are sellin them wont trade for another that's built. most people have ridden one, and know how badass the 1200 evos are. Mines hardtailed and done, ready to ride, but people wont even consider it once they hear sportster. WTF?? I know the "girls bike" has stuck with it, but they are really well built, fast, and dependable. And 90% know it, but yet they wont trade a basket case big twin for a complete running bike that will more than likely smoke the big twin anyways. Guess im just venting, but I don't understand why so many talk up a sporty then shut you down when you offer them one. Hypacritasizers...

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Because they dont retain value.

I agree, and I know there's a smaller demographic for hardtailed chopped sportys, but I see them all day for 3500-4k stock, so I wouldn't think 4500 is too crazy for a "finished" bike

Get Adobe Flash player

Demand for one bike or another constantly fluctuates depending on what the perceived 'cool' bike of the moment is. Plus, half the guys that turn down buying a bike you have for sale only do so because they're broke ass bitches, they just don't want to admit it. Instead they just try to say you're bike isn't worth what you're asking.

The money you can sell one for may go up and down at different times, but Evo Sportsters are some of the best bikes H-D ever built and guys will be riding them forever.

My first Harley was a 07 Super Glide. Then I got a softail. All of my friends who ride Harleys either; A: Have a Sportster and love it, or B: Had one a, say it was the best bike they owned, and miss it. So, when I got the opportunity to get a 97 1200 custom for a song, I jumped on it. And its fun as hell to ride. Still keeping my softail for when my wife wants a ride because it is comfortable. As for someone calling it a 'girl's bike', fuck em.

Get Adobe Flash player

For a Bike that was conceived way back in 1952 .... It's still around...

Shoot .... Can't be all that bad if the "King" had one...
    (Oh Look .... Blue Suede Shoes )

Get Adobe Flash player

If you're having trouble trying to trade for a BT,..I think a lot of BT (and other larger model) owners have a thing for bigger bikes. So many people think a Sportster is a starter bike and eventually you "graduate" to a Dyna. I've ridden Dyna's,..not impressed. I'd only want a big bike for long distance touring,...which I don't do so I won't own one.

On top of being so many Sporties for sale, you've limited your audience by having a rigid.

Yeah, seems they there are 3 sportys to one big twin for sale. I'm happy with my sportster, just wish there was a better design for a kicker

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    If you're having trouble trying to trade for a BT,..I think a lot of BT (and other larger model) owners have a thing for bigger bikes. So many people think a Sportster is a starter bike and eventually you "graduate" to a Dyna. I've ridden Dyna's,..not impressed. I'd only want a big bike for long distance touring,...which I don't do so I won't own one.

On top of being so many Sporties for sale, you've limited your audience by having a rigid.
    I'd say it's a draw between an evo sportster and a dyna, both get about the same mileage while touring and in fact the sportster is more comfortable--the big twin has far more power. I've always thought my stock 1200 needed a better air cleaner with a set of cams, beyond that it was damn near perfect.

Also where it lost out were brakes, other than that I'll get another when I sell mine, just too much fun to not have one in the stable--in fact my other POS sporty is staying, just getting ridden nowhere near what the dyna will see.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by seaking View Post
    I'd say it's a draw between an evo sportster and a dyna, both get about the same mileage while touring and in fact the sportster is more comfortable--the big twin has far more power. I've always thought my stock 1200 needed a better air cleaner with a set of cams, beyond that it was damn near perfect.

Also where it lost out were brakes, other than that I'll get another when I sell mine, just too much fun to not have one in the stable--in fact my other POS sporty is staying, just getting ridden nowhere near what the dyna will see.
    The Big Twin doesn't really have much more power than the sporty, not stock at least. A stock 80" Evo puts out about 57hp, and stock 88" TC only bumps that to about 62hp. The BT feels more powerful in a way because it makes more torque due to it's heavier flywheels. The Sportster has it's advantage in it's much lower weight, a good 150lbs less than a Dyna or Softail.

Like everything, it's all personal preference and what you mainly use the bike for that decides if XL or BT is the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BadMonkeyMW View Post
    The Big Twin doesn't really have much more power than the sporty, not stock at least. A stock 80" Evo puts out about 57hp, and stock 88" TC only bumps that to about 62hp. The BT feels more powerful in a way because it makes more torque due to it's heavier flywheels. The Sportster has it's advantage in it's much lower weight, a good 150lbs less than a Dyna or Softail.

Like everything, it's all personal preference and what you mainly use the bike for that decides if XL or BT is the best choice.
    I really did notice the lack of low end when me and my ol lady were both on it and in a steep incline, not to say it didnt have the power, but just seemed to need a downshift and climb in a higher rpm range. When i hardtailed mine, i dunno how much weight it lost, but i will say its more nimble and much faster now, than when it had a swingarm and it was clubbed out(aftermarket susp. front/rear, dual disc, t-bars, fairing)

i dont expect to be able to trade a sporty for a running panhead or anything, shit id be happy with a shovel basket or a little older evo sporty, just wish people would give it a second look, because these sportys deserve some serious respect..

