CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Oil question

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Oil question

73 ironhead. Had a busted piston, redid the top end, cleaned the heads, lapped the valves, new wiseco pistons, fresh bore oem jugs, changed the oil. I'm guessing it had 10w-40 previously, just because ih's are noisy I went for 20w-50. I'd also mention it has one of those inline oil filters on the motor mount plate. Brand new k&n oil filter. It doesn't leak sitting, but whenever I start it up oil just pukes from inlet fitting. I've checked the tubing at the connection, trimmed it in case it was cracked somewhere, and used a new hose clamp, still the same thing. I'm new at this so I don't know if the oil is too thick or if I'm just overlooking something.

Get Adobe Flash player

Did ya clean out/inspect the oil pump?

Quote Originally Posted by smitty476 View Post
    73 ironhead. Had a busted piston, redid the top end, cleaned the heads, lapped the valves, new wiseco pistons, fresh bore oem jugs, changed the oil. I'm guessing it had 10w-40 previously, just because ih's are noisy I went for 20w-50. I'd also mention it has one of those inline oil filters on the motor mount plate. Brand new k&n oil filter. It doesn't leak sitting, but whenever I start it up oil just pukes from inlet fitting. I've checked the tubing at the connection, trimmed it in case it was cracked somewhere, and used a new hose clamp, still the same thing. I'm new at this so I don't know if the oil is too thick or if I'm just overlooking something.
    This is the inlet fitting at the oil filter?

Sounds like a blockage, have you get them fitted the lines the right way round? When the motor is running try disconnecting the outlet side of the filter and see if the oil is making it through..should be a steady stream of oil.

You could also try looking in the oil tank when the engine is running, you should be able to see a steady stream of oil being pumped in.

Nick

Get Adobe Flash player

Unfortunately checking the oil pump would require taking the motor out. But I don't think that matters at this point. The lines are set up the same as when the bike was running. I had time to check it today. Disconnecting both lines oil flows out fine. Reconnecting the feeding line to the inlet fitting without the filter on the other side, oil flows fine. As soon as I reconnect the oil filter the feed line starts shooting oil from the fitting side. So I'll try a lighter oil and a different filter and see what happens.

Get Adobe Flash player

I wouldn't go w/lighter oil. Your filters too restrictive.

Get Adobe Flash player

Those engines do fine on straight weight oils. If it ain't behaving the problem is not the lubricant.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Those engines do fine on straight weight oils. If it ain't behaving the problem is not the lubricant.
    Sure do, I've been using 60 weight for as long as I can remember, but it's fuggin hot here. In winter if I'm going out of town (and over the mountains) I will put 50 weight in. I'm a big fan of Valvoline High Performance, but if you change at normal regular interval all brands of oil are equally effective at lubricating these sloppy tractor motors.

Share This