• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JuanCarlito
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by deathmetaldan
    thats what i would do, but i make alot of bad choices in life haha

here is some throttle cables, motion pro can make anything you need
    Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

If you are worried about making your own, think of it like this. Your carb has a return spring.... if you make a cable and it snaps or fails your carb shuts and the bike slows down.
    Well, looks like the little devil on my shoulder has a new name . . . and thats "deathmetaldan" lol
    I did slightly alter a stock Honda CB650 throttle cable I had to fit for now. Little lose at the handlebars but hey, its longer and works lol. Just removed the crash bars from the front to start working on new forward controls and to make room for the air filter on the single carb set up I have going. Might as well start moving forward and worry about the running issue as I go. Besides I am hopefully going to change over to Harley coils/Plug wires over the winter and maybe an M-Unit and new switches...so maybe the firing issue will resolve itself then LOL.

Comment

• deathmetaldan
      • Jan 2011

the power coil will for sure make the bike run better

i only stopped mentioning it because i think most of my posts in this thread mentioned it. Have you tried switching the coils on the harness and seeing if the issue moves?

Comment

• JuanCarlito
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by deathmetaldan
        Have you tried switching the coils on the harness and seeing if the issue moves?

Sorry not sure what you mean by "on the harness"

Comment

• Westboundbiker
          • Oct 2014

swap coils is all I could think. It's not like you can change which wires connect to which coil without swapping the coils, otherwise you wouldn't have proper timing.

Comment

• deathmetaldan
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Westboundbiker
            swap coils is all I could think. It's not like you can change which wires connect to which coil without swapping the coils, otherwise you wouldn't have proper timing.
            this

Comment

• JuanCarlito
              • Aug 2014

A non 'running issue' update ….
              (For more pics check out my photobucket . . . http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/ju...?sort=6&page=3

I had two old sets of bars laying around so I cut them up and re used the pieces to try and make my own pair of mini apes. They are just tack welded in the photo but the shape follows the shape of the tank so I think it looks cool.

Also decided to remove the crash bars and fab some forward controls. This is a shot of the tabs I welded onto a bar to mount to same spot the crash bars were…

This is what I originally came up with but didn't like how the shift linkage was above the bar or how wide they were…

So decided to improve the design and re use parts from the original set up. Stole the threaded mounting tabs and original spacers and re designed the shifter linkage to sit below the bar. Also cut down the bar to 10.5" each side from centre.

And in the end it came out look like this . . . . I do still need to figure out the brake side as the pedal is still in stock spot so its sort of a heel brake right now.

I will have to extend some wires etc for the new bars I think So while I have that all apart I might relocate the ignition as well. Still have to remake the single carb manifold out of a more permanent material than pvc and then I want to upgrade to Accel Super Coils I think and maybe a new battery as well. Then on to some more chopping and painting etc….

Comment

• ScottArcher
                • Jan 2014

Hey, so I kind of skimmed through the posts but I assume you still have the PVC manifold. I'm running a single carb manifold with a BST40 carb on my bike. I recommend building or buying a metal manifold. Main reason being the metal is going to insulate heat from the heads better. This helps keep your fuel atomized which is important since with a single carb manifold on these bikes one cylinder is further away from the carb. SeaRayGuy makes good manifolds that he posts on ebay with a ton of information in the description. Here's an auction for one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/virago-manif...2e29ce&vxp=mtr

I have an 1100 virago but let me know if you have any questions on the bike. I also have a chopped wiring diagram I made that might help if you want to make one for the 700.

Comment

• ScottArcher
                  • Jan 2014

Oh yeah, I have nearly a full Virago 1100 completely parted out also. Let me know if you need anything. I'll check and see if I have extra throttle cables with me at college but they might be 100 miles away back home.

Comment

• JuanCarlito
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by ScottArcher
                    Oh yeah, I have nearly a full Virago 1100 completely parted out also. Let me know if you need anything. I'll check and see if I have extra throttle cables with me at college but they might be 100 miles away back home.

Thanks for reaching out man. I will let you know if I have any questions. As for the PVC manifold, I do still have it but as I mentioned its just a temp set up to get my ideas together, I will be fabricating a metal version here shortly

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                      • Oct 2014

Jeebus, those look like some wide set controls. Maybe it's just the perspective in the pictures, but it looks like you'll be sitting with your legs wide open! Not to mention, if they're really far out there, they might drag in corners really easy.

Comment

• JuanCarlito
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Westboundbiker
                        Jeebus, those look like some wide set controls. Maybe it's just the perspective in the pictures, but it looks like you'll be sitting with your legs wide open! Not to mention, if they're really far out there, they might drag in corners really easy.
                        They do currently sit wide,although pic angle makes it look worse, About 1.5" wider than stock per side. These are version 1 though and will still get narrowed. Plus I have an idea for a new set that will better fit the planned style in the end.

Comment

• ScottArcher
                          • Jan 2014

yo Juan I have a crispy throttle cable here with me

Comment

• JuanCarlito
                            • Aug 2014

yo Juan I have a crispy throttle cable here with me
                            Just thinking, is it stock length? I think I will need a longer one if I go with the mini apes?

Comment

• deathmetaldan
                              • Jan 2011

Hey, so I kind of skimmed through the posts but I assume you still have the PVC manifold. I'm running a single carb manifold with a BST40 carb on my bike. I recommend building or buying a metal manifold. Main reason being the metal is going to insulate heat from the heads better. This helps keep your fuel atomized which is important since with a single carb manifold on these bikes one cylinder is further away from the carb. SeaRayGuy makes good manifolds that he posts on ebay with a ton of information in the description. Here's an auction for one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/virago-manif...2e29ce&vxp=mtr

I have an 1100 virago but let me know if you have any questions on the bike. I also have a chopped wiring diagram I made that might help if you want to make one for the 700.

the searay guy intakes do work pretty well and last time i had one they were cheap, be prepared for welds that look like complete ass though if you do get one. Its cool that the guy makes them but he really hasnt taken the time to refine the process and learn some pipe fitting skills.

Comment

• ScottArcher
                                • Jan 2014

Lol yeah the welds on it look like bird shit. I've never had any air leaks though. Also if you have a single carb off the right side your engine you should have like an extra foot on your throttle cable. Buy the bars first and see how much you need though.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;