CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default MOVING TO TEXAS FROM CALIFORNIA: what am I allowed to do?

Hey guys,
    I did a quick search and came up with a little info but not enough. Im moving to Texas for a job opportunity and buying a house. Coming from california where lane splitting is legal. I know that its not technically legal there but if I happen to do it am I gonna have to deal with backlash from any drivers and or police? Also I have no horn or turn signals. again, are they gonna trip super hard? Is there anything else I should know about moving out there? Im super excited to move out there, I just want to be prepared as my motorcycle is my only form of transportation! Thanks, -Austin

dont lane split in texas, some cowboy will open the door of his truck to spit out his chaw and you will be history!

Get Adobe Flash player

You can stand out in a Corn Field with Daddy Bush and George W and listen to Daddy Bush telling son he knows what it also feels like not to be able to pull out in time too...!!! ....

op, what part of texas are you moving too?

a buddy i sold my old sporty to moved to corpus and came back in a couple years without his bike.he said it was just to dangerous to ride there.he did have a couple little kids so i can see that.

life here in sw MO is so dam sweet i cant imagine moving. but if i did move it would be north texas or south arkansaw.

Get Adobe Flash player

Definitely no lane splitting, some asshole will most intentionally take you out. All Metro areas in TX traffic SUX mule cocks. East and Central TX has some beautiful rides. There is nothing good about Houston hope that's not where you are headed. Long riding season but it's hot as hell Jul/Aug. Make sure you get uninsured motorist ins on all your vehicles because if you do have a accident it is always with some asshole illegal that doesn't have a lic or ins.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you have turn signals on the bike they have to work, if they are removed no prob. You need a horn for inspection but I just ziptie a little air horn like you use on a boat to the handlebars once a year and good to go. Also need a high beam

Get Adobe Flash player

I've been riding in TX for 20 years now. I split lanes, don't have blinkers or horn and I typically ride pretty hard. My inspection and tags have been out for years but I still ride. Hell, I just got off my bike here at work 15 mins ago. TX has some beautiful roads to ride but it can be very dangerous in the big citys. I ride through Houston, Austin and Dallas quite a bit and I'm nervous as hell while there. My anxiety kicks in and I can't wait to get back out in the country where I live. I've been pulled over one time because the cop thought I was someone else. I've passed cops while standing on my pegs doing well over the speed limit and they tend to look the other way. TX is pretty layed back for the most part. I live an hour south of Houston on the Gulf Coast.

Get Adobe Flash player

Agree with above, BUT, Buy a bicycle squeak horn, 3 bucks or a dollar at Dollar Store, for inspection only. No signals, no speedo/tach no problem.

You only need one mirror. You can legally carry a knife upto 5.5 (I carry a Large Espada, and a Fixed 5.5 Tanto)

Ride as aggressive as you possibly can in the cities (Austin/Houston/Dallas) Because and I will definitely say, Traffic SUCKS ASS!!

Great riding areas outside of the cities, and weather goes from 120 to 30's every now and then, so good leather jacket, and a backpack/sissybar to strap shit too.

As long as your not a "douche on a sportsbike" most cops leave you alone, Ive passed state on a wheelie in my area (but im in a border town) and I HIGHLY agree get uninsured motorist, TONS of people out this way dont give a shit about insurance (legal or illegals)

A lot of people from Mexico and other places dont get it, because the laws dont apply to them and a lot of locals wont get it, because they have to pay full cost anyways.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post

Ride as aggressive as you possibly can in the cities (Austin/Houston/Dallas) Because and I will definitely say, Traffic SUCKS ASS!!
    testify

