Sporty drum brake on my pan, 17mm axle for Harley springer?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikewerx
    • Aug 2013

Sporty drum brake on my pan, 17mm axle for Harley springer?

So I'm putting a sporty drum brake on the front of my pan, and I have a stock harley early springer, but the axle size for the early sporty wheel is 17mm.. which is kind of crazy.

I need it to fit through my springer rockers, and be wide enough to fit between them. Looking through my Vtwin catalog, I can't find any 17mm axles anywhere, or even on J&P cycles, all I see is 5/8" or 3/4". Anyone know what axle will fit?

The space between the rockers is 9.25", one rocker seems to be 17mm, and the other seems to be 1/2".

Right now I could drill out the other rocker to also be 17mm, OR rethread the axle to fit through the 1/2" opening

the axle I got is pretty beat, so I wanted to grab another one from Vtwin or something... can anyone help?

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by mikewerx; 05-27-2015, 8:02 PM.
  • mreed
    • Dec 2010

It's pretty straight forward if you are willing to drill out your rockers.

I bought a REAR axle from KC International. The head is stepped to fit the axle adjuster slot and the washer/spacer for the nut side has the same step. Both of my rocker holes were already 3/4" so I simply turned down the steps on the axle and washer/spacer to 3/4". If one of your rockers holes is already 17mm you could just drill the one that isn't.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1283335
    Last edited by mreed; 05-29-2015, 6:09 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
    Working...
    ;