CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Springer "fixed" riserless handle bars....welded/clamp to the top clamp IDEAS

i want to do away with the risers on my bike because they are an eyesore. on most my bikes i run riserless bars but with a springer its not an option. i know some people have built bars welded directly to the top clamp or even bars that clamp in the clamp.......i am just looking for some ideas before i build mine. i know some people use the cros nest but to me seems a little $ for me. not saying anything bad about because he does amazing work.....i have a lathe and could machine a slug to go into the legs and be welded to the bars if needed if i use the clamp to actually clamp the bars.....i also like the bars i have and could modify them too. i already want to make slight changes to them anyway

[URL=http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/metricmotomike/media/MY%20BIKES%20PLUS/E07775CF-01DD-4D69-8127-E4F7D295ADEC_zpsd3ew5voo.jpg.html][/URL

Get Adobe Flash player

how about the bars mounted directly to a dogbone style top tree? remove the center tube of the bars, weld on clamps to the plates and clamp them directly to the tree.

Get Adobe Flash player

I did this:

There's a guy over on the JJ doing it with slugs and set screws.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by crush1776 View Post
    I did this:
    There's a guy over on the JJ doing it with slugs and set screws.
    are those welded to the top tree? I have a long springer with dogbones and looking for ideas to change it up as well. right now it has 6" dogbone risers and i'm running 3 inch Zbars that are inverted, it looks good but you have to lean pretty far forward while riding.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
    are those welded to the top tree? I have a long springer with dogbones and looking for ideas to change it up as well. right now it has 6" dogbone risers and i'm running 3 inch Zbars that are inverted, it looks good but you have to lean pretty far forward while riding.
    Yep, welded to the top tree no problem, took an old set of internal throttle bars, cut them up, ground off the chrome at the weld point and went to town. Clamps still work and everything.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by crush1776 View Post
    Yep, welded to the top tree no problem, took an old set of internal throttle bars, cut them up, ground off the chrome at the weld point and went to town. Clamps still work and everything.
    looks nice, not sure how it would look on mine, it's somewhere around 18 over springer on about a 43 degree rake. I would also need at least 6 inches of rise to get the bars back into a more comfortable position.

Get Adobe Flash player

i haven't made the bars yet, but heres how im setting them up. Made the slug/cap out of stainless, with a bolt countersunk in that threads into the rear legs. The OD of the slug is made to have 1'' .120 wall slide on, then when the bars are done i will weld a small bung with set screw on 1'' from the bottom of the bars and the set screw will seat in the groove of the slug.

Get Adobe Flash player

Vnygra make sure you post pics when doen they look great so far

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by vnygra View Post
    i haven't made the bars yet, but heres how im setting them up. Made the slug/cap out of stainless, with a bolt countersunk in that threads into the rear legs. The OD of the slug is made to have 1'' .120 wall slide on, then when the bars are done i will weld a small bung with set screw on 1'' from the bottom of the bars and the set screw will seat in the groove of the slug.

are you going to drill a hole in that set up where the set screw goes? i would be worried a little set screw wont hold them.....

Get Adobe Flash player

There will be a bung to have more threads than just drilling and tapping .120 wall. And by set screw I mean a 5/16" set screw not a tiny one. It will seat in the groove on slug.
    Last edited by vnygra; 05-02-2015 at 2:44 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by vnygra View Post
    There will be a bung to have more threads than just drilling and tapping .120 wall. And by set screw I mean a 5/16" set screw not a tiny one. It will seat in the groove on slug.
    I like this setup, but my springer is a Paugho I believe (half round legs that flatten out as they get to the bottom) the top of the legs are dimpled but not drilled and tapped. I have thought about drilling and tapping but just never done it. the dogbones kinda make it hard to run most bars, or even make bars that are cool. the inside width of the risers is about 7 inches.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm with you about risers on springers. I've done them several ways.

Make bars that bolt where the risers did

Weld them right to the top clamp

but lately I've just been making the whole top clamp & bars as one because the top clamps themselves are not super attractive

All you need to do is find out what is dictated (mount) and where you want them to end up (grips) then get creative in the middle

Get Adobe Flash player

Thats what im talking about.

Where did you get those handlebars from oldschoolhdmike?

Share This