Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Duke1503
    • Mar 2016

No title!

Picked up a 75 ironhead basket case for 500$ problem is there is no sorts of paper work for it
    Any help would be great thanks!
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Search function will yield the title thread.

A basket Ironhead without a title is mostly an organ donor. With a title the frame is worth more of course. You will spend Shovel or Evo big twin money building an Ironhead and only have an Ironhead to show for it. It can be a nice spare parts pile for another Ironhead. Ironheads have that classic look but they are not very good "motorcycles" by modern standards or even by Harley standards.

The wise move would be to clean up the parts and part it out on Ebay for a profit, then spend the total on a different motorcycle. That isn't hatin', it's just reality. OTOH later solid mount Evo Sporties fixed everything that killed Ironheads in the marketplace and they are cheap and available. That would get you riding quicker for less money on a better machine.

Never marry what you can pimp. You can make a spreadsheet and plug in all your expenses to compare your options. There is no substitute for seeing the numbers.

Titled Ironhead and Evo Sporty frames turn up for a few hundred bucks on Ebay fairly often. You have to read the ads CAREFULLY since Ebay has some odd rule about stating "title" in the post. The standard phraseology to get around that shit is "Clear (State) TL" or "clean papers" etc but if in doubt message the seller and ASK. Salvage dealers can't typically sell titled frames and most posts are from salvagers. I'd get a titled frame in preference to fucking with a title for some orphan. Bent titled frames can be neck donors for custom frames.
    Last edited by farmall; 03-28-2016, 5:11 PM.

Comment

• docmel
      • May 2015

I'd have to agree w/farmall. Not putting an older iron head sporty down, but for a basket case, $500 is a little much.

If you wanted to title and register it, it would cost about $500, and a huge PIA to with no existing paperwork But.......

If you wanted to build a title it:

There are legit title services that will get you the paperwork. These companies are great for folks that have bought baskets or have bought barn finds with no existing paperwork. Do a search on the I net for these services

Comment

• fBrilliant
        • Sep 2014

too bad there is no title. Nice catch on the $500 Ironhead. I bought mine for a little more, with a title, and dont have near the cost of a shovel or Evo. Love what ya got, it doesn't cost much if you know how to wrench and have the manuals. As said above, there are title services, it is a PIA for sure, but worth it. If you decide to punt this off, let me know. Be ready for a year of working on it a few hours every day and weekends.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Duke1503
          Picked up a 75 ironhead basket case for 500$ problem is there is no sorts of paper work for it

Is it stolen???

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Is it stolen???
            Your local sheriff etc can run the VIN through NCIS if in doubt.

Wrenching cost is determined by how "baskety" a basket case is. I don't count labor since mine is free, but I don't get many free new parts. A basket with an intact engine that was a good running pull is different than a basket with an engine in multiple boxes whose parts are worn out and/or rusty. $500 very baskety Sporty baskets are still fairly common.

Best move is easily determined by doing the math beforehand so there won't be much guessing. Measure what you have then price what you require. Get machine shop quotes for top and or bottom end overhaul, keeping in mind a "ballpark" quote is just that. If you aren't sure about a quote for a machining task, some members here (not me) have shops and you might PM them for an opinion. Freight is reasonable so you should consider having one do the work vs handing your parts to some yokel with only automotive equipment and experience.

Comment

• fBrilliant
              • Sep 2014

Farmall, that is a perfect description of the math involved. Just add 30% when you think you have it all covered. Back when we could pick up basket case Indian Chiefs for $650 complete (and a few boxes of extra parts) you could go to swap meets and pick up any other parts if you needed them.

Comment

• 2011Limited
                • Mar 2012

Check and see if your state offers bonded titles. Do a google search for you area. It cost me $125 to get one in Arkansas.

Comment

• docmel
                  • May 2015

General rule: NCIS does not pick up VINs that have been stolen, but not yet reported
                  No paperwork I don't buy unless:
                  I ensure its not stolen
                  And only then then I have to get a heck of a deal on what I am buying. Getting paperwork on an undocumented engine is expensive, and a PIA factor that should be considered against the asking price

Comment

• bobscogin
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Duke1503
                    Just this from experience: It will take twice as much money and twice as much time as you had planned on allocating to the project.

Bob

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Holy thread necromancy!

Just this from experience: It will take twice as much money and twice as much time as you had planned on allocating to the project.
                      And then it's still an Ironhead. You can make a supermodel out of a lot lizard, but it ain't cheap and she might revert to type without warning.

Everything about the Evo Sportsters is superior if you want to ride your motorcycle.

I like some horrible motorcycles too (Triumphs, Nortons) but I will NEVER tell anyone they are not grenades by modern reliability standards.

Comment

• bobscogin
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by farmall
                        Holy thread necromanc
                        Everything about the Evo Sportsters is superior if you want to ride your motorcycle.
                        Yup, and while your stepping up to an Evo get a 5 speed -- '91+ I think -- with the alternator on the end of the crankshaft where it belongs instead of flailing away in the clutch shell showering the primary innards with fragments of magnets.

Bob

Comment

• panheadpete
                          • Oct 2011

Keep buying those cheap baskets and parting them out - pretty soon you'll have enough cash for a 5 speed evo sporty (Great bikes) and so many old shitty ironhead parts to make some cool sculptures for your front yard

Depending on costs it might be worth doing that and with each frame get the numbers run and if they are OK get them a VT title and sell them with title maximising your returns

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

Good idea on selling titled frames. You can't mention "title" etc on Ebay because of their idiot rules, but if the title (with personal info covered) is in the photos they don't bitch.

Buyers should be VERY careful since anything NOT a clear fucking title is shit, end of story.

You can stash a titled frame or two for your own future use.

Comment

• bobscogin
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by farmall
                              Buyers should be VERY careful since anything NOT a clear fucking title is shit, end of story.
                              Spot on. Over the years, I've heard differing opinions about what a "clear" title is. I generally take it to mean clear of any liens or encumbrances. That doesn't necessarily mean it's in the name of the person possessing it, so I always ask the seller "Is it clear, and is your name shown as the owner, or was it just signed by the previous owner and never transferred?

Bob

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;