X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnystick
    • Apr 2013

Harley Noob questions

Hey all,
    Just recently purchased my first Harley, so I'm super stoked. Been riding and cutting up my Suzuki Intruder for years, so I have some idea of making my way around a bike.

Picked up a damn near bone-stock '81 FXS Lowrider with the 80". It has a few add-ons like soft bags, passenger floorboards, luggage rack, that kind of thing. Not looking to chop the crap out of it right away but there are some changes I want to make. First up are shotgun pipes and grips (it has stock foam grips). I want to put on some coke bottles because I love the vintage look.

So here is my question. Looking at the stealership through Harley parts books, the vast majority of the grips available state they will fit years 1984-and up. Why would they not work for an older big twin? Is there a big difference in the throttle before '84 making these grips not work? Or any 1" universal grips for that matter?

I also see that on the HD website that the parts search only goes back to '84. I assume this is just HD not actively shopping parts for what they consider vintage bikes?

Keep in mind I'm not some HD loyalist who has to have HD parts only with Willie G skulls everywhere, and a bar-and-shield on every lump of shiny I bolt to my bike. I just want to make minor changes with minimum hassle, so I can spend more time riding.

Thanks for any and all advice!
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

If your looking for parts at a Harley dealer for a Shovel your wasting your time.... Most will tell you they don't have any parts for bikes that old...

Comment

• skimp
      • Jan 2016

dont quote me but my understanding is that most bikes require you to replace the factory throttle tube, for you to be able to swap grips. I ordered a throttle tube from biltwell to be able to this. once you replace the throttle tube throttle you can use any 1" grips that strike your fancy.

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
        • Jul 2010

Yeah, you won't have much luck at the dealership for Shovels. The one that was closest to me when I lived in Columbia, SC didn't even work on Evos! Luckily there are still many many indy shops and online parts sources to help you with your bike.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by skimp
          dont quote me but my understanding is that most bikes require you to replace the factory throttle tube, for you to be able to swap grips. I ordered a throttle tube from biltwell to be able to this. once you replace the throttle tube throttle you can use any 1" grips that strike your fancy.
          That's new to me...... Any 1" grip should work just fine.....

Comment

• skimp
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
            That's new to me...... Any 1" grip should work just fine.....
            i pulled this from biltwells website "Fitment: This component allows you to replace the thick, generally uncomfortable stock molded one-piece grips on your Harley-Davidson with soft aftermarket grips."

now that i re-read it maybe its just so you can run aftermarket grips.

Comment

• johnnystick
              • Apr 2013

So maybe I'll just do a Whiskey Throttle swap at the same time I do the grips, and all will be right in the world. Thanks for weighing in guys!

Comment

• Ant
                • Jun 2011

That Biltwell stuff is misleading. I just cut my old grips off and put the new ones on.

Comment

• Slamgears
                  • Oct 2015

A 1" throttle tube is a 1" throttle tube. You can change grips out on anything with a razor blade

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;