CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Noob questions - looking at a bike

Been looking for a 80" shovelhead - I came across this bike

http://elpaso.craigslist.org/mcy/5833767292.html

He's sent me more photos, we've talked about everything...Assuming I can find a safe way to buy a bike off Craigslist in El Paso I have to ship it to me.

In order to ride it/register it in California I have to put turn signals back on it. Front & rear. What do you think that'll take? Also how hard do you think it'll be to set the original ignition back up? I believe it should be on left hand side. Looks like he added a 2000's era spedo & ignition (it's on the tank).

I'm trying to decide if I should jump on this or wait till something closer to me, maybe ready to go in California turns up.

Get Adobe Flash player

You will need a CHP appt. to verify the VIN here in Cali to get it registered. Never had them fixit ticket for missing turn signals, only had issues if the title was salvaged then you need them signed off. But if its salvaged then you better check horn, mirror, DOT rims and tires and DOT lenses including tail and head light. Instead of shipping it... ride it back

Get Adobe Flash player

Turn signals and ignition arent going to be very difficult to install/change. On the flip side I really dont know california law too well, but I do know they're up the ass of every bike thats out there (presumably because of the 1%ers).

Thats a sweet looking bike, but I wouldnt post a link to it unless you want someone to poach your find....

Get Adobe Flash player

I would pass on it. For that much money and trouble, it is too far from stock. Look closer to home. There is no shortage in Cali of Shovels nor shovel owners in need of cash. Be patient and vigilant.

The further from stock, the more chance that it has been bubbafied and in need of very costly repairs.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by feelyx View Post
    You will need a CHP appt. to verify the VIN here in Cali to get it registered. Never had them fixit ticket for missing turn signals, only had issues if the title was salvaged then you need them signed off. But if its salvaged then you better check horn, mirror, DOT rims and tires and DOT lenses including tail and head light. Instead of shipping it... ride it back
    I'm new to Ca. So no turn signals isn't an issue?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BuxBitza View Post
    I would pass on it. For that much money and trouble, it is too far from stock. Look closer to home. There is no shortage in Cali of Shovels nor shovel owners in need of cash. Be patient and vigilant.

The further from stock, the more chance that it has been bubbafied and in need of very costly repairs.
    I didn't pay that for it. I feel like if for what I paid if I can dump if I need to.

Wanted to buy in California but I haven't found much, and everything was twice as expensive for what looked like more work.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Clickjack View Post
    I personally never had a problem when pulled over... only when inspection of a salvage titled bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Clickjack View Post
    I have registered multiple out of state, customized bikes in California. One of them didn't even have a title, I had to go in with nothing but a bill of sale and statement of facts. I had zero problems. You do NOT need turn signals to pass inspection. You DO need a speedo with an ODOMETER. It does not have to be working. I have literally zip-tied one to my handlebars and passed inspection. If it has a title you will NOT need to go the the CHP, but you WILL get inspected at the DMV (if that DMV does inpections).

Get Adobe Flash player

be patient

Share This