CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Portable wideband O2 setup?

Anybody here use a portable (removable) Wideband O2 system for tuning purposes?

I've got a couple carbureted bikes that are going to need tuned and I'd like to play with a Wideband to help dial them in. I know I can do it the old fashioned way with vaccuum gauges, plug reading, times runs, etc. but I tried a wideband (permanent install) on my old car and it was SO much faster and easier. Especially with the transitional circuits and accel pump timing.

Anyway, if anybody here is using one, I'd be interested in hearing what you're using and how you like it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds like fun, and you of course can fab a test harness if the wireless deal doesn't work out.

Please post results.

Get Adobe Flash player

Innovate makes the LM-2 portable unit that has more features than I really need and it's a little more expensive than I really wanted to spend but it's still a tempting package. Would save me having to build an enclosure and mount for the controller and gauge. It can also display RPM which would be nice since my bike doesn't have a tach.

I've used Innovate stuff a couple times in the past and had generally good luck with it. Their gauge/controller combos can be picky about power in a complex EFI car installation but on a bike I'd just hook it directly to the battery. The are better controllers out there but I'm not running high compression or anything that require super fast response or bell-n-whistles. Just need a basic tool to point me richer or leaner on my carb...

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

The price has come down since the last time I looked and amazon also has the accessories I would want. $332 for the package. I was estimating I could assemble something a bit more rough and ugly for around $250...That extra $80 is starting to sound pretty good... I know it can seem like a lot of $ if you already know how to tune by feel but if you compare the cost to dyno time and the ability to move it from machine to machine I think it starts to make a lot of sense.

https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Moto.../dp/B001S7W836

Last edited by cggorman; 06-21-2016 at 2:37 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

That price ain't high considering how much it can do.

I never cried myself to sleep over buying good equipment.

Get Adobe Flash player

that price is reasonable. i use a testo 320 everyday setting up engines but at 5-6k its a little more than you will need

http://www.testo350.com/testo-320-oxygen-analyzer.html

I fabricated and exhaust sniffer similar to the one in the pic and then just bought a wide band o2 sensor and a gage that would normally be used for permanent mounting but just put alligator clips on it for the battery. I need to make a small box to mt. the gage in so I can put it in a small magnetic tank bag to make it easier to ride with it hooked up. It works good and I think I've got about $100 in the set up.

Get Adobe Flash player

That was my original plan. $100 seems way under my original estimate based on cursory research of component costs.

Care to share the brand/model of your gauge and sensor?

About the cheapest controller/gauge I've found is around $100 (Innovate) and the sensors run around $75 (Bosch).
    Last edited by cggorman; 06-30-2016 at 6:50 AM.

Price has gone up a little since i set mine up. Its now $155 on amazon

Innovate Motorsports (3844) MTX-L Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge Kit, Bosch LSU 4.9 - includes LSU 4.9 Sensor

Share This