Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • godcity108
    • Jan 2012

best choice for electronic ignition in an Evo

aloha. any ideas on the best kind of electronic ignition model for an evo engine in a build i'm building right now? also, this may be a stupid question but does the flywheel position change based on what kind of ignition system you're using, either from using points or does it even differ based on what brand of electronic module you go with? is it TDC or 35° this way or that way?!

thanks y'all! looking for all the sound advice i can get.
  • WillSCB
    • Dec 2014

As far as what ignition will work best, you're gonna get a million different opinions on that. It will depend partially on what you are building. There are a lot of good systems out there, and one consideration isw whether or not you are going to have a kicker on it. Some of them (including stock systems) will only allow the ignition to fire after the engine has made two complete revolutions (making kick starting damn near impossible.) Some of the better more adjustable types will let you select for kick or electric. You can start with electric when set to kick, but not the other way around. As far as your question about crank positioning, your crank stays in the same position. What changes is the timing plate in the nose cone of your engine. Some ignition systems will also have a timing light on the timing plate. Some go off of TDC for one cylinder, some go off the timing mark. You need to go off of the instructions for the specific ignition you are using. I have had good luck with the Dyna S ignition using Rivera Primo stainless steel advance weights. It is a pretty basic, but trouble free set up, but again, it partially depends on what you are looking for and using it on with your evo. Hope this helps to clear up some of your questions, anyway.

Comment

• bbqbob
      • Dec 2015

I am using the Crane Hi-4 in my 89" Evo. Works real well.In my 88 Sporty i'm running a Compu-fire and it works good as well. My buds Evo softy is running a Daytona Twin Tec and it works great also .I'm on my 2nd crane.It gets hot in the nose cone. I have an older one. The newer ones have an Alum. case that acts as a heat sink. If you run a nose cone Ing. it's a good idea to use some washers at the points cover to allow some air in or drill some holes in it to aid in cooling.Or don't use a point cover.

Comment

• jsaz666
        • Mar 2015

I am on my 3rd bike with a Crane Hi-4. They are great, and about the easiest thing in the world to set up and tune. I have never burned one up- knock on wood......

Comment

• WillSCB
          • Dec 2014

Only thing to be careful with with the Crane Hi 4 is to make sure your charging system is in good shape. I have had them burn up because of a regulator going and letting too much voltage through. Maybe they have taken care of this after they were taken over by S&S, but thought I would share this.

Comment

• ironhead86
            • Feb 2011

Something else to factor in on timing is what your building. Drag/street bike, low compression mild mile muncher, dual plugs cams. A BIG FACTOR are you using voes or cutting it out. Some require it grounded to set at full advance like crane. Your timing will be set by your build and what your bike favors. A powerful bike will still be shitty if not tuned to its liking.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;