CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    JetBlackII

Default Let's get cooking

So hey; we've seen the BBQ thread, and despite it being tastee... a person cannot live on BBQ alone; they could... and although it would be a very indulgent and yummy try? It would be short lived.

So hey; share some good eats yo. Recipes... food talk and questions, eats found on the road, or in your own backyard... with pictures is always good. One thread rule; please no gross shit, like raw tomatoes... oh and PS? There's already a roadkill food thread so go find that for that.

Here's my patched and pinned shop apron, to get the ball rolling.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Let's make it a sticky.I'll have some input here later when I can browse through the great cookbook in my head.been a cook by trade for 26 years.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get a decent steak,about 12-15oz.coat both sides with granulated garlic and onion,fresh cracked peppercorns,some adobo,your favorite hot sauce, and your favorite beer.let sit for about half an hour.get your grill up to temp.Chop up some fresh garlic,red onion,pablono pepper or Anaheim pepper,heirloom tomatoes and portobello mushrooms. Saute in butter with some olive oil being careful not to burn the butter,unless you like that bitter butter flavor. Add salt, cracked peppercorns and chopped fresh basil.then add heavy cream and reduce heat to let it thicken.meanwhile cook your steak.when its a little below the temp you like,pull from heat and let rest.cover with the sauce you made and enjoy with a loaded baked potato and your favorite veggie. Can also use that sauce to make stirfry dishes over pasta with shrimp,chicken or beef.
    Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 08-24-2015 at 9:44 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Right now I'm smoking some brats over apple

Get Adobe Flash player

Cook some linguine or penne.salt and oil the water(used 20/50 gives a slight metallic flavor so I'd stick with olive or vegetable oil) in saute pan add olive oil and some butter.add chopped garlic,shallots,fresh chives,tomatoes, broccoli, a small touch commercial chicken base(bouillon will work)a little anchovy paste(trust me here),fresh oregano,and a splash of a semi sweet white wine or even a light lime beer.add some shrimp when veggies are close to done as it don't take long to turn shrimp into rubber.toss over pasta.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a hard time with measurements as I've been doing this long enough that I go by eye taste feel smell and sound.

Get Adobe Flash player

Putting oil in pasta water does not a damn thing ! Save your oil . You only need salt .

Get Adobe Flash player

Olive oil adds flavor

Get Adobe Flash player

2 cups flour
    1 1/2 tbs baking powder
    1/2 tsp of salt.
    almost a full cup whole milk more or less depending on the weather
    about an 1 1/2" of of a stick of real butter that is soft

mix it up. mash it out on a floured counter with your hands cut with a water glass making about 2 1/2 " rounds bake on a pan that is dabbed with bit of butter where they will set at 375 till almost brown on top.

mama butchers kittenhead biscuits

some red eye gravy and crispy fried fresh eggs.
    Last edited by 71butcher; 08-25-2015 at 5:47 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

salmon patties

get two cans of the good salmon (red I think) put it in a bowl and take all the backbones out and stuff. Add two eggs and mix well. Add some smashed saltine crackers so it holds together, and fry them up in a pan with a little olive oil so they do not burn or stick to the pan. serve with quartered potatoes with a white cream sauce.

Get Adobe Flash player

The OL is a pseudo vegetarian and often times we prepare separate meals, but she makes these sandwiches that are great:

fry some onions, zucchini, and green, yellow or red pepper in a pan with garlic, salt, pepper and some oil or butter. she cooks them until pretty soft, i like it a bit firmer (you'd think she'd like it firm, HEYOO!).

mix some crushed garlic and lemon juice into mayo. Be generous, this really is the ingredient that makes the sandwich.

Spread mayo on some foccacia or similar bread, put veggies on, top with feta, raw tomato, spinach or other leafy green. (i add a grilled chicken breast to mine)

wrap in foil and Place in oven (or grill) just long enough to melt the cheese and crisp the bread a bit. I usually do like 7 minutes in my grill at like 450-500 degrees.

Get Adobe Flash player

Why don't we combine this and the BBQ thread. I pretty much intended that one to just be a share all food deal anyway.

Get Adobe Flash player

Bacon-jalapeno Trout
    First go catch a mess of fresh trout or if you are a pussy bitch go buy em at the grocery.
    Prepare some jalapeno poppers (cut em in half lengthwise,hollow out, fill with cream cheese and wrap in bacon)
    Bake em at 350 until done(about 20 minutes) in a pan that will hold all the drippings.
    After you get the poppers going.
    Fill chest cavity of trout with a spoon of butter,salt and pepper.
    Put trout in to bake on 350 for 20 minutes (by this time poppers should be done)
    Remove poppers and trout from oven. (I now skin my trout because it pulls off easily but some people eat the skin your choice or you can skin it on the plate later)
    After skinning the trout I pour the grease from the poppers over them and cover with foil.
    Throw them and the poppers back in the oven on broil for 5 minutes. (this crisps up the bacon and finishes cooking the trout)
    Remove and serve with a good pale beer and a salad or some veggies.
    It is a very simple way to prepare a meal and everyone I have ever served it to wants the recipe.

