Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoadDevil71
    • Feb 2014

Titling Paughco frame in Colorado?

I have a '70 shovel that I swapped frames out on. Riding with a Paughco frame now and need to get bike registered and tagged here in Colorado. Bike was titled in Ohio off the original frame, which is still in Ohio. I figure I have to take the bike to the state police to verify? DMV and emissions are clueless. Anyone ever go thru this?
  • TheDave
    • Aug 2012

I titled a special construction bike in Colorado. You must go to the state patrol and schedule a inspection, bring all ur documentation with you (mso and bills of sale). Then u fill out a form u can get on the Colorado dmv website, fill that out and send it in for an additional check to make sure there are no liens on the bike parts. Once you get the results of that check, u fill out another packet and send that into the title section in Denver and they send u more paperwork back. You take that to the state patrol and they give u ur vin plate. The dmv website is your friend, and ur better off calling the head dmv office in Denver rather than deal with the locals. Enjoy and pm me if u have more questions.

Comment

• docmel
      • May 2015

Originally posted by TheDave
      I titled a special construction bike in Colorado. You must go to the state patrol and schedule a inspection, bring all ur documentation with you (mso and bills of sale). Then u fill out a form u can get on the Colorado dmv website, fill that out and send it in for an additional check to make sure there are no liens on the bike parts. Once you get the results of that check, u fill out another packet and send that into the title section in Denver and they send u more paperwork back. You take that to the state patrol and they give u ur vin plate. The dmv website is your friend, and ur better off calling the head dmv office in Denver rather than deal with the locals. Enjoy and pm me if u have more questions.
      '
      Im assuming you don't have any numbers on your new frame

There is NO reason you need to go thru the above, unless you like the hassle and want your bike titled as a special construction, like to deal w/cops and the hassle of SC paperwork

If you have title already in your name, all you have to do is

1. Go to any car lot or dealer in Co that does VIN inspections. Call around, allot of used car lots do it. Costs about $15-$25, they will have the form. Show them the VIN on your engine. All they do is look at the VIN on your bike and then write the VIN on the form. They then sign it and then give the form to you. Its not a VIN check to see if its stolen, it just to verify that what they see is indeed what is now entered on the form. Some cops shops will do a VIN, myself, I keep them out of it.

2. Take the VIN verification form, your current title and proof of insurance to the DMV IN YOUR COUNTY OF RESIDENCE. (You cant go to any DMV, it has to be in the county that you reside). Pay the title fee, the tag fee and road tax. You will get your registration and license plate right there. Your new title comes in the mail in 3 weeks or so

Comment

• TheDave
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by docmel
        '
        Im assuming you don't have any numbers on your new frame

There is NO reason you need to go thru the above, unless you like the hassle and want your bike titled as a special construction, like to deal w/cops and the hassle of SC paperwork

If you have title already in your name, all you have to do is

1. Go to any car lot or dealer in Co that does VIN inspections. Call around, allot of used car lots do it. Costs about $15-$25, they will have the form. Show them the VIN on your engine. All they do is look at the VIN on your bike and then write the VIN on the form. They then sign it and then give the form to you. Its not a VIN check to see if its stolen, it just to verify that what they see is indeed what is now entered on the form. Some cops shops will do a VIN, myself, I keep them out of it.

2. Take the VIN verification form, your current title and proof of insurance to the DMV IN YOUR COUNTY OF RESIDENCE. (You cant go to any DMV, it has to be in the county that you reside). Pay the title fee, the tag fee and road tax. You will get your registration and license plate right there. Your new title comes in the mail in 3 weeks or so
        All this is true, however your title would not be legitimate being that all bikes 70 and beyond were titled to vin numbers on the frame not the motor. 90% of time this won't be a problem as cops generally don't check vin numbers during a traffic stop, however, if you make and insurance claim or run into a anti-theft task force at a large biker gathering they are going to be looking at your frame which will have no numbers, then you'll have a problem.

Good luck
        Dave

Comment

• seaking
          • Jul 2013

Keep the frame ya dangus and run the bike with the paughco.

Sell the bike? Sell the OG frame with the bike.

Comment

• Red
            • Aug 2010

used http://aircarecolorado.com/ for my VIN Verification, $20

Already had a CA title, painless. Much easier than getting the CA title from 'Off record'

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;