CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    shovelwitch

Default Five valve keeps in a shovel head?

So I sent in my heads off my shovel to have the seats cut (this was a legit shop where I had it done) and valves ground and the heads assembled. I took a good look at the heads and ran them for a good 8 months and decided to yank them just to see how everything was sitting and wearing. I popped the rear head off, and as I was removing the rocker box loe and behold half a valve keeper came jingling down on my work bench out of the head. I figured fuck how does a valve keeper split and the valve not drop? After I removed the rocker box all the way I observed all the keepers were there and was able to remove the second half out of the intake spring in which the guide was nicked to shit. The stray keep matched up on the split with no obvious particles having separated, although it was mashed a bit. I called the shop and asked them what the fuck, and they said bring it down to take a look but it'll be a couple weeks. I'm just wondering what I should hang them up for, should I split my cases and see wtf is maybe floating around? I'm pissed but I really don't know what kind of real leverage I have to make these guys stand by their work cause I'm not made of money.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

After I had my heads redone, I was looking them over and saw a little line on one of the keepers, and went to feel it with a pick to see if it was a crack and it was, the keeper shot out. The other keeper stayed and the valve didnt fall. I was kinda surprised, but I wonder if only having one keeper may put and offset pressure on the valve and monkey up the valve guide.

Cant really see a reason to split the cases because how would it get down to the lower part of the motor?

Who are you using? Zavero just had head work done by Phil Matthews, hes in Blanchard I think. good stuff.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by shovelwitch View Post
    So I sent in my heads off my shovel to have the seats cut (this was a legit shop where I had it done) and valves ground and the heads assembled. I took a good look at the heads and ran them for a good 8 months and decided to yank them just to see how everything was sitting and wearing. I popped the rear head off, and as I was removing the rocker box loe and behold half a valve keeper came jingling down on my work bench out of the head. I figured fuck how does a valve keeper split and the valve not drop? After I removed the rocker box all the way I observed all the keepers were there and was able to remove the second half out of the intake spring in which the guide was nicked to shit. The stray keep matched up on the split with no obvious particles having separated, although it was mashed a bit. I called the shop and asked them what the fuck, and they said bring it down to take a look but it'll be a couple weeks. I'm just wondering what I should hang them up for, should I split my cases and see wtf is maybe floating around? I'm pissed but I really don't know what kind of real leverage I have to make these guys stand by their work cause I'm not made of money.
    At this point, how do you know if the guys that did the heads left a keeper in? It could have been floating around in your rocker box and come from there right? I'm not saying that's what happened, but it may have been.

Share This