CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Ectric/kick shovelhead problems!

33 Minutes Ago
    Default Electric/kick shovelhead problem
    So I've got a 1979 shovelhead with a starter and kick(you can look at the pic) and I got it running and rode it around a couple times. The last two times I rode it, it died on me and wouldn't start, motor ended up flooding while the starter was draining the battery. We plug the plugs and let it air out both times and finally got it back to my house and it was bogging and backfiring. the next time I went to ride it, it absolutely would not start. I checked the points gap, static timed it and nothing. The points had soark to them so i Pulled the starter out and everything was fine, the teeth weren't grinded and nothing was broken. Solinoid is brand new and I just replaced the advancing unit. It has power, it has spark, it loses compression sometimes but after a few kicks it builds it back up, its been that way since I first got it. A couple things I noticed is that the carb seems to flood very fast and it sometimes doesn't shoot gas into the carb(I'm thinking its because its vaccum fed so ones it sits long enough and the gas evaporates it loses the vaccum?) Also I have oil on my cylinder walls right below the front rocker cover

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead94 View Post
    33 minutes ago
    default electric/kick shovelhead problem
    so i've got a 1979 shovelhead with a starter and kick(you can look at the pic) and i got it running and rode it around a couple times. The last two times i rode it, it died on me and wouldn't start, motor ended up flooding while the starter was draining the battery. We plug the plugs and let it air out both times and finally got it back to my house and it was bogging and backfiring. The next time i went to ride it, it absolutely would not start. I checked the points gap, static timed it and nothing. The points had soark to them so i pulled the starter out and everything was fine, the teeth weren't grinded and nothing was broken. Solinoid is brand new and i just replaced the advancing unit. It has power, it has spark, it loses compression sometimes but after a few kicks it builds it back up, its been that way since i first got it. A couple things i noticed is that the carb seems to flood very fast and it sometimes doesn't shoot gas into the carb(i'm thinking its because its vaccum fed so ones it sits long enough and the gas evaporates it loses the vaccum?) also i have oil on my cylinder walls right below the front rocker cover

Ok first off do you have a manual??????? Next have you rebuilt the carb??????? If not you need to....... That's most of your problem......

What is ( The points had soark to them) mean???????
    Last edited by Tattooo; 10-26-2016 at 1:38 PM.

My auto correct messed it up, pretty much in short, the last two times I rode my bike, it died on me. Both times we spent so long trying to start it my stsrter drained my battery so we started trying to kick it over and it still wouldn't start. We pulled the spark plugs and they wreaked of gas so we sat for an hour and let the cylinders air out. We popped them back in and jumped it with a car and it took forever to start,(both times) but we got it running and each time I rode it back it would bog and back fire. I recently went to try riding it again and it would not turn over. I checked for spark, its good. I recently replaced the advancing unit so I figured the gap and timing was off. I reset the points gap to factory .018 and static timed it as best as I could and still, it would not start. It has compression(though sometimes when kicking it it will lose compression but after giving it a couple kicks it rebuilds its conpression. Something's I noticed was that the carb seems to flood fast and if the bike sits long enough I've noticed that the jet that shoots gas into the back of the carb and into the cylinders, won't shoot any gas as if the fuel was off. Also I've noticed that I have oil on the outside of my cylinder walls around the bottom of the rocker covers

*spark. I was told to rapidly open the points with the ignition on to see if the condenser was bad. And yes, I have a manuel

Get Adobe Flash player

QUOTE=Tattooo;745170]

What is ( The points had soark to them) mean???????[/QUOTE]

That's Jive talk .....

.../// https://youtu.be/RrZlWw8Di10 \\\...

I'm Scottish lol

Get Adobe Flash player

Well.....

Hootman Laddie .....

.../// https://youtu.be/AF0agmxvKgQ \\\...

Think I would fix the carb problems first....
    If the carb is the OG Keihin Butterfly that the year bike you have came with is easy to rebuild....

$50 will buy you a James rebuild kit...

Last edited by Dragstews; 10-26-2016 at 2:55 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ok I'll ask again.......... Did you rebuild the carb???????? Is it charging???????? How old is the battery?????????? Put in new plugs even if those are new.......... Those are gas fouled....... Glad you have a manual..........

Its not even a year old, but it has been drained and recharged a bunch of times while testing the bike. And no, I have not rebuilt the carb, you really think that would be the problem? I tested the ohms of the coil since it looked like it had weak spark and it was at like 3. Something, the Manuel says its supposed to be at 4.7.

Get Adobe Flash player

If it's flooding it doesn't matter what the ohms are........ Fix one thing at a time...... Rebuild the carb.......

Share This