CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default '79 XLS *NEW* Oil pump leaking, help stop the flow

Installed a new oil pump on my 79 XLS, and oil is spewing out the sides of the middle split of the oil pump. The top of the pump has a regular gasket that goes between the pump and the cae, and the split in the middle of the pump has a rubber O ring, and after install and starting up - yes it was tight bolted in - oil is spewing out from the middle split of the oil pump. I have more oil rings and gaskets, but if this is a brand new oil pump, you'd have to assume the rings and gaskets are in their prime so I shouldn't have to replace.

Anyone else had this problem or know wtf is going on? Thank you!

I guess it is possible that you bought a defective pump with a cracked pump housing. Is it from a known quality manufacturer? Or is it maybe a no-name offshore chiwanese knock-off?
    Also, did you look for a clogged vent hose or defective one way check valve? I'm pretty sure the 1979 has the check valve in the timing cover, and the pre-1979 has the valve in the vent hose. Sometimes called a "foo foo" valve. Also, Don't have my book here at the moment, but I'm thinking the pump has to be timed when installing.
    Good Luck!

Get Adobe Flash player

Right on, THANK YOU StuckIn1979 for the reply. It's from VTwin. When removing the cam cover recently, the small metal disc cover was punched/breached on the inside, would this highly effect the pumping of the oil and not let the oiling to function properly?

Get Adobe Flash player

are you sure you have the right pump? the 91 and up pump will bolt on but there will be nowhere for the feed oil to go to

Get Adobe Flash player

This is referring to a 1979 sporty... yes, it's the right pump

Get Adobe Flash player

Seems the bolts that came with it were too long, preventing it from being cranked down enough. Used old bolts, all good!

Share This