CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't have any specific moments, but I think this little story is fairly related.

I was pretty damn close to completely deaf for the last 13 or so years (gotta love modern science), only got it fixed last year. Every single damn song I knew, every time I even thought about the lyrics, something would always be wrong. It was bad. I know the months after the surgeries, I went back to listen to my old favorite songs, and it was a whole 'nother world. Almost every song, I was just sitting jaw dropped going "there was a backup singer on this song?" or "you mean that WASN'T a guitar solo?" Fuck, I hardly understood the point of having a bass guitarist in any band for over half my life because I could never hear them, and if I did, I thought it was reverb on my shitty speakers. Imagine going to a concert to see your old favorite live, and seeing a completely different band onstage playing next to them, and everyone saying "it was always like that, the hell are you talking about?"

Not gonna lie, it was fucking weird experience man.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by J63M View Post
    I don't have any specific moments, but I think this little story is fairly related.

I was pretty damn close to completely deaf for the last 13 or so years (gotta love modern science), only got it fixed last year. Every single damn song I knew, every time I even thought about the lyrics, something would always be wrong. It was bad. I know the months after the surgeries, I went back to listen to my old favorite songs, and it was a whole 'nother world. Almost every song, I was just sitting jaw dropped going "there was a backup singer on this song?" or "you mean that WASN'T a guitar solo?" Fuck, I hardly understood the point of having a bass guitarist in any band for over half my life because I could never hear them, and if I did, I thought it was reverb on my shitty speakers. Imagine going to a concert to see your old favorite live, and seeing a completely different band onstage playing next to them, and everyone saying "it was always like that, the hell are you talking about?"

This sounds spectacularly weird and interesting. How was your hearing restored? I want some new hearing too.

Plush by STP, always thought "with the mastiff hound" was "with the mask I found"

2lanehighways

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by J63M View Post

Back in the 80s one of my customers who was gun crew on a battle ship in WW2 had ear surgery and got a hearing aide. He ran me nuts for about 3 years hearing stuff wrong with his car and bikes.
    Dusty

2lanehighways

always sang wrong to this one www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFhM1XZsh6o

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSheds View Post
    This sounds spectacularly weird and interesting. How was your hearing restored? I want some new hearing too.
    Damn I was late on the draw here, apparently I can't navigate forums for shit. Free warning, description of what killed my hearing is pretty gnarly. Dunno if you want to read it if your eating something.

I didn't lose my hearing from any specific event, I was born with something called cholesteatoma, which basically meant my ears were basically growing non-cancerous (although often infected) tumors from my middle ear area, which would cover and promptly break down my middle ear bones, basically making my ears kinda useless (also, it had the potential to spread to the base of my skull or my brain if it was left unchecked). Basically, every 6 months or so, they would cut the back of my ear off and literally 'hinge' it to remove all the crap in there. Took them 12 years to do that, 'cause if they didn't kill the source, it would keep coming back. They killed it in my right ear in 2010 (by that time, all the bones in my middle ear had fused, but still 'worked' after some surgical tweaks) but only got the stuff in my left ear in 2013, when my middle ear bones were basically a solid clump. Couldn't improve it in any way. So they gave me the choice to basically sever my middle ear and run a piece of metal through my head from my outer ear to my inner ear.

Advantages, I would get my hearing back and it would be borderline impossible to lose.

Cons, I would go permanently deaf in that ear if my body didn't take the implant (they said 50/50, because my body took well to the other stuff, but this was on a whole 'nother level. I mean, they were basically running it to my brain).

So after considering it for all of 20 seconds, I went 'fuck it' and told them go for it, and apparently I got very lucky, because I now have above-average hearing in my left ear. Although I have to get a special card because I set off every single metal detector I walk through. I think its a fair trade.

So yeah, modern medical science. Out of curiosity, I asked the surgeon (who had been literally wrenching on my head for 13 years) how much it would have cost for all the surgeries had I paid for them out of pocket, instead of through the Canadian Healthcare program. He kinda looked at me funny and said "Well J6, its a good thing you were born were you were, because the building we are standing in was cheaper to build then it was to put all that in your head."

Beats paying 50$ a pack for hearing aid batteries for the rest of my life. Plus, I love seeing the look on the face of everyone who works a metal detector when I walk through and they see a 3-inch piece of steel on their display where my ear is supposed to be.

When I was a kid I thought "secret agent man" was "secret Asian man"...

ckamin

"Suicide blond" sounds a lot like "soup and salad bar" (INXS)

Get Adobe Flash player

Yesterday I had "Hold me closer Tony Danza" stuck in my head. I know it's wrong, but it was funny, then it got stuck. I guess it was better than when I had the theme from "The Adams Family" stuck in my head for 3 weeks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Listening to any song that has todo with Love or feelings is gayer than a fruit dip of rainbows!

Unless your music isn't ticking one or all of these boxes
    1) Destruction
    2) rapping hookers
    3) slaughtering the innocence of a thousand virgins

All this underlined with heavy riffs and brutal double base you...are...a...fucking...puuuuussy!

Get Adobe Flash player

For over a decade I've thought Gimme Shelter by the Stones said "She's just a runaway". It says rape in the song, so I thought it was about a girl who had been raped, left home, and needed shelter..... I was watching the new cover by Stone Sour and the lyrics were on the screen. Now I'm completely lost as to what that song says and I've been singing it wrong for like 12 years.... My hearing fucking sucks

Share This