CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Timken bearing star hub on a drum brake FL springer: having me some issues.

Been collecting parts to get my frontend together for what seems like an eternity, and after tons of scavenging, deadends, confusion and good old-fashioned frustration, I got everthing together to finally make my stack of parts into a roller... or so I thought.

I'm running an extended FL springer with the factory drum. The wheel I have is a star 21" with Timken-style bearings in it. I never even considered the bearings being an issue (even though I should know better), but when I went to put everything together I noticed that with the axle sleeve in place, the backing plate wont seat against the drum; it sits up about a quarte of an inch.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Is the solution as simple as machining a bit off of the rear of the sleeve? Any feedback would be mucho apreciated, I want to get this fucker rolling finally.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a timkin bearing star hub, but have never run with a brake on the springer. Give me a day or two to mock mine up and see what happens. I'll report back unless someone else knows.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool, thanks man. I've been searching for info on this, and it looks like the sleeve isn't a bolt and go with the Timkens. I just havn't figured out what dudes have been doing by way of making it work. I'm hoping I can figure a way to make it work with just machining down the sleeve a little. Definitely let me know what happens when you go to mock yours up.

Get Adobe Flash player

Mine is the CCI version, is that what you have? there was also the one made by Nostalgia Cycle years ago. It was kind of cobby looking compared to the CCI hub. Also do you have the corresponding axle? It is machined back where the bearing rides on the right side. I intended to mock this up today, but found out I need to go to a memorial service for two different friends, it's going to eat up most of the day. I will try tomorrow.
    Last edited by ncmc47; 05-02-2015 at 7:11 AM. Reason: computer freeze up

Get Adobe Flash player

Not sure what to tell you, mine went right together with rusty and crusty parts. Are sure you have the correct spacers and axle? Mine were oem with with the axle recommended by CCI. If you don't put the left side brake sleeve through the backing plate it won't work, but you'll be off more than 1/4". If you're using a timkin conversion, that someone put together, the step in the axle on the right side will need machined down the same diameter further to the right side, since the bearings are slightly wider the stock rollers. If you have a local shop, maybe you can compare left sleeve, to make sure it's right. No matter who makes stuff, there are the occasional mistakes. I don't know if it's possible you have a hydraulic brake spacer since I don't know much about them. Sorry I couldn't give you a solution. Best of luck and please share your solution when you find it, which you will if you persevere.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks, man, really appreciate the reply. Im pretty sure I have the right axle and spacers. The origin of the hub is unknown, just an old one I scored to get rolling. I've been working 12hr overtime days for much of what was supposed to be 7 days off, so havnt had a chance to get out to the shop. I'll post up my finding when I finally make it out; right now i'm starting to lean towards the axle being the culprit.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, it's been ages, but I'm right back into tackling this headache of a hub. It would be a he'll of a lot easier to just get a stock star and have it laced to a wm0, but I'm trying to work with what I have.

Does anyone have a source for one of the axles for the CCI hub for FL springer, or for a rebuild kit (the places I could find that listed parts were all out of stock)? My sleeve is tired, and the wheel didn't come with the spacer piece shown in CCI's pics. Also, I read something about needing to set preload on these things, but don't honestly know what that entails.

I'd appreciate any extra info you guys can throw my way.

Post a picture of what you're trying to piece together. go download the knucklehead service manual in the manuals thread. It will have all the stuff you need to know about setting up a big twin Springer.

Right sleeve:

Wrong sleeve:

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks man. Have the correct sleeve and axle for standard star, but I keep hearing conflicting crap about whether the Timken stars can run the stock axle. Also, not sure about the preload, and the spacers that are specific to the CCI type hub.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by spent View Post
    Thanks man. Have the correct sleeve and axle for standard star, but I keep hearing conflicting crap about whether the Timken stars can run the stock axle. Also, not sure about the preload, and the spacers that are specific to the CCI type hub.
    The timken star hubs suck, they require a special axle to fit the bearings properly, and that axle does not fit the oem brake sleeves properly, I did one on a customers bike a few years ago and it was a chore to find the right axle (last time I checked CCI discontinued them) than I had to machine all the pieces to fit the axle sleeve and spacers properly etc.
    You are correct you have to set the preload on the timken bearings as well with those CCI hubs

If you can sell that wheel and still want to run a better bearing setup on a star hub than check these out. They fit all the OEM axle spacers, sleeves, and axles etc etc. We have been using them for over a year and have a ton of them out on the road and they are a much improved design over the original star hub.
    They come just the star hubs
    http://visionarycycleproducts.com/co...s/tires-wheels

or you can get them in a custom built wheel application with your choice of rim and spokes etc.

Just an option for you

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks man. I was actually eyeing those hubs. Wish they came in chrome. I may just sell the wheel and scavenge a good chrome star, one of the WM0 wheels you sell and let Buchanan's handle the rest. Bummed, kinda got a raw deal on this wheel from the get, and was trying to make it work without being another 500+ into this front-end.

Share This