Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tophhill
    • Sep 2015

Sportster Evo Primary/Clutch Issues

I have a 1986 Sportster 1100. I recently had some clutch issues, the clutch spring plate was completely apart. I ended up replacing all plates in the clutch, spring plate and spring. It's feels like a whole new bike!! But the issue I still have is the primary chain. I have the primary chain adjusting screw as far as I possibly can get it in and still can't get the chain tight enough. I replaced the adjusting pad. The Sprockets all look fine and not worn down or damaged. I never replaced the chains and I don't know if the previous owner did, but seems odd if it just recently stretched. What could the issue be? The manual says if the adjuster isn't enough then there could be other problems, but doesn't say what those problems could possibly be.
  • JuiceJames
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by tophhill
    I have a 1986 Sportster 1100. I recently had some clutch issues, the clutch spring plate was completely apart. I ended up replacing all plates in the clutch, spring plate and spring. It's feels like a whole new bike!! But the issue I still have is the primary chain. I have the primary chain adjusting screw as far as I possibly can get it in and still can't get the chain tight enough. I replaced the adjusting pad. The Sprockets all look fine and not worn down or damaged. I never replaced the chains and I don't know if the previous owner did, but seems odd if it just recently stretched. What could the issue be? The manual says if the adjuster isn't enough then there could be other problems, but doesn't say what those problems could possibly be.
    How much play does the chain have?

Comment

• tophhill
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by JuiceJames
      How much play does the chain have?
      With the adjustment screw as tight as I can get it, about 3/4in play when hot. But I am starting to hear it kinda rattle against the primary case

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
        • Jul 2010

99% you just need a new primary chain. There's every possibility you have the original chain from 1986, and once you can't get the proper tension with the adjuster, it's time for a new chain.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;