Get Adobe Flash player

Super easy taco chicken whatever the fuck you want to call it.

We eat this quite often when we both are working because it is super easy and delicious.
    There are only two of us so you may have to double the size for a familia.
    Get boneless chicken breasts (fresh or frozen) cream of chicken soup, shredded cheese, noodles or rice(your choice and we change it up) and taco seasoning packet.

Get a casserole dish and mix cream of chicken soup(don't add water) and taco seasoning.
    Add chicken and cover with soup.
    Put in oven at 375 until done.(30 minutes usually but depends on size of chicken)
    Prepare noodles or rice.
    Make a bed of noodle/rice on plate and put chicken breast and plenty of the soupy gravy on it.
    Sprinkle on some shredded cheese and I crumble up some tortilla chips or fritos over it too when I feel fancy. DEVOUR.

Get Adobe Flash player

Oh thank god i need this thread. Help me cook easy food that isn't mac and cheese, guys.

JetBlackII

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse13 View Post
    Putting oil in pasta water does not a damn thing ! Save your oil . You only need salt .
    I like to add minced garlic and dried herbs to the water and some salt; I don't bother with the oil myself as it typically just floats on top anyhow. I add a bit of sugar to my sauce to cut the acid.

OlDirty; if you like the flavor... it's best to strain the noodles off in the colander; drop some oil in it then give it a good swirling around... although, there's typically a good amount of oil in most sauces that are not homemade.

Here's a quick simple linguine; you don't have to stick with the broad flat noodles; i personally prefer angel hair pasta for it.

Grab some parm, some fontina, a pint of heavy whipping cream and a half stick of butter and salt to taste. Put sauce pan on high heat; toss in some herbs by their lonesome in; basil, oregano... to start pulling out some of their flavor and oils, as soon as the kitchen starts getting aromatic and not burning the herbs... reduce the heat, drop in the 1/2 stick of butter and look for the bubbles to start taking a slight brown hue; then pour in half of the heavy cream; bust out a wisk and get to stirring it together once blended, start adding the cheeses... a pizza blend in the bag will work too in a pinch and typically contains romano and mozzarella... fontina is a nice melting cheese and parm is what really flavors linguine with one people know... keep stirring and slowly adding the creme and cheeses til you get the amount and consistency you want.

The noodles should have been in a pot and boiled; by this point, never break your noodles to fit in the pot swirl them in slowly as they start bending from the cooking and always add your noodle into already boiling water... or else they will stick together.... you can add salt to them instead of the sauce; btw egg noodles are very good with the sauce as well, you can add an ever so small splash like 1/2 teaspoon of cooking sherry to the cheese/cream sauce during cooking... always be gentle with the sherry; too much will over power the flavor very quickly, in any sauce you use it in.

Get Adobe Flash player

Somebody post some crock pot recipes , that would help the kitchen illiterate like myself emencely

Get Adobe Flash player

There has been talk of grits lately and this one is easy and delicious. Even better re-heated the next day.

"Cheesy Garlic Grits"

Quick Grits is what I use.

1. Prepare the "1 cup" regular recipe as it shows on the box.

2. As the mixture thickens (3-5 mins.) stir in
    2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar
    1/2 c butter
    1/2 c milk
    2 eggs well beaten
    2-3 garlic cloves - minced or mashed

3. When all this is melted together, pour it into a 2qt, greased casserole or baking dish (I use a 9x13 glass dish)

4. Bake at 350 for one hour or until browning on top.

5. Leftovers are great fried in skillet or microwaved!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by FatKat View Post
    Somebody post some crock pot recipes , that would help the kitchen illiterate like myself emencely
    Most of my crock pot recipes are for deer and bear. Not sure if that would be something you guys are into?
    I do have a stellar chili crock pot recipe but I'm too drunk and tired right now to post it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlackII View Post
    ...always be gentle with the sherry; too much will over power the flavor very quickly, in any sauce you use it in.
    And that's where I always fuck it up. The OL brought home 3 bottles of some Amontillado and neither of us like to drink it so I'm trying to use it up as cooking sherry. It worked great the couple of times I got it right but normally I seem to use way too much.

Share This