CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Fitting 11mm Belt on Open Primary BDL Drive Swingarm Shovel

Hi guys,

Can you think of any reason why a standard 31-tooth front pulley and 47-tooth rear clutch pulley would not have a belt size that matches? I have this BDL open primary setup in a factory 75 Shovel frame with a round swingarm and the 96 tooth belt is too short and the 99 is too long.

I do have an adjustable tranny plate and still can't move it enough to accommodate either design. It seems like the round swingarm is larger and limits tranny movement, but I have friends that are running what we believe to be the same setup without issues.

It's a complete open belt that doesn't have an inner primary limiting movement right now.

Thank you

Get Adobe Flash player

You might have the gears mismatched. I had a problem finding the right belt. Called them and that what happened to me.

Get Adobe Flash player

Might be able to clearance the Trans lid and/or the seat post to allow the trans to slide forward more.
    Elongate those slots if need be.
    Forward trans plate carriage bolt heads can be cut for clearance too

Contrawise, raising the trans plate with spacers might let you use that longer belt. If you have room under the oil tank...

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks man, but I think the teeth are right since 47-31 is BDL standard kit.

A buddy of mine told me today that when he installed an e-start primary on is round swingarm shovel the inner primary limited movement so much that he couldn't get his 11mm to accept a belt size..... He ended up switching to an 8mm, which evidently allows a tooth set and belt that falls in between 11mm sizes?

BDL was closed today so I'm going to call tomorrow.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    Might be able to clearance the Trans lid and/or the seat post to allow the trans to slide forward more.
    Elongate those slots if need be.
    Forward trans plate carriage bolt heads can be cut for clearance too

Contrawise, raising the trans plate with spacers might let you use that longer belt. If you have room under the oil tank...
    Yeah man, I hear where you're coming from. When sliding forward the lid is hitting the seat post and headed back it hits the swingarm. I'm really not opposed to doing any clearancing, but I'd rather validate first that it's absolutely necessary before modifying OEM parts.

Get Adobe Flash player

To close this thread out in case others search for it in the future...

I called BDL and they said that 99 tooth 11mm 47-31 belt drives are designed to run with some slack inside of a primary that has an idler pulley. To run a BDL in a swingarm frame that's open the 8mm is the best choice. 61 tooth rear and 41 tooth front with a 132 tooth belt.

Share This