Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skankr1
    • Aug 2016

71 OIF Build

This is my first post on here. I've owned a basket case Trump for 15 years and finally decided to put it together. The plan is to hardtail it. So far, I have fitted a late 90's sporty front end and 21" wheel. I will post pics as I progress.
    Attached Files
  • skankr1
    • Aug 2016

Progress. Started tearing the motor down, got the rear wheel assembles and bars mounted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	1292489

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	1292490
    Last edited by skankr1; 09-06-2016, 1:42 PM.

Comment

• sickboy1
      • Jun 2013

Let us know how the hard tail goes. I've got a 71 myself and was thinking going the hard tail route

Comment

• skankr1
        • Aug 2016

The hardtail is being built. The cylinders and head are at the machine shop getting honed and resurfaced. I haven't done much to it except gather missing parts and wait. I will post more as I progress though.

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	1293309 Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	1293310 Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	1293311

Comment

• skankr1
          • Aug 2016

I did get my tail light built. Repurposed old Turner microphone.

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	1293312

Comment

• samtheman576
            • Mar 2015

Hey man, me and a pal finished a 72 OIF bonnie this past fall. except we ran into running issues after we finished i think we screwed up the piston rings. we put a david bird hardtail on it. and an early evo 35mm front end.

Comment

• samtheman576
              • Mar 2015

Name:	20150730_195934.jpg
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	1293853Click image for larger version

ID:	1293853Click image for larger version

ID:	1293853

Comment

• samtheman576
                • Mar 2015

Name:	20160502_234332.jpg
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	1293854 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160502_234443.jpg
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	1293855

Comment

• Yootracker
                  • Jan 2017

That microphone tail light is killer...I'll be following your progress , keep the pics coming

Comment

• skankr1
                    • Aug 2016

Update. Cylinders and head are back on. I have most of the electronic parts (minus battery, ignition switch and wiring) to finish. I just need the hardtail to come in and she'll finally start coming together.

Name:	IMG_1606.jpg
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	1294064 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1603.jpg
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	1294065 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1604.jpg
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	1294066 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1605.jpg
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	1294067

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                      • Apr 2012

Just a note of caution, It used to be uncommon to see OIF bikes hardtailed, but clearly more and more being done. Theres a few kinks in using them. The factory experienced cracking of the frames on some early models. The reason is the main spine (Oil tube) is rather thin. Some cases of cracking at the headstock but not often as its well braced and they changed it slightly post 73, But the most common problem was cracking and oil leaks where the oil tube joins the plate at the rear of the engine (Top side of the sump) If you look, many have cobbly welds and a lot of splatter. My advice is make a collar split in 2 that extends up the spine (oil tube) and drill some 1/4" holes in the collar, Fit both halves around the spine where it joins the bottom plate, tack in place both halves then weld in the holes spreading the weld contacts around the whole collar and then weld in the split and tops and bottoms of the collar. Best to use TIG and done in a JIG. dont warp anything and control heat. A Wire feed will work if you know what you are doing but again control heat.
                      This reinforces the area considerably. Keep in mind you are re-purposing the frame in a way the factory never intended.
                      #2) Again, this is REALLY thin tubing you are welding too and expecting it to support a lot of weight and stress. The pix SAMTHEMAN posted show this problem. I would seriously consider reinforcing and spreading out stress and loading by using a triangle plate and welding it across the tops of both tubes and spreading out the load and welding to the Oil Spine in a much larger area. After a lot of riding you will find that metal fatigue will fracture the oil spine the way its currently done in those pics. Sure suck to have your frame crack or break.
                      #3) Most of these Hdtails come too far fwd, I have a frame here someone did years ago, I am redoing the hardtail because the stock type Triumph tank wont fit. It hits those top tubes. While the pix of the little peanut tank might appeal to some, the big complaint about OIF frames is they look bulky. The stock gas tanks cover up this part very well. Perching a little wassell tank on top again might look cool to some, but to me looks like a tiny hat on top of a fat guy. (Think tiny top hat on a sumo wrestler) I LIKE the big 1971 tanks and they look good on this kind of build. Feel free to disagee but regardless you guys are gonna have a hard time finding ANY tank that will have a wide enough tunnel for that fat spine. The stock type Triumph tanks look good and are easily sourced. Plus,, you can modify those to suit. I like the 50s style and have fit the package racks on them as well. (look cool, and you can carry a 6 pack there at bike rallys or really tiny strippers)
                      My unsolicited $0.02

Comment

• skankr1
                        • Aug 2016

Thanks for the info Doug. My pops is doing the welding. He's a CWI and used to build drag bike frames. He's knowledgeable and doesn't cut corners. It will be all jigged & TIGed, and we are going to gusset the bejesus out of her. The tank I have is a narrow tank from a later OIF. I'm going for a very skinny look. I am going to make the tank bottom sit flush with the bottom of the tube. Here's a pic of how I want the tank to sit. Feel free to criticize, but I dig it.

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	1294170 Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	1294171

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                          • Apr 2012

Sounds like you got a handle on it. I was pinged earlier by another guy seeking advice on a OIF build so I thought i would throw out some input and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.
                          Many people are unaware of the cracking issue, especially the rear spine. It starts as oil leakage and people assume its all coming from the motor when its small cracks in the frame. If your pops has the skills, Im sure you will see what I mean soon enough.
                          Your tank is fine.. If it covers the Oil tube/spine that will do the trick. Again, I am just expressing an opinion and I realize many people really like the tiny tank look, I like bigger tanks as well as balancing the look.
                          That one pictured is a smooth top later T140 tank, I am sure it will be fine. Be advised though they ARE prone to their own cracking. Make sure you retain the bottom reinforcement strap and if yours is missing or no bosses, ADD THEM. The tanks tend to bow and spread and then crack. Common problem, also be sure you use lots of good rubber donuts on the underside to properly support and cushion it. When people neglect that they distort and metal fatigue and then crack.
                          The important thing is its cool you guys are wrenching on the old iron and keeping them on the road. Motor on!

Comment

• skankr1
                            • Aug 2016

Progress.

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	1295510 Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	296.3 KB