Get Adobe Flash player

Texas is great. For the most part its pro motorcycle.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the responses everyone! Im moving from Los angeles to Austin so Im pretty familiar with the worst traffic ever. As far as lane splitting im mostly concerned with the vigilantes who think that lane splitting is the devils work and will run you off the road. Im fine with not doing it through moving traffic but I will probably scoot to the front of the line at lights so i dont get rear ended. I do now have a question on inspections though. Is it required to have your bike inspected every year in texas? seams like alot haha. Im at a point in my young life where I can finally afford to have full coverage insurance so I have all of it. Maxed out on all insurance. and putting a horn on wont be a problem. Havent fully rewired my bike yet so im pretty sure the wiring is still there to put the stock horn back on! Thnaks, -Austin
    Last edited by ajz; 01-12-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ajz View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone! Im moving from Los angeles to Austin so Im pretty familiar with the worst traffic ever. As far as lane splitting im mostly concerned with the vigilantes who think that lane splitting is the devils work and will run you off the road. Im fine with not doing it through moving traffic but I will probably scoot to the front of the line at lights so i dont get rear ended. I do now have a question on inspections though. Is it required to have your bike inspected every year in texas? seams like alot haha. Im at a point in my young life where I can finally afford to have full coverage insurance so I have all of it. Maxed out on all insurance. and putting a horn on wont be a problem. Havent fully rewired my bike yet so im pretty sure the wiring is still there to put the stock horn back on! Thnaks, -Austin
    Yes, annual inspection is required but only like 7 bucks. I have full coverage on everything I own but I'm so far behind on my MC registration that I'd have to take a loan on my bike to get the plates right. TX just changed the law this year that you have to get inspection before registration. Insp stickers are no longer required but you have to carry a piece of paper proving you passed inspection. I'm so damn tired of giving my hard earned money to the man. 3 trucks, 2 cars, 3 trailers, 2 bikes and a camper. Seems like every month I'm standing in line at the court house to fork over money for a little fucking sticker granting me permission to operate a machine that I own.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    You can stand out in a Corn Field with Daddy Bush and George W and listen to Daddy Bush telling son he knows what it also feels like not to be able to pull out in time too...!!! ....
    Pull out?

Get Adobe Flash player

I pay 120 a year full coverage, Ins is 7 bucks and plates are usually like 50? I dont remember. A lot of people will actually pass your bike as long as you ride it there and didnt die on the way lol.

I pay 120 a year on an 85 FXRC my uncle pays 90 full coverage on a 02 VRod so ins isnt bad.

unless your a horn blower, just throw a bicycle horn in your saddlebag/tool bag and leave it at that. you can get a Hello Kitty one if you want to be unique. 0.0 lol.

Get Adobe Flash player

Soy un Tejano

General life advise for Texas:

So California has more dumb rules than any place I've ever lived but zero abiltiy to enforce them in any meaningful way and in a sense is lawless.

You can own a tank in Texas. But if something is against the law, like say smoking pot. Don't do it. Or at least don't get caught. They will hang you. In a sense it's much more civilized. Do what you want. Take care of yourself, you're an adult. Resect your neighbor. Screw with someone and they may shoot you. Also if someone says they are going to punch you, they are going to punch you. There seems to be a lot of crazies yelling about fighting (in L.A. at least), but they never fight.

Texas is awesome. Embrace it. Every part of Texas (North, East, South, and West) has a differnet culture but still it's pretty great.

Get Adobe Flash player

Buy a good fixed/Folder you like and always carry a knife, (No real reason other then someone always offers you pie, or Tea and you can use a good knife as a spoon.

I agree with the Above post (clickjack)

Get Adobe Flash player

One thing: get TX registration as soon as you get here. I have been riding here for over 35 years. I have been stopped twice. Both times it was an out of state tag that got the attention. With Texas tags, I have been passed by a deputy while I was doing 80 in a 65. He just waved as he went by.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by sdewolfe View Post
    I have been passed by a deputy while I was doing 80 in a 65. He just waved as he went by.
    Texans watch out for Texans, lol

Get Adobe Flash player

jeezus Christ I wish I would have moved there when I could.
    you cant even fart in mi without 3 pieces of paper from 3 different agencys. they are gonna pay off the national debt with road tax from fuel and licences plates.
    you better hurry up son, while texas is still free.austin is probably like California by now.
    I like all of it for what its woth exept the goddam heat way in the south, last time I was in Houston my boots literly where melting to the pavement...

Share This