Get Adobe Flash player

There are a few things to consider. Most people riding are of the opinion that more displacement equals more power so there's strike one. Many Harley riders also want bigger engines for bragging rights (110 vs 103 and so on). Finally some people need they torque for touring options to haul around lots of extra shit. Combine that with the ever increasing size Americans are weighing and most will want torque i.e. A cruiser.

I feel your pain. I've got an 89 but I did lots of work to it and it's a bitching hot rod. The shovel was a little underwhelming when I rode it but that was in dire need of an engine overhaul. When that's finished and I've got a brand new one to ride I'll be able to give a better comparison

I'll give a few reasons for buying a shovel/bt when I had another perfectly good sporty to chop. One is the kickstart option that can be added to almost any bt motor and you don't need to worry about wrecking your knee in the process. Another is the various options available for transmissions- you can swap between several different ones without having to break the engine down. My 89 has a 4 speed and that's all it can ever have. You also have lots of options for primary drives which you could argue are for aesthetics but people like that shit (look how popular chrome shit is).
    Finally, it's much easier to do a bore kit which is arguably the cheapest and easiest way to improve power for any stock bike.
    So in short I like the idea of having more options, but that's just me and perhaps other builders. The market for sportster build options is growing considerably in recent years so who knows what the future holds
    Last edited by SlyJJ; 02-18-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    I'm happy with my sportster, just wish there was a better design for a kicker
    Never understood why someone would wanna kick start a bike that already has a starter.
    Ill trade you an evo sporty for a 64 sporty. It has a kick starter.

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VG-EVIL-KNIEVEL.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	75157

Evel used to jump busses on an Ironhead.
    Nobody called Evel a girl.
    Last edited by Oranje; 02-19-2017 at 3:08 PM. Reason: stuff

Get Adobe Flash player

lemmy on a sporty. i dare anyone to call him a girl. he'll come back from hell and fuck you up!

https://youtu.be/FL7-sbiGlzw
    Last edited by beat; 02-19-2017 at 4:01 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't need validation from celebrities riding what I ride.

All Elvis was good for was ripping off black bluesmen (who were much better musicians) so poor white trash could get away with listening to it in between lynchings. I can't fault his business model but wouldn't take motorcycle advice from him. Evel rode what was available and modern at the time. That time is ancient history. If he'd grown up with vastly superior modern motorcycles he've have wrecked less and jumped further. Much love for the late lamented Lemster, but he was hardly an authority on motorcycles. If Lady Gaga rocked a Sporty would anyone here give a shit?

Evo Sportsters are good motorcycles, but the world is overfull of used motorcycle options and a vehicle is worth what the market will bear.
    If you want to sell something, you get more for what customers prefer. Your own preference is irrelevant to sales.

Build what you like but remember custom vehicles reflect what the builder thinks is cool. That doesn't necessarily seduce the customer.

Mines hardtailed and done, ready to ride, but people wont even consider it once they hear sportster.
    So if it's wonderful why are you trying to sell it? Ride and enjoy!

While my motto is never marry what you can pimp, arguing someone else should marry what I pimp can be problematic. Motorcycles are toys and customers gotta be in lust or they'll go elsewhere.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by XbrooklynX View Post
    Never understood why someone would wanna kick start a bike that already has a starter.
    Ill trade you an evo sporty for a 64 sporty. It has a kick starter.
    oh fuck my battery is dead enough so that the starter won't spin cause I left the ignition switch on when I stopped for lunch

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I don't need validation from celebrities riding what I ride.

Much love for the late lamented Lemster, but he was hardly an authority on motorcycles. If Lady Gaga rocked a Sporty would anyone here give a shit?
    i agree my friend. i was just throwing out a bit of fun and brevity 'cause the sporty(girl bike) vrs BT argument has been going on for longer than i can remember. it still comes up, but i'm bored w/ it.
    evil rode a triumph before he was sponsored by harley
    lemmy on a trump.

lemmy liked bikes and bikers but never really rode
    Last edited by beat; 02-19-2017 at 6:25 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

to follow up and be fair if you watch the motorhead killed by death video you can see that lemmy isnt really "riding". the scenes of him riding is a bike strapped to a trailer and him on it.
    just like in the sid visious video for c'mon everybody. the scenes of him "riding" were on a trailer. the shots of a guy riding were a look alike rider.
    https://youtu.be/I4RKo_K7VqM

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
    oh fuck my battery is dead enough so that the starter won't spin cause I left the ignition switch on when I stopped for lunch
    One of the things every man should know how to do. Bump start a car/motorcycle.

Share This