CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Bare metal preservation/drop seat swingarm frame

Hey guys,

I have tried searching but I couldn't find the answer to my question, please feel free to link me if I have missed a thread that does.

I have a bare metal fender and tank, and i have seen a number of bikes that seem to have left them bare metal, but they are dark and free of rust, and seem to have no problem keeping decals and stickers on the panel, the tank I got is heavily surface rusted just from handling and leaving it sitting unpainted, however, the rear fender feels like it has a light film of some kind of oil and only has a very small patch of surface rust.

I have included pictures of what I have come across, they're members on here so it would be awesome to hear from them directly, but I'd really appreciate any help about it.

I realise the last picture is completely covered with stickers and could have primer or paint underneath them, but thats the look that i'd be aiming for.

also with the last pic, would that be a custom frame or can you buy dropseat frames/sections like that?
    i've searched for that to no avail as well!

Thanks in advance!
    Tim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1988 sportster Hardtail 1 Small.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	67335

Name:	1988 sportster Hardtail 7 Small.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	67336

Name:	1988 sportster Hardtail 9 Small.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	67337

Name:	12638204904_3bbee48741_b.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	67338

Name:	6_zps2df06025.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	67339

Get Adobe Flash player

Clear coat

Get Adobe Flash player

cheers dude. i have read a lot about clear coating bare metal and it seems to look a lot brighter than the look these guys have. if there is any prep etc that you can suggest or even clears that would work that way.
    thanks.

Could you not slap some matt polyurethane varnish on it?

Or shiny stuff then use 3m scotchbrite to dull it.

Depends how posh you want the finish.

Good luck with it

Drew

Just been reading a old BSH mag and the product your looking for would be called Ballistol. Bavarian produced gun grease. If you want to see the finish I will scan the article.
    Drew

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks heaps drew! i'll have a look into it online, hopefully i can find it somewhere here to safe you the effort, much appreciated bro!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Rust needs moisture and oxygen. Got to be the reason why your rear fender has little rust since some motor or chain oil flew back onto it which helped keep moisture and oxygen from getting to the metal. Many options to get the look your after. BTW the last pic of the stickered tank maybe has stickers then clear coat sprayed on top.
    Clearcoat is now cheap to buy in spray can form and can be had in a darker smoke shade. Like said many options exist.....maybe clear then scotchbrite the clearcoat......or scotchbrite the tank then clearcoat it.... or clearcoat then scotchbrite then clearcoat again. The gun grease is a cool idea but I wonder if it might get onto hands or clothing. Also the grease may wear off and the way you'll know is rust will appear. If you don't want rust to start IMO clearcoat at least a few layers thick is the way to go.

Get Adobe Flash player

Boeshield T-9?

It was developed by the Boeing Company for superior aircraft corrosion protection and the long-term protection of aircraft. Won't eat paint either.

Get Adobe Flash player

i've had my share of bare metal bikes. there's a couple ways to go about doing it. i have clear coated before, a couple brands sell FLAT or MATTE clear coat if you aren't looking to have it glossy. with that you can just spray a TON of light coats. though BE CAREFUL when gassing up your bike because if you spill gas on the tank it will eat away the shitty off the shelf clear coats. also, my preferred method - if you just have a bare metal tank and fender, once a week just wipe it down with WD-40. i've done that with one of mine and it keeps the rust away and it's almost like a polishing ritual :P if you have a bare metal FRAME then i certainly advise you to clear coat.

Get Adobe Flash player

To add a few points and repeat a few as well...

- Matte clear or scotchbrite'ing glossy clear will keep it less shiny

- Don't use regular clear coat from the hardware store. You want SprayMax (or knock-off's like Eastwood) "2K clear". This is a two part clear which is mixed at time of use, just like real automotive paint. It is $20-30 a can. If you buy this, make sure you have a proper respirator and cover all parts of your skin. The fumes and chemicals are no joke.

- Regardless of clear coating, you will inevitably end up with some minor rust developing between the clear and metal. It is minor and you'll only see it a foot away but you should be aware of this.

Get Adobe Flash player

That last picture looks to me like the stickers are actually painted on there. They fit just a little too perfect and I can't see any overlapped edges or the wrinkles you'd expect when you wrap a sticker over a compound curve like that.

Howdy. For the drop seat, I just had my frame done at Speedking (speedkingusa.com). Just starting to put this together, but Jeff does a great job with the frames - plus if he drop seats your frame, it's still a stock harley as far as the DMV is concerned.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you're willing to spend the extra dollars for a permanent solution, they make clear powder coat. That's what I did with my pipes. I can upload a picture of them if you're curious.

Get Adobe Flash player

you guys are awesome! much appreciated for the info!
    a friend from high school actually got in contact with me almost straight after i posted this and hes a painter, offered to paint it for a good price so i couldnt say no, ill put some pics up in the right thread when its again
    thanks again, chopcult is the best resource on the net for building bikes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Permalac

Ooh!

Pics and what products did he use?

Nosey sod😁

Drew

My Sporty tank and rear fender have been bare metal for about 10 years now. Ground down with a DA sander and liberally wiped down with Gibbs oil. I wipe it down with Gibbs 3 or 4 times a year and it still looks like day one.

Get Adobe Flash player

You can use a product called Shark Hide you wipe it on and let it dry and it protects the metal

Get Adobe Flash player

You can buy a flat clear coat from any automotive painter's supply store. Prep the metal, if that only entails wax and grease, and a tack clothe and adhesion promotor, then spray clear as per 'p sheet' recommendation.

Get Adobe Flash player

Does anyone have any input on the best rattle can clear coat found at autoparts stores?

I bought some Dupli-color clear engine enamel because it says its "oil and fluid resistant" Hopefully that will be a little better at keeping the gas drips from eating the paint than regular clear coat. Havent been able to spray my tank because of 17 days of rain. But will post an update when I do
    Just the raw tank when I bought it, now its black to prevent rust but will be stripping it soon.

Name:	KIMG0002adsf.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	306.6 KB 
ID:	69640

Share This