Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArkTinkerer
    • Jun 2014

Good looking bags for a chopper?

Working on general ideas for my first chopper build. Most of the issues are pretty easy to solve (at least on paper!). Problem is I like to make longer trips and want storage. Strapping to the sissy bar is easy but what about bags? I can't seem to find any way to do it without it looking REALLY bad. Nothing seems to look right. Would really appreciate some pics of choppers with decent saddle bags. What you guys got?
  • panheadpete
    • Oct 2011

Google image search "Swedish Choppers" and "Rouges MC" those guys have awesome bikes and ride all over Europe packing there own stuff

Dont forget they dont have to be on there full time - nor do the support brackets if you use soft bags

Comment

• hellamopeds
      • Jun 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	2dc84cd0ca9aa1d1007b605cba45918b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1292316

Comment

• shitsnack
        • Sep 2012

There was a thread about this made a few days ago. Look around or do a search before starting a new thread. Jesus Christ.

Comment

• ArkTinkerer
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by shitsnack
          There was a thread about this made a few days ago. Look around or do a search before starting a new thread. Jesus Christ.
          FWIW I did do a search for "bags" "chopper bags" "chopper luggage" before I started this thread. There were threads about swing arms bags, luggage in general, leatherwork. Nothing about bags on choppers. I can find lots of pictures about saddlebags for bobbers and regular bikes and hardside "baggers", but when looking at choppers (tall sissybars and stretch forks) you just don't see much. Best I have seen is a couple very small softside leather saddlebags.

Comment

• Yodhan
            • Jun 2015

I would just get some throw-over bags and modify them so they fit. That way you don't have to worry about them being on there all the time and you have the storage. Had a set on my old 81 naked Goldwing and they worked great.

Comment

• ArkTinkerer
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Yodhan
              I would just get some throw-over bags and modify them so they fit. That way you don't have to worry about them being on there all the time and you have the storage. Had a set on my old 81 naked Goldwing and they worked great.
              Not really a bad idea I guess. I carry too much crap. Could certainly carry less in the saddlebags if I put a tool roll up front. Wouldn't have to move the tools around then going from daily to trip mode either.

Comment

• xMPRx
                • Jun 2013

If your bike is still an idea in your head and not physically built i would say there are a hell of a lot more things to be concerned about. but I have a set of 74 FLHP hard bags that i really like because how slim they are.

Comment

• ArkTinkerer
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by xMPRx
                  If your bike is still an idea in your head and not physically built i would say there are a hell of a lot more things to be concerned about. but I have a set of 74 FLHP hard bags that i really like because how slim they are.
                  Have a pile of parts. I always try and draw ideas and collect parts before I start building. I've modified before but this is a much more ambitious project. Drawing and measuring things keeps me from making as many stupid mistakes. Mistakes in metal are much more expensive and time consuming than pieces of paper. Doing a build and then finding out I can't carry needed gear would limit use of the bike. I don't plan to build a lot of bikes with the years I have remaining so I'd rather make this one count.

Comment

• image1
                    • Aug 2009

i'd say you're trying to pack too much...

i rode from OH to CA and back with a 9" sissy bar, no bags. And i had a SHITLOAD of parts/tools (there is an extra mag body, kicker cover, and a bunch of other stuff in there) with me (plus camping gear, clothes, etc etc...)

if you HAVE to have bags, i'm with the others that recommend a pair of toss overs. In my opinion, you will never find a set of bags that look right on a chopper. They are always gonna be too big/look like an after thought (because they don't belong on a chopper). Just grin and bear it, if you're going on a long trip that requires a bunch of stuff, what's wrong with looking like you're going on a long trip that requires a bunch of stuff??

Comment

• xMPRx
                      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by ArkTinkerer
                      Have a pile of parts. I always try and draw ideas and collect parts before I start building. I've modified before but this is a much more ambitious project. Drawing and measuring things keeps me from making as many stupid mistakes. Mistakes in metal are much more expensive and time consuming than pieces of paper. Doing a build and then finding out I can't carry needed gear would limit use of the bike. I don't plan to build a lot of bikes with the years I have remaining so I'd rather make this one count.
                      ya not a bad idea. In my opinion I have yet to see a set of soft bags that look good on a bike. im sure there are some. but they just look out of place on a chopper the advantage being you can remove them and be back to your original bike. I think hard bags look good if they are built with the bike and look as if the builder designed them for the bike and not just an after thought. Alot of fxr guys pull them off but im sure that purpose built style of bike is far from your chopper in mind.

Comment

• xMPRx
                        • Jun 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	1292358

Comment

• ArkTinkerer
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by xMPRx
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]71694[/ATTACH]
                          I appreciate the artwork and labor of this but, other than the paint job, these look like boxes stuck on the back of the bike.

I'm looking at throw over saddlebags or the utilitarian look of small ammo boxes. I am in some agreement that I am trying to carry too much. I think bags, blended in with the body lines, work for what I think are more commonly called baggers. Again, when I think of choppers, I think of the bikes with the stretch front and tall sissy bar. The small leather bags seem most in keeping with this style. Not much storage though. Trying to see if the utilitarian look of the small ammo boxes can fit in with the less streamlined vision of a chopper.
                          Last edited by ArkTinkerer; 08-25-2016, 5:32 PM. Reason: SMALL ammo boxes!

Comment

• panheadpete
                            • Oct 2011

Ammo boxes??? Come on you can do better than that - please!

Comment

• panheadpete
                              • Oct 2011

Ammo boxes??? Come on you can do better than that - please!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;