CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Another Springer Question

Hi All
    I know there are a ton of questions already listed dealing with springers, but I searched and didn't find the answer I was looking for so here I go. Working with a softail springer frontend and putting it on a Kraftech hardtail frame. I've managed to get a frontend in good shape but just wanted replace some of the wear pieces. The problem I am having is when I go to the Harley shop for parts they have to know what bike it came off. Now I bought the frontend at a swap meet and the seller didn't know what it came off of. From what I've seen the all look very similar to me. Can some one break down the differences of the frontends or point me the right direction. I do have a Harley FXSTS Service manual part #99482-88SP, but I don't know if there is a change in the frontend and if so what year or model.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The reason the dealer needs the 'year' is because Harley had a lot of problems with their 'new' springers that first came out around 1988 if I remember correctly. Those forks were on and off again until around 2008 being 'discontinued and then 'reintroduced' even during a single model year. I'm not sure anybody can say for sure what subtle changes might have been made between one run and the other but somebody will probably chime in who has worked at a dealership and has access to all of the part books. I've got several sets of rockers from these newer forks and there is a difference on some of them for sure but I have no idea as to the 'dates' on the sets I have. I doubt if the springs and bushings were ever changed however.

Get Adobe Flash player

Your springer will be stamped FL or FX under the stem bridge

Get Adobe Flash player

Pull the bushings out and measure the inside diameter and the outside diameter then go to your local harwear store and see if they have them, I always check ace hardware first. If they don't have that size see if anyone can direct you to someone who would have it, if all else fails go to the internet and you'll find it. Post a photo of your front end that will help.

Scroll down and I have some pictures of me re doing my rocker bushings http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...t=31258&page=5

Share This