Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sixfootdan
    • Sep 2013

1970 BSA Firebird bobber build

Been looking for a old Triumph or BSA to make a hardtail bobber. I found a 1970 BSA 650 Firebird for $500 Bucks with a title. I bought it just from this shitty cell phone pic.

I drove to Olympia to get it and it was way more complete than I expected.

The guy was the orignal owner and passed away, His wife said he started tearing it down to restore it.

I brought it home and oiled the cylinders and checked for spark which was good. So I put the plugs back in and gave her some starter fluid and VROOM VROOM! It's pretty clean so I had second thoughts about cutting it up to tig a hard tail on it. Well fast forward 2 years of working overtime, commuting, and moving I've decdecided to hack it up. I ordered a bird 4 x 2 1/2 hardtail this week, It won't be a fast build but I'll take pics of the journey.
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Nice score.

You'll do well Ebaying the leftovers.

Comment

• Tigerbob
      • Apr 2015

Man, $500 goes a lot further on your side of the pond!

Great score!

And like Farmall says, there'll be plenty of restorers and cafe jockeys keen to get their hands on some of those parts!!!

Comment

• sixfootdan
        • Sep 2013

Thanks guys it's up on jacks read for tear down.

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
          • Mar 2014

Look like you are going to have a killer summer, nice find!

Comment

• sixfootdan
            • Sep 2013

She is getting naked and I'm getting socially lubricated.

Comment

• sixfootdan
              • Sep 2013

It won't be the fastest build on the planet seeing as how I usually work 6 days a week but here are a few more pics.

David Bird hardtail

A homemade tank my buddy gave me, I dig it. I may weld a tube through it like the original BSA tanks did.

Just started the alignment process last night.

Comment

• sixfootdan
                • Sep 2013

Welded up my frame and mocked it up as a roller to see how it sits. Right now its 2 1/4" higher in the front.

Cut out and old repair and patched it. Then I cut a new 2" hole to build a pocket for the stock bsa tank mount that goes through the tank, I've always liked that style. The local muffler shop gave me a scrap of 2" pipe and I used the plug I cut outalong with some 3/8" pipe to make the mount. I also figured out the tank is not homemade, It says paughco in the tunnel lol.

Here it is with a cool looking bronze wing nut for my hold down.

Need to make a spacer for the rear wheel and figure what forks I'm going to use.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                  • Apr 2012

Looks like it will be a cool build, and you got one hell of a good deal! Score!. Now, Im not trying to be a dick here and please understand I like customs AND restored, love them all and when I used to run a shop what kept me in business was the customs because people actually ride them (and break them too) while the anally retentive bolt polishers just trailer their show bikes.

But, I really wish when someone comes across a bike largely all original, numbers matching and restorable you would instead consider NOT cutting them up. Restoration grade bikes are few and far between. Orphan and bastard bikes and parts are all over the place. I wish there was a central place where people could hook up and get what they want and need. I have LOTS of mismatched cases, engines, frames and parts and would have made you a sweet deal. You get what you want, and I would have kept that thing together whether I built it or found someone who would have. Everyone wins. I also get bummed when I spend years piecing together a project (12 years on my 59 Bonnie, 10 years on my 48 speedtwin, 8 years on my BSA Spitfire and Clubmans, etc etc) and then I see someone parting out a better example.

Im never going to be able to build all the bike basket cases I have but I do try and find new owners who will, and get them on the road. That includes cafes, bobbers and choppers as well as restorations. I also work with people to find the resources, parts and info they need. There are literally crap tons of parts out there. I have been to auctions and sales of literally warehouses full many times. What we dont have much of are nice original bikes.

So, not trying to hijack your thread, It is a cool build! But I am hoping anyone reading this thinks about this a bit. And, I got a 68 Firebird project bike, very restorable, and of course PM'ed you about parts. It could go to a new home as well but the parts coming off this one could help it a lot. I got a BSA A65 Bobber basket case as well, probably be a few bucks more than $500 but hey, this bike here was a smokin deal anyone would agree. See my ad on classifieds, I got a 52 BSA i didnt have the heart to part out, its looking for a new home.
                  If you need parts or tech help im happy to help, Im also here in the NW so im not hard to find.

Comment

• ctluba
                    • Apr 2013

Cool build!! I like your shop and all the toys you got in there 😎

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Anyone offing BSA parts or needing them should find a BSA owners club. I'm not a BSA guru and hadn't noticed prices are climbing for complete machines. (Chobber bait OTOH is HIGHLY abundant.)

At AMA VIntage Days at Mid-Ohio this weekend stock-ish A65s in about that bikes condition were going around 2500 and up for non-scramblers. (Scramblers tend higher.) A nice resto would be in the high fours and up.

There were plenty of other potential British chobber parts too. The majority was Japanese and European stuff with a shitload of vintage dirt bikes thrown in. There were many single cam CB 750s at reasonable priced. It was big fun so I'm going back next year.

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days, Mansfield, Ohio. 11,059 likes · 57 talking about this · 6,060 were here. Three-day motorcycle fest! AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days: The 2023 event takes place on July 21-23.#AMA

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;